Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The decision of Egyptains gov to shut down the ineternet made me think on the other side of the coin. If SHTF, how can we benefit from this forum or any other prep forum DURING a catastrophe.

We all agree the time to learn survival skills is BEFORE anything happens. But suppose we are learning and we are doing what we can and suddenly something bad happens. Lets simplify the scenario and not involve politics and shutting down the net. The gov is either trying to do something (too little too late as usual) or totally disintegrated.

So, in such a situation when blame game has setteled and society is trying to do something thru volunteerism or perhpas everyone on their own. How can such a forum help, given that members are spread so far from each other (organizing real groups on the ground may only apply to few members in some regions).

I will start

First thing I can think of is upload some books like ( where there is no doctor ) or other useful books.

Second, maybe help relay some info from this forum thru Facebook - if it remains open - to help direct more aid to the affected areas.

You definitely have better ideas
Let's hear them.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I have several 3 ring binders that I have been compiling for a couple years. They contain information on a wide variety of subjects including food production and preservation, hide tanning, making cloths and shoes from animal hides, constructing an ice house, first aid and lots of other old world skills. These will become my "forum" if I can't get to this one or others like it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Whenever I find something I think I might be able to use in the future, especially PDF's, I download them. Every few weeks I back them up onto a memory stick so I can take them with me anywhere and I figure I can put them on my netbook to read on the go, even my I phone.

·
Retired Army
320 Posts
I tried (on this forum) to start a Postal MAG. An idea to exhange seeds, parts, ideas, etc for free thru the mail. I received just one interested reply, it bombed:eek:, so yes, I went back to self and doubled my efforts to build up a hard copy library supplemented with ebooks.

I am also doing more to practice new skills and learn more off paper. (like the skill a month post elsewhere here on the forum).

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
I print hard copies of everything I find useful, including some of these posts. :)

·
178 Posts
I too, print out hard copies of useful things members have mentioned as well as useful websites. I have a recipes for making homemade laundry soap, baking powder, ginger ale, dried pumpkin, vanilla extract, and vinegar. I even have directions on how to build a pole shelter, and make four strand braided rugs.

The Internet is so invaluable for prepping. I'd really miss the the internet if it was down. DH isn't much of a communicator, he likes his tv, so I spend a lot of time on the Internet; learning as much about prepping as I can before 'the lights go out.'

·
Registered
837 Posts
smart people are preparing everything including the know how to do it now, when you're up to your A$$ in alligators, it's to late to drain the swamp.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Uncle Joe I'm with you I have all of my "important stuff" in several 3 ring binders. Labled and indexed. One for building projects, one for animals, one for garden, one for herbs & their uses, one for housekeeping in a nonelectric world, etc. When the balloon goes up I won't have to worry about not having my information handy. Who is to say our government won't shut down the internet if things get ugly and their tail is on the line. I'm sure they will have a way to keep their secured lines open but the rest of us will be dead in the water. Does that sound like I don't trust them?????? Just food for thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts