Possum Living

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by mdprepper, Jan 5, 2011.

1. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Possum Living How to live well without a job and with (almost) no money

I found a mention of this book while looking for something else. It is supposed to be about a girl and her dad that lived a very frugal lifestyle back in the 70's. I think it was something like $1500 per year.

I have just started to read it, so I do not have an opinion to share yet. But here is the link to read it on-line.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070630220508/http://www.f4.ca/text/possumliving.htm

Has anyone read it? Any opinions? Anything in it worth learning?

2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Downloaded it but haven't read it yet.

Thanks

3. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

I am like MMM ... it's on my "want to read list" (read: Amazon's wish list) ... thanks for the link. :p

4. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I just finished reading the book. The way she writes takes a little getting used to. It had a very conversational feel to me.

It is a bit odd-she goes from sounding very "hokey/folksy/backwoodsy" to very technical. Giving percentages, measurements, etc for making moonshine.

I do not think there was anything new for me to learn from the book. Most, if not all of the information, I had already learned from the Foxfire books (or from all of you:D).

A quick read, interesting in an odd sort of way:scratch. A "must read"...Nope!

Anyone interested can google Dolly Freed and see how she turned out. She went back to school and ended up working for NASA!

5. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Thanks a bunch. I already have all the Foxfire books ... I'll probably go ahead and give it a read since I am curious but there are several more in front of her ...