Predictions for 2011

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Asatrur, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

This was on another board and I found some of the responses interesting, so I thought I would start a thread over here.

What are folks ideas and predictions on what 2011 will bring?

Higher energy prices due to lack of supply.
    More folks shirking the rules about food growing, livestock raising, etc. in order to feed themselves.
    I see families and friends banding together through the hard times.
    I unfortunately see more religious and political disagreements occurring with a very strong potential for extreme violence against certain viewpoints.

Yours?

2. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

I agree with what you said plus
    All the severe Weather is going to get worse World wide.
    I have others but Im going to keep them to my self for now.

3. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

More of the same.

We're past due for a game changer major news event and that's just a vague assumption that things happen periodically.

Here are some easy to predict ones for 2011

1. the Haitians won't get their sh*t together in 2011 and they will demand more assistance.
    2. we'll still have Katrina 'victims' on the government dole.
    3. unmerited claims of racism or sexual harassment will take place.
    4. Darfur killings continue in 2011.

What I'm surprised is we've not developed some sort of organized austerity movement.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  4. Asatrur

Do you mean us, the govt. or the people?

5. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

The tougher it gets out there, the more clever and inventive you have to be... - dumb like a fox ;)

I love challenges, and I'm sure the next few years will be filled with them.

An old professor I once had said his first rule was "Mind your own business!", and I took that to heart...

Do what you can to change the world for good, but don't let them "out there" drag you down with 'em!
    - and - importantly, don't always talk to your next door neighbor about everything you do or plan.

- Basey

6. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

[This is a minor, long shot, distant prediction on social development.]

Austerity movement. I meant among some people as an identifiable movement sort of like some of the self denial cults in the distant past that spread through Europe during bad times.

Many people lack religion but feel a need to belong, to be a part of things. Combine that with economic uncertainty, there's room for movements. If one combines the notion of ecology and wanting to reduce individual consumption and impact, combined with economic concerns, one potential outcome would be a more visible, perhaps organized movement where people wish to show that they're cutting back, using limited resources, etc. Perhaps a group that sees austerity as a virtue, taking pride in the extremes, including wearing out clothing (or distressing to show their poser commitment), walking from place to place and making a show of it, dumpster diving for cameras, etc. We're better than you because we consume less.

A charismatic leader could get on camera, claim leadership of those who wish to show they're not 'part of the problem', etc., Some folks are ripe and with many lacking solid religious foundation now, a movement can easily take off. People are looking.

7. Asatrur

Understood.

There is also the flip-side where you have a group that believes they can pillage their own world, because in the end their leaders tell them that in the end it does not matter, since a God will take them away to a better place and only the unfaithful will be left to suffer.

Not sure which is better.

8. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

That's the flip side...there are others who either think Global Warming is a crock or else believe in it and want the end, so they'll be burning carbon like it's mad, leaving lights on and snickering about it, and tossing cans in the trash instead of recycling. I'm surprised that movement hasn't gotten a leader or been identified.

9. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

I predict the GOP will NOT take the election's lessons to heart and will continue kowtowing to the Kenyan and his Chicago Mafia Goons.
    Many big cities will follow Detroit's lead and abandon the inner cities - these will become even worse Gangsta Ghettos than they are now.
    The muslims will continue to wreck havoc in our cities, demanding (and getting!) special privileges for their 'religion',and ultimately installing some degree of Sharia Law.
    The countdown to a big blowup and backlash among the people will continue - at some point "We The People" will HAVE to figh tback against the invasions of their own land - but maybe not THIS year. Not enough people really hungry and victimized yet.
    We will see four-dollar-a-gallon gasoline soon.
    Food prices keep climbing in 2011, as the FedGov cracks down on home gardens and farmer's markets. "For our safety" of course...... :rolleyes:

10. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I predict a windfall year for Mountain House.

11. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

2011 or 2012... not sure which. Not that I'm really going out on a limb here.... Either Korea(s) or Middle East (Iran/Israel). Enough different scenarios are possible, all of them bad.

By the end of 2011, either noticeable economic recovery or heading for (if not alreday in) the 2nd dip of the recession. I'm leaning towards the latter rather than the former.

12. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

:D

Agree with SurviveNthrive - more of the same.
    Only MORE of the same in more "victims" more government "dependents" more engineered "crisis" more government ineffective/inefficient control and of course, more politics as usual.
    It is interesting with all the "aid" Haiti and Katrina victims still haven't gotten it together. Particularly considering Haitians really had nothing to start witl.

13. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

More house fires, unfortunately. As heating oil/gas prices go up, people try to get old woodburners going in deficient chimneys, or tie in new woodburners to old chimneys that are way below par. I've seen several instances of this in my own rural community in the past few years-we've responded to several chimney fires and one guy lost the whole rear half of his house.

Also, people don't know things about wood-for instance, pine makes lots of creosote when it burns and is a time bomb in your chimney.