Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,191 Posts
recent additions

For power outages, we recently bought a GoBe Power Hub Battery & Solar Briefcase (we use electric/propane for now, but have solar and windup gadgets). Figure it'll work for our long camping trips as well. Also used our grocery/shopping budget this month to stock up on heirloom seeds (got a bulk buy, lots of variety) and onion bulbs (also a bulk buy). We have so many friends and family who garden/farm, that we can put all of these to use. The seed packets were about 1/2 off retail price, and the onion bulbs were an even greater bargain.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Ran across some emergency dental cavity filling/cap replacement kits, so stocked up on those and topped off other dental supplies (favorite toothpaste and toothbrush brands, floss, mouthwash). I know how to substitute some minty baking soda in a pinch, but goshdarn it, figured our faves on sale, so stock up. :D Also working on adding to our 'drinking water supply' with boxed yoohoos (chocolate :woohoo:), can juices, tea bags, favorite soft drinks and 'koolaid' flavors. Adding these as we find them on sale/clearance.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Put some finishing touches on a family vacation plan. For me, it's all about balance and enjoying the present while planning for the what ifs. And yes, I have alternate plans for alternate plans while traveling. :)

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Grimm said:
R&R feels great.
Yep, we took a family vacation this month. One of those 'leave your worries behind' types of trips. Feel a lot more refreshed and focused.

Made a trip to town today. Stocked up on some nonperishables for the work locker.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Been working on emergency funds, so I've been extremely frugal with buying preps lately... until this weekend. Extra flashlights and lanterns, new fire extinguishers and smoke detectors, multiple tarps and tie downs, weather radios for family members, plywood, gifts to store up for the little ones. And decided to buy a new tent today for the bug out camping gear stuffs-needed a bigger tent since my youngest came along. It was hard to part with that much little green paper with numbers on it, but worth it.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Local store had stretch gloves on clearance for 25 cents a pair. Got enough to stash in the vehicles and add to our rubbermaid box 'gift box'. Going to an herbal medicine conference next month, so making travel plans and reading up on the workshops to decide which to attend. Making a journal for plant drawings, questions to ask, and other notes.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Grimm said:
I also got some fleece jackets for Roo in the next 3 sizes. Still shopping around for snow bibs for her but then I have a few months...
Land's End, sign up for their emailed codes and check their clearance (boy and girl sections).

· Registered
1,191 Posts
I have spent the last few days walking the woods with medicine women and shamans identifying and eating leaves and flowers, using the same plants to dye wool, make tinctures, salves, vinegars, and oils. I purposefully went offline and immersed myself in the process and now I am rejuvenated and feel great about getting my preps focused on the hands on, diy ways to improve our nutrition and herbal medicine cabinet (which has a few new additions now). Networked and made lifelong friends and found a wonderful herbal mentor in the process. Great week! Now to incorporate what I am learning as an herbalist into daily improvements in my lifestyle and my approach to prepping.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Quarter of beef in the freezer, soup bones and oxtail packed up separate for some bone broth when I have a weekend off. Herbal medicine tinctures in the cabinet, some new tincture bottles and herbal salve supplies on order, along with a few dried herbs and such I don't wild harvest or have growing. Garden growing nicely. Planning a couple of farmer market runs or trips to u-pick local places for the kids.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Great reminder, CH. And yay! for cast iron on markdown. :)

My house and both kids smell like thyme. :) It's been drying in small, tied bunches. Not sure what we are going to do with all of it, but thinking thyme honey (for cooking or colds/congestion), fresh-frozen thyme and olive oil in the ice trays for cooking, and a thyme-witch hazel face toner (good for acne) for starters, and store the rest for later projects and recipes.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
AdmiralD7S said:
Got engaged today. Took her up to Lake Erie for a couple days of winery-hopping, and proposed at one of the secluded covered bridges. That counts as prepping, right? :p
Congrats! :)

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Getting half hog from the butcher this week. Found some good clearance deals for gifts and basics for the family. Local Walmart had kid's tees on clearance that had little gadget toys attached, mostly am/fm radios and kid's walkie talkies. Bottling herbal tinctures and starting a few more. Not sure if I've mentioned my latest project here on the forum, but I've started 'hope chests' for my kids. Right now I'm using rubbermaid boxes, but my plan is for them to each make their own cedar chest during homeschool woodworking classes. It's been a fun project to work on with the oldest. Gathering useful tools, kitchen, bath and other items, pdf files, and handcrafting things specifically for them to take into their own households someday.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Grimm said:
My folks send packages weekly with toys, clothes and candy for her. We are only 80 miles away... :rolleyes:

But I can still spoil her a bit. She is my only little one. :p I got her 3 new books and a Disney Princess soft lunch box from the clearance shelf.
When my oldest was little she knew if she was good in the store she'd get to pick a toy from the quarter machines at the store entrance. Now that we are a little better off, the clearance aisles are where both kids get to pick something, a toy or something for their hope chests. Last time we went, the oldest picked out matching towel and bath mat sets. Youngest still has his eyes on any toy with wheels. :)

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Well, found a good deal on a prepackaged BOB for 4 and it just arrived. It's the first preassembled package I've ever bought, so it is kinda like Christmas. Gonna unpack and use it as GHB for one of the vehicles, adding a few items. Move that vehicle GHB near an exit for an extra BOB. Time change is coming up, so it's my time to rethink and update the bags and gear anyway.
Can't remember who keeps posting about the aquapods/waterbobs for the bathtub, but added one to our bug in supplies. A big thank you for that suggestion, whoever you are!

· Registered
1,191 Posts
SouthCentralUS said:
I ordered online from the Dollar Tree, 2 cases of the 8" candles and they came in today. I went to pick them up and looked around the store a bit. I found one cup insulated "snack cups" with screw on lids and a folding plastic spoon in the lid. I bought some for stocking stuffers and will put inside them some packets of instant oatmeal and small instant soups. Hopefully, the kids will keep them in their backpacks. I plan to keep one in my car. Got oodles of glowsticks and wetwipes there. Grill lighters and 2 pack cigarette lighters for $1 each.
Thanks for the reminder of where to find some good prep stocking stuffers for extended family. Sounds like you had a good shopping trip.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks. I have been online 'window shopping' clearances today to decide where to spend prep budget, you've just helped me decide where to stop next trip into town. :)

FYI, Emergency Essentials and REI both have some good sales right now if anyone is looking for foodstuffs or camping gear. Noticed some great deals on backpacks at REI outlet.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Jason said:
They are Ball's 100th anniversary jars, as I said they're blue, and we bought every last one they had.
Nice! I think those are beautiful jars.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
The last few weeks of conversations at work have been interesting. At least four (maybe five) of my coworkers are prepping to some extent. Nice to know, as they are all relatively good people. I tend to stick to the natural disaster/job loss theme when the subject comes up, and am keeping the extent of my preps under wraps, kinda like I do here. ;)

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Got my teenager a reliable, safe car. Decluttering the home and working in the garden. So ready for spring! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts