Potty Training my new Pup, Help!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by sailaway, Dec 22, 2010.

1. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I have added a new member to my security force, a 6 week old black lab.:cool: He has a bad habit of pooping and peeing in the house,:eek: how do I REMEDY THIS SITUATION:dunno:It has been a long time since I've had a pup this young and would rather get input here than buy a book.:confused:

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

ouch, I think maybe you got him too young... at that age they have teeny tiny bladders/bowels

do you cage/crate train? if you do, just remember that the crate is NOT a punishment...

he will look to the crate as 'home' & when you lock him up for the night he will be loathe to pee/poop in it as he will then have sleep with it until morning

buy earplugs & be prepared for whining as he is very young and the new environment is shocking, but Labs adapt well to change

too bad you don't have an older dog, because they lead by example & since dogs are naturally pack animals they tend to 'follow the leader'... so... you could try what I did with a 'piss factory' ;) I had (not so much fun in the winter tho)

1. assert that YOU are in charge

2. pee in the yard where you want him to (if you have neighbors, do it at night, OR get a chamber pot/urinal & then dump it on the spot(s)

3. when he comes back from peeing/pooping properly reward him with a small treat

dogs are as varied as people so your mileage may vary, good luck :wave:

3. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Congrats on your new pup.

Rub his nose in it. It's tried and true and has worked for years.

4. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

1. Be patient, they do outgrow it. (when they grow a bigger bladder...)

2. Reward them with love and treats when they do make it to the training pad /newspaper, or whatever you're using to designate the place to piddle.

3. Constrain the puppy to a room or an area with a nonporous floor (ie kitchen, laundry room, etc.)

4. Get some of that enzyme-based deodorizer to use on carpets or other porous surfaces that do get hit with the urine stream. It breaks down the urine before bacteria has a chance to grow and start to smell. It comes in gallons. I recommend gallons.

5. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Vinegar also works to remove the smell from pee spots . a wind up clock sometimes helps with the loneliness whimpers.

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

oooh, that is good... :2thumb: I used the 'heartbeat' sound from my white noise generator

7. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

Once he is mostly trained and he has an accident in the house.:gaah:
    I have always placed the food bowl beside where the accident was. Wipe it up but do not dissenfect unless on carpet!
    Dogs are smart and won't eat where the Crap it may take a few times but they soon get the hang of it.
    biggest thing I found do not change food gives my dog the RUNS and that ain't fun to clean up.:dunno:
    I have a Louisiana Catahoula leopard dog ( rescue dog that came all the way to the great white north from new orleans)
    Next dog I get I want a Rhodesian Ridgeback ....
    Good Luck and Merry Christmas :beercheer:
    RR

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  8. sailaway

Thanks for all the great ideas, I will be implimenting them.:)

9. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

Good luck!

The pet stores also have big boxes of pee pads. Most folks confine their puppy in a big box, playpen, or utility room with pee pads covering the floor. We were very fortunate that my wife was home when our dog was a puppy. She was able to take him out regularly around our apartment complex where lots of other dogs peed and left their scents. He got used to the routine of going outside very quickly. We never rubbed our dogs nose in his mess. We always kept an eye on him and rushed him outside anytime he went on the pads or had an accident. As a puppy, he took to going outside like a champ and only had one or two accidents in the house. We always praise him when he does his business outside.

Dogs can understand up to 400 words. If you use words like "Outside" and "Potty" regularly, they'll pick up on it and start to understand. If he has to go, he generally acts like a jack-arse, woofs, and howls at us and gets excited about the key words. Alternatively, if we use words like "Hungry" or "Cookie," he'll lick his lips and often rush to the kitchen.

If you have questions, your local Petsmart may have an "ask the trainer" night. The "Dog Whisperer" is an excellent show on cable for dog owners. When our dog was just a little older (6 months?), we took him to a training class with a trainer that worked with our veterinarian. It was a great investment of about 6to 8 Saturday mornings and really helped us handle our dog and set expectations for him. :D

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Still waiting for pics of the pup. ;);)

11. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

.. and words like "Leash" or "Car-Ride" .... I had a MalteseTerrier that would go nuts when she heard the word "leash" and would run to where it would hang and try to pull it off the wall. My Bichon****zhu knew so many words and "new ones" that I figured that little guy was as smart as me (maybe smarter). I would come home and he would freak-out (excited) and I would just need to point to the top of the stairs and he would wait for me there (bouncing off the top of his little toes) till I gave him his scratches ...

12. sailaway

Well Uncle Joe you asked for them, here's my future chief of security and part time bird flusher.:2thumb:

Attached Files:

13. UncleJoe

Looks like he had a looooong day. Better give him some extra rations. :D

14. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Sailaway, I'd be very careful around that dog. He looks like a fierce one. :D

Haven't talked to you for a while. Hope all is well.

15. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Looks like he's sighting down that barrel pretty good. He'll be a fine security chief soon.

16. sailaway

My wrists, ankles and face are shredded,OUCH!:cry:. All is pretty well, looking for this to be a better year than last year.

17. Moose33

Moose33 Well-Known Member

Sailaway,
    I've always had good success with careful monitoring of food and water intake. Make sure you get the little guy outside or to the desiginated place within fifteen minutes or so of offering food and water. While I'm a firm believer in having at least water available 24/7 you may have to work up to that. Try to offer food and water at the same times every day too.

He's very young but will learn quickly. Labs are pretty bright. Does he lean on you yet? I've never known a lab that didn't lean against its human.
    I know it will work out for you, he's a beautiful little guy.
    Moose

18. sailaway

Thanks Moose, yes he does lean on me, I also trip over him when we walk, he throws a tempertantrum when he can't be on my lap. I have him on caffiteria style feeding with Iams and water.

19. Moose33

Moose33 Well-Known Member

Hi sailaway,
    Can you define/explain cafeteria style feeding? Its not a term I'm familiar with. I lived with a three pound Yorkie for 14 years and all she ever had was Iams. Some said she wasn't much of a dog. At three pounds she was tiny but had a heart bigger than a lot of people I know. She wasn't much for protection but she was one heck of a watch dog. I now serve an evil, but beautiful cat that also gets Iams.

When your little guy grows into those feet that whole leaning thing might be an issue. :D

Take it easy,
    Moose

20. UncleJoe

We feed our 7 dogs Orijen

It is more expensive to buy but the recommended portions are much smaller because it's made with animal proteins as opposed to grain which dogs don't digest as efficiently. We use about 10lbs a week for all 7 dogs. When we fed Iams, ( No offence intended to anyone :eek: ) we used about 20lbs a week. So for us, it's actually been cheaper to feed the more expensive food.

BTW there is only one place within 30 miles of us that carry it.