Preparations update

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by NaeKid, Feb 6, 2010.

1. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

Hmmm..... A guy I know had a bunch of stuff left over from the previous owner of his home. He gave the guy two whole years to come back and get it! I gave him some beer money for: 1] two old 100lb propane tanks (way out of date, but not rusted) 2] and old Presto pressure canner with a leather seal? 3] an old late 80's Murray 36" pull behind tiller with a 5 HP Briggs motor.

Atwood's farm and ranch has Kerr Quart Mason for $7.99 a dozen... need to go get a few!

2. smaj100

smaj100 Jack of Alot, Master of Few........

MsSage, we found a footprint on one of our doors several months ago. The door jamb split but held fast, im sure all 5 of our big dogs trying to eat their way through the door helped prevent any further attempts.

But as we were looking for reinforced door jambs to replace that one, we found some "door armour" at lowes. Its a steel sleeve type deal that slips over the door jambs, hinges and around the door deadbolts. We got the kits from lowes and i had all three doors reinforcex in about 2 hours. Worth every penny in my mind and much stronger than just a standard wooden door and jamb.

3. Rainy13

Rainy13 Well-Known Member

Today I picked up several med's for the upcoming cold and flu season... I had coupons so it was nice to save the money on them....
    I usually keep a lot of stuff like that on hand, but Hubby has been sick with something and used a couple bottles of the nquil, and all my Buckley's cough syrup... so I had the pharmacy order me several bottles of that today also...

4. SouthCentralUS

SouthCentralUS Well-Known Member

My garden is a bust so I guess I will try to start over with something. In the meantime today I picked up 46 pounds of rump roast to can tomorrow.

I ordered my dehydrator on the 9th and have not even got an email saying it was shipped. Very disappointing.

5. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

The car is back in the shop. The brand new clutch has to be replaced again due to poor installation and hard driving down the mountain (K!). It is under warrenty so the shop has to foot the bill 100%. Also having them fix an oil leak in the pan. This is from driving the car up the rocky driveway. The car will now be parked at the bottom of the drive and a wagon will be used to haul supplies up to save the new pan from being ripped open. For now I have my dad's car which has A/C. :Happy Dance: I can run errands in the heat!

Made a short run to Target and Costco this evening. Picked up some tea and educational activities workbooks at Target. The tea is a berry blend for sun tea. Yummy. They are having a sale right now on Johnson's first aid supplies. On top of that buy 3 and get a free first aid bag! Got 3 rolls of waterproof tape and the free bag! Made up a kit for K to keep in his lunch box since he sliced open his finger at work on a metal stud...

Got some meat at Costco along with some otc meds and first aid supplies. Not much but needed items.

My folks stopped by to drop off the car and gave me a case of canned dog food and a full box of dog treats! Their aging hunting dogs have a yeast allergy and are now on a special diet. Saves me from having to buy more canned food for long term storage.

Harvested a basket of strawberries. My newest plants are starting to blossom now! They just started bouncing back after shipping so I am rather surprised! I didn't think they'd produce til next year. :D

6. Foreverautumn

Foreverautumn Well-Known Member

Earlier today, I made another $150 payment on my student loan, putting myself another month closer to kicking Sallie Mae out of my apartment! I'm still on track to finally have it paid off in December!

7. ContinualHarvest

ContinualHarvest Member

Harvested some jalapeño and habanero peppers today. Got them washed, sliced and in the dehydrator.
    This has been a rough year for gardening with the crazy weather. Finally have bunches of tomatoes, green but growing nicely. Tomorrow will be drying herbs.
    Also did some more geocaching today. It really helps with using the maps, gpsrs and compass.
    Prep the home, prep the mind, increase chances of survival.

8. Outpost

Outpost North East hillbilly

I suppose this sort of falls into the category of "preparations"...

Good LORD! ...this thing almost killed 3 full-grown men and pickup truck getting it to my place....

[​IMG]

600 pounds of peace-of-mind though!!!!!

Finally.....

9. helicopter5472

helicopter5472 Well-Known Member

I guess your going to say you feel SAFE now...:laugh:

10. Outpost

Outpost North East hillbilly

What I feel is a fricken' hernia!

:D

11. biobacon

biobacon Track Layer

Wonderful weekend. Went swimming at my friends parents house. Just so happens that their house is a farm. Got to learn a ton of hands on knowledge about chicken raising, his mom took me through her garden, which is bigger then my whole backward AND gave me some potatoes. Learned some ne stuff about mulching and using fences. His dad told me when they get next years cows I can help out and learn about cattle raising. I got 18 ears of corn to dehydrate as well from the farmers market/store. I went skeet shooting for the first time tonight, I did not do so well, but Im pretty sure Ive figured out why. Looking forward to going back. More skills.

12. musketjim

musketjim Well-Known Member

Spent weekend at BOL. Thankful for great friends who helped out since I fell behind up there. Started cutting a trail to make it easier for wife's new machine to get in in winter. Worked on garden, split wood. There's a lot to be said for swinging an axe. Mainly, why don't I get the splitter out and use that?:nuts: Had a very enjoyable weekend.:partydance:

13. LincTex

A buddy of mine just bought one, a shade over 500 lbs. We had to think like Egyptian pyramid builders to get it into the house and where his wife was going to be OK with it.

14. LincTex

Yeah, for about an hour or so... After that I add modern conveniences!

15. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

Picked about 6 quarts of nectarines. Some are still a shade pale so they are all sitting in the window to ripen.

Will be prepping for jam soon.

16. semperscott

semperscott Well-Known Member

At the local Wal-mart I picked up ten cans (12 lbs. 6 oz.) of Bush's White Hominey for a $1.00 a can! I LOVE hominey. It is good by itself as a side dish or can be added to soups and stews to add body as hominey is very filling. Still trying to decide if I should leave it all in the cans or break them down into canning jars for size appropriate servings.

17. LincTex

Yes, you should!!

18. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I picked up a $45 Presto Saturday and already have apples, onions/peppers for meat loaf, and zucchini vacuum packed in mason jars.
    I may not get much mileage out of this bugger, but I am not paying $280 for the nice ones.
    Dry on the covered porch/save heating your house, and easy clean up on the trays...so far.:partydance:

With a sealer and a dehydrator, I am actually beginning to feel like a prepper!!;)

Did I really say that with all the supplies I've stored in the last years??:rolleyes:

19. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

What I feel is a fricken' hernia!

A buddy of mine just bought one, a shade over 500 lbs.

Wow!! LARGE HERNIA!!:coffee:

20. Freyadog

Freyadog Member

Our prep today when Thumper gets in from work is:

Getting The freak'n tractor out of the mud. Its almost up to the axles.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013