Preparations update

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by NaeKid, Feb 6, 2010.

1. musketjim

musketjim Well-Known Member

Ordered my next batch of supplements, those are a crucial part of my preps so I purchase the best I can and use a lot. Waiting for my fire cider to finish curing but I never did make my oregano tincture. I think I'll buy some and try to make it. My workouts are switching to longer runs getting ready for my 100 miler. It's tough while I'm still lifting heavy.

CrackbottomLouis and weedygarden like this.
  2. timmie

timmie timmie

hubby went to get results of heart tests and everything came back good , no heart trouble , so maybe his thyroid and meds seem to be helping. great news. he said now he can quit being a couch potato . doc said not too fast , give the meds time to work and check back with family doc in 2 weeks. we picked all of our peppers today ahead of frosty temps. jalepeno , bell ,tabasco , and cayenne. dish pan of each. lot of pepper to put up. also picked up pecans . so far we have gotten about 75 pounds. so proud of them . we have been fertilizing them for 5 years and this year they paid off.

3. fteter

fteter Well-Known Member

Adding more water to the inventory...four more 55 gallon barrels (yes, I do smell of bleach as I write this...why do you ask?). That'll give us 520 gallons of drinkable water for our long-term preparations. We also keep water with our 72 hour bags and a rotating 2 week supply of bottled water.

The water thing has been bugging me for a bit now, so it feels good to do something about it.

4. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

Is scraping out 2 large pumpkins and collecting the seeds for roasting a preparations update? Cause if so that is my update. :) These were the 2 not selected for carving. The wife is collecting the pumpkin flesh as I type this. I am just in charge of guts and seeds.

5. sewingcreations15

sewingcreations15 Hard working Aussie

Yep that counts Sentry18 :) as it is decorations preparations and the seed are food storage too. Can you use the pumpkin flesh from those for soups, pureed pumpkin and things ?

6. Tank_Girl

Tank_Girl Well-Known Member

Found a on-line supplier of Kei Apple seeds.

Kei apple is a native of South Africa and it's planted around homesteads and cattle pens as a living fence because it has thorns over 2 inches long.
    It's drought and salt tolerant and can withstand frosts.
    There are male and female plants so you need both and when grown from seed
    will fruit within 2 to 4 years.
    The fruit tastes like a loquat but better. Almost as good as an apricot.

I live in a very bad area and for some reason the two legged vermin think that scaling a 6 foot fence and flat footing over my veggie garden and then getting over another fence is their idea of a short cut.
    I was thinking of planting native raspberry BUT it suckers badly and I wouldn't be able to stop it spreading under the fence to the next door's yard.

Kei apple seems to be a win win.

7. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

My wife uses the pumpkin to make sugar free pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving and a sugar free whipped pumpkin mousse. She also has a pumpkin soup recipe that we yet to try.

8. musketjim

Went to our big Outdoor/Gun show today, about the closest we get to a prepper expo. Bought a second surgical set and a small First Aid module to add to my kit. Picked small cauliflower head out of greenhouse and dumped dirt from containers inside while it's still a little warm. Container soil will be tilled in next year and will only use containers in green house next year. What happened to the emojis we could add to posts can't find them.

AmishHeart likes this.
  9. musketjim

Never mind about emojis, figured it out.:D

sewingcreations15 likes this.
  10. sewingcreations15

Hello everyone :) .

Yesterday I did some more newly acquired cat preps and purchased 2 years worth of worming tablets for her from Ebay saving $9.26 over what the vet wanted to charge us at their clinic.

Caribou and Tank_Girl like this.
  11. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

I have 5 years of Drontal for 5 cats in our cat preps. I haven't had to use anything like it since we moved up to the mountain in 2013. I got it dirt cheap so I'm not to worried about worming the cats yearly.

Caribou and sewingcreations15 like this.
  12. gabbyj310

gabbyj310 Not so new

My daughter does doggie foster and she gives me flea tick and worm medicin for my dogs,as they send her twice what she need,(she tells them she has plenty but they still send it so me being me I take all of her extra to have plenty when needed.

Caribou and sewingcreations15 like this.
  13. gabbyj310

gabbyj310 Not so new

Does anyone besides me just get so tied up in knots when you have sooo much you want to do and can't????I'm not real handy and because of my age have to be a little more careful than when I was younger,still have to work.Anyway I see 10 million thing that needs to be done just to get organized and to start..then I hit THAT wall.I have seeds,water purifier,solar generator,medical supplies and other things but gheeze I feel so very unprepared and I so want to just throw up my hands.As noted before I hope to sell my place and move to TN and I will not take a house without a basement so I can store my goods and at least start trying to get organized,It called 20/20 hindsight,or live and learn.A very very costly lesson.But once that gets done ...move over I will pull up my big girl panties and start again!!!!!!

14. sewingcreations15

gabbyj310 I am glad to hear you have so many pet preps in stock :) .

I think it is natural to feel overwhelmed sometimes but what I do is take a deep breath and work out a plan and work to it step by step. This method I find for me the best way not to get stressed and as we get older this becomes more important because we can't do things as fast as we used to. I love the saying "work smart not hard" as you can get far more accomplished I have found with planning first and sticking to your plan.

DH & I just work out our preps we need to get on a list on the side of the fridge and as the money becomes available we buy them.

15. SheepdogPRS

SheepdogPRS Newbie

Just do 1 thing at a time. Each day something simple and quick. I have sweet potatoes to can and the last of the tomatoes. We till have sweet potatoes and tomatoes from last year. We will no doubt have a three year supply by this time next year. I've been doing this for so many years that it is all just a part of the daily routine.

I do need to clean up my shop, between my brother and my son we have four projects going at once and it is a mess. I'll get it tidied up and then make sure they pick up after themselves after they work.

16. musketjim

Picked up a case of bottled water yesterday while grocery shopping. May not seem like a big thing but it was the wifes' idea since it was on sale. Completely shocked me,:eek: couldn't talk her into a second case, but little steps.:D Read in paper today where a local fella bought out our towns supply of Life Straw Filters to take to Puerto Rico since he was flying there. A great humanitarian,:cool: but it pointed out how easily one person can purchase all of a certain prep under normal circumstances in our town. I already have a few so it's not a problem for me, but that situation is why I prep. If it was our own natural disaster it could be a different vibe.

17. Tank_Girl

Tank_Girl Well-Known Member

Cheese has gone up $0.60 cents for a 1 kg block and butter has risen $0.30 cents on a 500grm stick of butter in the last week.

Things are going to get worse so I'm doing a audit of my freezer, making room and stocking up on more cheese and butter.

18. AmishHeart

AmishHeart Well-Known Member

Went through canned food expirations here at the farm. Went to the Aldi's in town and stocked up more. Brought mom to do her shopping, too. Their prices are always good, wish we had one in New Mexico.

19. sewingcreations15

Hello everyone and today we purchased 15kg of Valencia oranges and are slowly juicing them for the freezer. We purchased them for $3.99 per 3kg bag and they are usually around $7.69 a 3kg bag here. Also while there we purchased 6 bottles of sarsparilla on 54% off special for 0.90c each to put in the cupboards. We don't often drink soft drinks but on hot gardening days or long trips away we take a bottle with us.

Got all of our dried Massey peas counted and packed in our seed container in the kitchen too.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  20. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Why do you not use lbs. measurement???

Sentry18 likes this.