Potatoe Cakes

Discussion in 'Recipe Share' started by *Andi, Nov 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Ingredients
    2 cups mashed potatoes
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    salt to taste
    1 pinch garlic salt

Mix and fry in butter/oil ... till brown.

Some folks like to add to the cakes ...
    onions or 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Cool way to use up leftover mashed potatoes! Sounds yummy!

:D

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

It is yummy ... It came up yesterday when my daughter ask what she was going to do with all the leftover mashed potatoes . :D (Guess what we had for supper ... ;))

4. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

We sometimes add leftover corn to the mashed potatoes when we make this.

You can always make pierogies with your leftover mashed potatoes.

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

pierogies ... :dunno: I had to :google: ... Sounds great!

Pierogi or vareniki are half circular dumplings of unleavened dough, stuffed (singularly or in various combinations) with mashed potatoes, cheese, cabbage, sauerkraut, meat, mushrooms, spinach, or other ingredients depending on the cook's personal preferences. Dessert versions of the dumpling can be stuffed with a fresh fruit filling, such as cherry, strawberry, saskatoon berry, raspberry, blueberry, peach, plum, or apple; stoned prunes are sometimes used.

Mashed potatoes mixed with farmer's cheese and fried onions is a popular filling in Poland. A popular filling for pierogi in Canada is mashed potatoes mixed with grated Cheddar cheese.

6. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

My mom used to make potato cakes for us for breakfast. DW never heard of them until I made some one morning. I use 2 eggs with about 2 cups of potatoes. They seem to hold together better.

7. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

we make them all the time but we shread the potatoes,mix them with some chopped onion, coat everything in a little beaten egg, them coat everthhing with a little flour and make potatoe burgers. use any seasonings you like. fry them in oil about half way up and have the oil warm enough so that the oil boils out and not soak in.

8. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

You are talkin' my native language!!!

Ya - I am Mennonite

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Always nice to know a different language. ;)

10. Idaholady

Idaholady Member

Sounds good; that's what I'm planning on doing with my left over mashed potatoes. I also add some chopped up green onions to mine; sometimes a little bit of seasoned breadcrumbs as well. However, I call them potato patties.

I'll fix them for dinner, or along with bacon and eggs at breakfast. Nothing better!