Prepared Society Forum banner
21 - 40 of 7416 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
I'm thinking of buying some kind of solar charging system for 12 volt batteries. I have 2 400 watt inverters, and I got to us one the last hurricance we experienced. a 400 watt inverter using a good car battery will run a small box fan for about 8 hours. This minimal system can be used to charge cell phones, or run radios.

I already have a good reference library. Always working on food storage. Buying precious metals as able. Already have a good gun safe. Made a good hidey hole for other valuables. Buying more guns and ammo.

One thing that I haven't done, and absolutely need to do, is make a master check list of needed items. Perhaps a bug out list of needed items. if bugging in, what are the neede items. No one can remember everything, so several good checklists would do everyone well.\

Lastly, for good or bad, I have stopped trying to waste my time convincing other family members, or friends of what I think is coming. They just give me the blank stare, and roll their eyes. I just keep to the idea, that if I'm wrong, no problem, I've lost nothing. But if I'm right, guess who'll be the first people knocking on my door. I will always help my family, but friends are probably out of luck. I don't try to convince them but one time. That's all they get. I'm tired of thinking about the problems ahead, but it's not going to get any easier. Good luck guys.

· I'm done - gone
1,603 Posts
well, since I can't post what weapons accessories I ordered today ( phoey LOL), I'll just post that I ordered some floating row covers. one for frost protection and another for pest protection.
oh and I'm dehydrating some more banana slices today.

· Registered
7,626 Posts
I keep forgetting about this thread.

Picked up 2 peach trees yesterday. Hope to get them in the ground this weekend.
Canned 4 pints of pork BBQ to add to the larder.

· Registered
60 Posts
During the winter months I put a lot of thought into my prparation goals and objectives. This has mean a very busy month for March. I've added more apple and peach trees , blueberries and more grapevines with trellaces. I've also been building more fence to help secure more of my little farm.

Next week I will be adding the last section of cross fencing and then I plan to tackle building new a chicken coup/run and adding more rabbit hutches.

Just ordered a couple of solar lighting and battery charging kits and am putting together an order for a small scale solar electric/backup system to power some apppliances in my home

Yesterday I contacted a local nursing home about their empty food buckets so I can add to my long term food supplies. Recently some of my family moved back into the area and I know they simply cannot afford to be prepared and well, clueless so what do you do? Fortunately there are a few of my family members that are beginning to see the light and are asking questions due to the direction things seem to be heading so that will mean a bit more help for me. It also opens up a couple more alternative BOL's

Recently I had my RV remodeled and serviced. Something occured to me that I had not even considered in my preping. I had not included any type of repair supplie for the rubber foor nor to fix any type of window leaks or damage, plumbing etc so that is now on my list of items to get ready. So those of you iwth motorhomes and travel trailers may want to consider that.

It seems the more prepared I am the more I find I have yet to do.

· Registered
828 Posts
greaseman;23497 One thing that I haven't done said:
greaseman.. google gander mountian week long camping check list. It is a pretty good "idea" list. Also as to convincing friends. I agree somewhat. I try to use recent events as a reason to prep. Last winters ice storms helped convince several of them. When power was off for over a week here due to downed power lines and such. We ( wife and I) had power due to 3 gennys, heat due to 2 big kerosene heaters, water due to a well, plenty to eat due to our home stores. Most of them ended up either suffering in the cold or in an overcrowded shelter.
Now over half of them at least have 1 genny and at least a small kerosene heater.
Some ARE learning even if slowly. So there is hope for them. As for the others....... WELL I prep for family along with mine. Friends.....??

· Registered
166 Posts
preps

I am finding that when it comes to preps, that most often, one idea leads to another. And it's always the case of something more that I need to do. i do find that keeping touch with discussion boards like this continues to give me good ideas.

I do get the gut feeling that we are reaching the critical mass time, when we will soon have to impliment some of the ideas that we have been working on for so long. I am finding that this feeling of imminent danger is an extremely common idea, and many people have the same feeling. My thoughts on that are, that that many people can't be wrong.

I have stopped trying to warn family members long ago. They will become concerned when they get hit in the head by economic events. I know that I will eventually have to take care of them, and I'm preping for that. That's probably a common thread in the area of preps.

So, as the days go by, I just keep plugging away with preps, buying long term food stuffs, precious metals purchases. getting a garden going, and any other thing I can think of. goodluck all.

· Registered
7,626 Posts
Picked up a few more things at auction yesterday. Another scythe, a box of canning jars, and another fire extinguisher. :)

· Registered
576 Posts
Just about done with putting up the privacy trellis/fence on the southside which sheilds us from our wicked witch to the south. Working on prepping the garden beds again for the season.

· Registered
828 Posts
bought and planted 1 cherry tree.
Genevieve....... Good luck with the cherry tree.......... about 4 years ago I bought a "dwarf cherry tree" for my yard th add to the apple trees (2) and the blueberry,strawberry,blackberry bushes/plants I have. For the first 3 years I didn't have any fruit due to late frosts. Until last year. My "cherry" tree had a great crop of the prettiest............................pears you've ever seen.:gaah:

· Premium Member
7,777 Posts
Genevieve....... Good luck with the cherry tree.......... about 4 years ago I bought a "dwarf cherry tree" for my yard th add to the apple trees (2) and the blueberry,strawberry,blackberry bushes/plants I have. For the first 3 years I didn't have any fruit due to late frosts. Until last year. My "cherry" tree had a great crop of the prettiest............................pears you've ever seen.:gaah:
Pears! Oh my ... I hope the two cherry trees I just planted has cherries because I have two pear trees. :eek:

· Registered
17 Posts
My prep is going slowly due limited income but coming along been gathering items for couple years now. We have a tent that will sleep My family, have 2 hand saws,2 axes,several blankets small no gas bbq.at all time have 2wk supply of canned goods plus several water cans to hold about 100l of water combined.
as for food shelter and security ave been the main focus other prep as fallen by the wayside such as communication, entertainment, power source. but we do have decks of cards lots paper and a few board games so a good portion of entertainment the children is taken of.

as you can guess from previous paragraph all prep has been done for a bug out.due to the fact the neighborhood i live in is predominatley low-income.

this year will continue with current prep that is continuly on going for food stores but am lookin at increaseing amount food to last 1-2 months and acquire
comms in the form radio and alternate electricity. and retro fit my truck to more efective as a bov.
any all suggestions greatly appreciated.

· Registered
7,626 Posts
Finally got the peach trees in the ground today. :rolleyes: Planted another round of beets and peas. :)

· Registered
2,109 Posts
My prep is going slowly due limited income but coming along been gathering items for couple years now. We have a tent that will sleep My family, have 2 hand saws,2 axes,several blankets small no gas bbq.at all time have 2wk supply of canned goods plus several water cans to hold about 100l of water combined.
as for food shelter and security ave been the main focus other prep as fallen by the wayside such as communication, entertainment, power source. but we do have decks of cards lots paper and a few board games so a good portion of entertainment the children is taken of.

as you can guess from previous paragraph all prep has been done for a bug out.due to the fact the neighborhood i live in is predominatley low-income.

this year will continue with current prep that is continuly on going for food stores but am lookin at increaseing amount food to last 1-2 months and acquire
comms in the form radio and alternate electricity. and retro fit my truck to more efective as a bov.
any all suggestions greatly appreciated.
Doomsayer, shop at garage sales and auctions many wonderful things are there cheap. Also look on Ebay. Sounds like your are focused and doing a good job so far. Also get coupons from the Sunday paper an shop wisely at grocery stores. Just a couple of thoughts, Sail

· I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
2,439 Posts
We started cleaning out some of Dads stuff.

I now have a CB that I will install in my vehicle and 4 hand held CB's. Yes, they are all kind of ancient, but all still work perfectly!

· YourAdministrator, eh?
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Your communications just got a boost .... good to hear.

BTW: Do you know what the standard CB-channels are for your area?

· I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
2,439 Posts
The usual going on Interstate 95 is ch 19 and ch 9 for emergencies/police.

· YourAdministrator, eh?
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The two primary channels for off-roaders (the guys like me with big tires and a winch on the front) are 4 and 16. If you happen to slide off a road, stuck, but not damaged you can try those two channels to see if someone is nearby with a winch that can help you out.

· Registered
7,626 Posts
The two primary channels for off-roaders (the guys like me with big tires and a winch on the front) are 4 and 16
I never knew that. Thank you. :)

· Registered
828 Posts
We started cleaning out some of Dads stuff.

I now have a CB that I will install in my vehicle and 4 hand held CB's. Yes, they are all kind of ancient, but all still work perfectly!
Been into electronics since I was a kid. First Army MOS was comm's before going SF. In my opinion The older CB's were and still are the best. Less to go wrong with them, Easier to add more power/wattage, less EMP proof among other things. I grab ever old radio I can. If not for my own use but also for trade/barter in the future.

21 - 40 of 7416 Posts