Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone ever do trial or practice runs to test their preparations? Are you finding yourself prepared or not?

·
Registered
983 Posts
We haven't yet, but have talked about it. I think this will help us see what we are lacking in preps. Not sure we would realize in a weekend what we hadn't thought of but maybe a week would put things more in prospective.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Yeah, we took off in our BOV for a few months, with several buckets of food storage and other supplies. We parked out in the desert and lived out of what we packed. It became boring and uninspiring to eat casseroles and stews made with food storage. Everything had to be cooked from scratch and it seemed like I spent a lot of time either on meal planning, meal preparation, baking (breads, etc.), since it was all done from scratch. However I did find that I did a good job packing a variety of cooking and dessert-type spices. I became obssessed with the idea of fresh food, and I planted leaf lettuce in a bucket, which grew well and was not only refreshing but a relief to eat.

It became monotonous living out of a duffel bag (clothes) and having limited options. Wringing out laundry by hand becomes tedious after a couple months. I missed having internet at my beck and call. The bow saw we took for cutting firewood was dull. We should have checked that and all our tools to see that they were in fine shape.

However, we always had something to eat, and we were warm and dry. And I found that I still liked my husband even after going days without seeing anyone else except him! :D

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Yea ... Every time Mother Nature/ or others takes out the power and such. ;) We have had Practice runs that were over in a day and others that went on for three weeks.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Yea ... Every time Mother Nature/ or others takes out the power and such. ;) We have had Practice runs that were over in a day and others that went on for three weeks.
Outstanding point, andi! :2thumb:

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
GypsySue great info! I have food that we can cook from scratch but having more #10 cans of food that I can just pop open and heat up sure would be nice to have more of to lessen the work load once in a while. My kids love the #10 cans of Ravioli and Baked beans (we add hot dogs). I want to get some #10 cans of Chili and Sausage Gravy. They are good heat and serve meals that my family would all eat. Plus we would eat an entire #10 can in one sitting so no waste or refrigerating.

·
803 Posts
Yep. Katrina. They worked.

Jimmy

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Does anyone ever do trial or practice runs to test their preparations? Are you finding yourself prepared or not?
Only practice with power outage has been actual short term power losses (less than 48 hours), and a 48 hour water outage. It sure made the family wake up! I am wanting to do a solid "three-day-long-we-ain't-got-nothin'-workin' " trial run.
I have practiced quite a few 6-8hr segments at a time to see what we can make work and what won't work.

You can sure learn a lot, even if it's just a short period like that. It is always nice to know what you can and can't do beforehand.

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
We've sheltered in place with no electric for a week (thanks to hurricane). We made some adjustments but all in all things went well.

We did a trial run on our bug out plan, it took us 15 minutes. Would really like to see it closer to 10 but I didn't figure that was a horrible time considering we have 2 teen girls, 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 lizard & a 5th wheel to hook up. I did make a check off list for each person which should speed things up considerably.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
I have done several w/out an actual disaster. On a Friday after leaving work I make a decision to not stop for the usual Friday groceries and just go home. No electric, no water from the tap, just a home until I have to get up for Monday work. I do not turn everything off, I leave the frig and alarm clock running, just do not use them. They have been very informative as far as what I was lacking. For example the first time I did it I realized that I had water but no easy way to deliver it for washing. I rigged up a 5 gallon pail with bulkhead fitting and hose and a hook in a ceiling rafter to cure that. I also found out that although my supplies are on metal shelving they were not in the best order for access. I rearranged everything with commonly used items in front and lesser used items in harder to reach places. Labeling my boxes better and redistributing some of the contents made for less time searching for something. In spite of having several can openers it seemed I was always looking for one. I followed up by purchasing a bunch of them and there is now one in every case of #10’s and in every box of food storage supplies.

It was comforting the first time knowing that I could have electric lights or flush the toilet if I really needed to. I am much more confident now that I’m good to go when something really does happen. I highly recommend that folks try this some weekend or when you have a few days to do a dry run. You will want to give yourself at least a few daily cycles in a row for this as just a day or a few hours will not give you the full sense of what life will be like. You will be surprised that in spite of all your preparations all the little things that you missed. Better to find them out now while you can go to a store and get something than when there are no stores or no access to get those little things!

·
Sr. Homesteader
437 Posts
Heh...

Every day here at the 'stead is a practice run... has been from the beginning!

We live like we intend to survive - self sufficiency 95% +/-

If we have to bug out, we have another "bunker" a day's hike inland that we can drive the (ex-ambulance)BOV to, with a Jeep on the towbar behind it. We practice that once a year on ARRL ham radio field-day, this year way up on the blueberry fields of central Maine.

3 day campout in the ambulance, on-board diesel generator for the radios and big crank-up antenna talking to peeps all over America and the world...

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
When our kids were little and we lived in town we had "Amish night" once a week. No lights or anything electrical. I don't remember why we started doing that, but I remember it's one of the first times I really thought about what it would be like if I could never again flip that light switch and have lights come on.

Funny thing is that a year later we moved to Montana and lived off-grid. After being there for a year we went to visit where we used to live and the kids were amazed with the flush toilet, and for years they still called turning off a light "blowing it out". That, of course, was because we used oil lamps for our only lighting for 3 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts