Potatoes as supplemental feed?

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by Deb75476, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Deb75476

Deb75476 Guest

Here in Idaho, there's a surplus of field potatoes. I was wondering if I could feed these as a supplement for my goats, chickens and turkeys. I've heard that to feed them to pigs they need to be boiled - is it the same for goats and poultry, or is it not a good thing to feed them regardless?

2. westbrook

westbrook Well-Known Member

chickens and turkeys.. raw if you can get them to eat them. at my house they prefer left over hash browns or cottage fries! mine won't eat them raw.

can't answer for goats because my goats are on a diet of alfalfa and grains when milking.

I have a dog that likes raw potatoes.. right after she skins them! silliest thing you ever saw!

3. dunappy

dunappy Well-Known Member

I feed my poultry all the raw potato scraps ( ie peelings etc) and then snarf it right up. I don't know about the goats though.

4. Farmer John

Farmer John Guest

I have several old (almost 100 years old) poultry books that speak of using potatoes as supplemental feed, but never more than 1/3 of the total diet. Never feed the skins (although I haven't had a bird die from it yet) and lightly boiled to ease in feeding and digestion.

5. modestmoose

modestmoose Guest

What are cottage fries?

6. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

Last year North Fremont High in Ashton, Id hosted the wrestling tourney. We had about 200 left over spud (baked) from the spud bar. My chickens loved them.

7. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Hey they eat their own crap, so a baked spud yep i'd go for it. My grand parent's use to feed all left overs to the chickens, they done very well, lot'sa egg's and they eat a lot of tater's. We still do. The small left over at the end of use yep boil or bake and they will like them fine.

8. SnakeDoc

Heck, today I fed mine some out of date bologna. They loved it.

9. SnakeDoc

Currently the dairies around here are feeding spuds since the price went into the toilet.