Prepared Society Forum banner
6,681 - 6,700 of 7,515 Posts
Pulled up the spent broad beans from the gardens today and have them drying on the back veranda for seeds to plant next season.

We also arranged with our apiarist friend to borrow our trailer to bring back some bee gear from 800km away and he insisted he will fill up another 15kg container of honey for us for free saving us another $129 over buying honey. This should bring us to about a years supply for us.

The puppy is great for walks. My border collie is part of my get fit program, we walk 4-5 km first thing every morning ... well second thing, coffee comes first. She doesn't care whether or not I feel like walking, she needs to go and keeps me on track.

It's been a bit crazy here lately. I'm still fixing up the new house, and bringing my preps over from the other place. I'm still surprised at how much I had put away. With that said, I got a new freezer and with the deer I shot, it's already full. This winter, I'll be making a spreadsheet with all of my preps, so that I can better keep track of dates and supplies. I've also been trying to improve the security around the house. New locks installed, reinforced strike plates, longer screws, sensors, etc. It'll take a little time, but it will be worth it.

Picked up some water on sale, normally don't buy it but it caught my eye. Bought some dehydrated dog food for our trip to BOL for 2 weeks over Christmas and a couple of bags of chicken feed on sale. I have to pack it in so I want it as light as possible. Forged 2 shelf brackets at blacksmithing class. Bought a ton of wine on sale, medicinal of course:D. Bought 2 bags of traction sand.

The grandson has passed the 16th birthday. Two weeks back I told him it was time to begin seriously learning pistol craft. "Well, what do you want to shoot?" "Grandpa what about the .45?" "Good enough." He's already spent some time with a Ruger 5 1/2 " bull barrel and a Ruger SP 9c and a .357. We talked some about the differences in the .45 and a 9 MM. We went over the laws. So, out we went, after he tried the isosceles stance and the Weaver stance and got a lot more comfortable just handling the thing. i decided to start him at 25 feet, nothing builds confidence like success. He managed to keep two magazines on a B-26 (torso) target. I was happy, he was happy. The granddaughter join us with her 10-.22 (she isn't allowed to shoot a B-26 target). Grandpa did a little shooting too. The three of us had a great day. The grandson went home with a .45 and a smile.
Christmas has come and gone and the granddaughter received a new get home bag, light and heavy boots and insulated pants. She has really grown, i sure hope she quits 'cause it is expensive when I guess wrong how big she'll be next year. The grandson had last year's deer hide tanning paid for ($45) and 180 rounds of 5.56. i think it's about time for him to be introduced to the reloading press.
Did you know that those plastic water bottles - the ones we buy by the case, are built so if they freeze while being transported in eighteen wheelers they won't break?

First trip to BOL over long work break stayed a few days, worked on trail to get our large tracked vehicle out of there. Heading back in tomorrow to do some more work. Puppy performed superbly on her first trip in and out. A long trip for her both days. I wore her out I think, hard to do that to a puppy. Stayed out for a couple days to take care of chickens at home, heading back in tomorrow to finally get machine out and take wife in for a few well deserved days of rest.

Picked up some extra batteries today... AA Energizer Ultra Lithiums. The best (and most expensive) AAs money can buy.
Aldo picked up a 4 pack of "D". Those due to shipping weight I rarely order online.
Saw Walmart Carry some C123s. for I think 5 bucks each. Dont remember what the going rate is supposed to be.. in any event i have plenty of 'em already....

Used a gift certificate purchased from radio auction to purchase a new winter face mask with a plastic insert to help winter breathing and also help stop fogging goggles. Also purchased some sutures and more butterfly bandages. Took in an overdue CO2 fire extinguisher to get refilled and certified. Spent a lot of time over the last couple weeks hiking in and out of BOL and retrieving our tracked vehicle so wife could go in for a few days. Puppy did great on her first full hikes in and out. A lot of miles for her.

My 100 mile race is all consuming now, either treadmill or running outside. All treadmill work is at 15% incline. This Monday will be a 4 1/2 hour push on treadmill. Speed is slow no more than 3 mph. Tomorrow will be an approx. 20 mile sledging round trip. Added 6 more gals. to water storage. Wife bought 3 cases of flavored water also so we're doing pretty well. My prepper friend gave me a line on a local blacksmith who makes broadforks. Will try to pick one up in about a month. Wife really liked the Springfield Armory M6 survival rifle when I showed her You Tube videos. I have the go ahead to pick one up thru my FFL friend if I can find one. I've seen a couple:D

Finally pulled the trigger on a PVS 14... Ready Made Resources financed it and gave me a bump hemet and mount to boot.

Still training up for hand to hand, doing Krav.

Expanded my group again, good find, pilot.

6,681 - 6,700 of 7,515 Posts