Preparations update

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by NaeKid, Feb 6, 2010.

1. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

I painted my bench and the color is called OUTRAGIOUS! IMG_1185.JPG

Siskiyoumom likes this.
  2. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

I'm getting ready for the next big lighting strike or whatever comes in on the utility line. IMG_1358.JPG

3. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

This is a windsock, IMG_4832.JPG they are readily available on the internet and this is the largest size available. I want to know which way the wind is coming from at a moments notice because of airborne contaminates like chemical, biological, or nuclear dangers. Buy two or three, they do wear out.

4. Fatduk 1963

Fatduk 1963 New Member

Howdy I have just been reading all the post's for a year now . I thought it was time to add my 2 cents. just canned 12 quarts of my wife's burn yo butt salsa , first of the year !

5. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

BlueZ and Siskiyoumom like this.
  6. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

This old house.jpg I would like to paint this on the side of my cargo container.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    BlueZ likes this.
  7. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

20 LED 4ft shop lights make for a well lit shop. The white panels are from door cut outs. When windows are put into a fiberglass door the opening is cut with a CNC machine and the panel now becomes surplus scrap. 1 1/2" thick, foam in the center and thin layer fiberglass on both sides makes for a very durable bright surface. 045.JPG

8. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

Sam's club had these cases on sale for $20 ea so I bought a bunch of them. Some of the items I store in them. 20180528_122300A.jpg

BlueZ likes this.
  9. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

The R-390A was deployed to most branches of the US military and remained in general use through the 1980s. The last major update to its documentation was in 1984. As the military procured newer receivers, many R-390As were released to surplus while others were destroyed. Some receivers were retained by the services, however, when they found that the R-390A's vacuum tube circuitry could easily survive an electromagnetic pulse. There are reports, possibly apocryphal, that R-390A receivers are still in use aboard U.S. Navy submarines since the receiver can withstand the strong radio frequency fields found aboard ship.[1]

Many of the R-390As that exist today are in the hands of vintage amateur radio collectors and amateur radio operators who contend that few modern solid state communications receivers can equal its performance. There is a wealth of information, both printed and electronic, devoted to R-390A restoration and maintenance, as the R-390A is widely considered an example of the best of vacuum tube technology.[1] 051.JPG

BlueZ likes this.
  10. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

11. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

New asparagus bed. file photos 036.jpg file photos 037.jpg

12. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

Do you have your lifeboat built? file photos 151.jpg

Siskiyoumom likes this.
  13. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

I bought an assortment of antennas at a barn sale along with some fiberglass mast. I believe most of them are in the uhf, vhf, 10, 11, and possibly 15 meter band, I haven't gotten around to doing anything with them. 002.JPG

Siskiyoumom likes this.
  14. Siskiyoumom

Siskiyoumom Member

I finally retired. Hubby, daughter and I expanded our garden. Water bath canned plum and blueberry jam today. Hubby went fishing today off the coast and got some nice black rock cod. Weather has been awesome!

BlueZ likes this.
  15. headhunter

headhunter Member

You're right, you can't be afraid of work; we've been here since '78. This spring there were two frost boils too large to ignore. You know the kind where even a 4X4 can end up with its frame on the ground. Both were on the bottom of the apron to the big shed, one on the east side and one on the west side - right where the apron hits the driveway. ( Since, I've asked why the black dirt works its way up through the gravel. I've been told that driving over saturated ground works like a suction pulling the finer black dirt upward.) I dug a 103' long trench with the bucket on the JD.and a little pick and shovel work did the rest . The rainfall this spring kept the ground soft and made it very clear whether I was paying attention to grade. I covered over the 4" perforated tile with washed rock and that was followed by "road rock". After several heavy rains my tile is running. Wood vine, down trees, and blizzards have no respect for one's age.

BlueZ likes this.
  16. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

BlueZ likes this.
  17. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

What else do you have in your porridge? Just table scraps or do add other ingredients?

BlueZ likes this.
  18. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

I set up a power beyond outlet so when my neighbor needs electric he just plugs into the receptacle. I charge him 12 cents a kwh for running his maple syrup operation. IMG_1463.JPG

BlueZ and txcatlady like this.
  19. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

I started out rust preserving my truck with Fluid Film but I found that it didn't work any better then chainsaw bar oil and a lot cheaper. I also at the same time changed out the springs and shocks in the front and back. IMG_1437.JPG IMG_1438.JPG IMG_4940.JPG . The springs are almost 1" dia coils and the shocks are adjustable Bilstein. Truck prices are ridicules so I don't mind putting money and time into this.

20. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

I have three of these things, Citi-phone-SS Cb radios all tube no transistors. This was my first cb radio back in the early 60s and I thought it was so exciting to be able to talk to someone over the airways. Anyways I thought I would 014.JPG s9_mag_july_1964_pg39.gif experiment moving the crystals around and see if it will go outside the cb band.