Pooling Resources?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by SurviveNthrive, Oct 20, 2010.

1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

How would you handle this common situation, post disaster?

Following a natural disaster, which your neighborhood weathered without significant damage, but with a loss of landlines, power, and water, you're assessing damage when you see a small group approach, moving with self appointed seriousness.

In the lead is Bob, a personable type, smiling, using his act of calm, caring amid the chaos. Others are following like toadies. Bob walks up and shakes your hand.

"Hello, I think we met at that picnic a few months back. I'm Bob Anders. This is Joe and Pete. We're checking on folks, seeing how everyone is doing."

You answer with a guarded "We're doing fine."

That's when Bob tells you, accurately, that those with radios have been informed it's regional devestation with an unlikelihood of essential services being re-established in the very near future, so it looks like everyone should pull together, work together to make it easier.

This sounds reasonable so far. You've concerns regarding security.

Then it comes...

"Joe here tells me that he's seen that you had a lot of food delivered and that you probably have enough to share. What we're thinking is everyone bring resources like stored food and water together to a central point so we can share it, distribute it, equally, OK, Buddy?"

If this isn't likely due to your unique circumstances, then you can avoid the dicussion, but for those of us with neighbors, how should we handle this situation?

I've been thinking through some possibilities. Normally no good deed goes unpunished. If you feed a dog, it won't leave. But there might be more to this...

A gut instinct might be to reach down and rest your hand on your holstered pistol and tell them to keep moving. HOWEVER, imagine if you've got a whole lot of inexpensive stuff just for such a circumstance, like oatmeal, pasta, all sorts of bulky stuff that looks substantial but is inexpensive, and you 'enthusiastically' hand it over, and then use that as leverage to get help from the others who didn't contribute as much?

Our past method was pretty good too...

I've taught my children when they were kids-post disaster, if anyone asks if we have anything, immediately ask if they have enough themselves to share. This might end the conversation...

"How are you guys fixed for food?"

"Glad you brought up, you got some to spare?"

This ends those conversations quick!

I do this with panhandlers.

"Hey man, you got seventy-five cents? That will get me on the bus."

"Nah, none to spare, you got a buck?"

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

it is unfortunate that, historically, compassion has often been rewarded with treachery...

I'm not sure if I have the strength of character to take the chance of being proven wrong

3. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

These guys are your neighbors and it would probably be to your benefit to work together especially in a draw out emergency. You might need them as much as they need you, but if they are still complete strangers I wouldn't tip my hand to them. At least not yet.
    How about something like: Oh, yeah last year I volunteered for the (church, old folks home, homeless shelter etc.) and I packed holiday dinners. Or Oh you mean the wheat, I worked at johnson's farm and it was for horses... Your answer must match what ever they saw you doing. I don't have tractor trailers dropping off pallets. If anyone saw me bring if a 50# bag I could brush it off as dog food, rock salt, etc.

4. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Good scenario.

My reply would really depend on what *I* heard on the radio or what info I had received about the duration of the situation. If it was only going to be for a week or month I would happily break off a portion of my supplies. This does not mean anyone is coming into my home, I will bring out what I have to share. I would need to inventory what *I* needed to happily get through the situation. Beans, rice, grains and such would be shared. I have many of what I consider gourmet supplies that I would hang onto. I’m not going to pass out a can of maple syrup granules to folks who would rather have Aunty J’s product anyway. After all I was the one who prepared!

If I did not know the duration estimate or it looked gloomy for at least a year is a different story. I would not admit that I had provisions stored. “Yes I did and I sure wish I still had them now!” “My buddy Bob got laid off and had no money for food so I let him have everything.” “I do have a bunch of seeds and would happily share them with the group. We can use my garden and I’ll help start more around the neighborhood.” “I’ll go gather what canned goods I can spare, where are we to bring them?” I would gather up what a normal pantry might have and bring that to share. No way would I be willing to bring EVERYTHING I had anywhere to be divided up and distributed by someone else. I don’t think many folks would agree to that either.

I would even offer use of my well. I have a generator, new in the box, and supplies to attach a plug to the end of the feed for the well pump. In this scenario I would need to work with the group and not want to be an outsider. Would I worry about someone finding out about my hidden stash? Sure I would but I would do what I need to, to survive. I would be willing to work with the group as much as possible, for security’s sake.

‘Normal’ folks do not have a year or more worth of anything stored, such as TP, Band-Aids, tobacco… so I figure the group would not even think to ask about them. Would I be greedy, self centered and inconsiderate about my preparation supplies? Sure would. I am also old, crotchety and opinionated too!

5. Getback

Getback Member

Thay just want more food. You see thay each just have 3 days, 1 week or 4 days of food. You have at lease 1 year, so thay will be eating YOUR food.

6. mickbear

mickbear Active Member

great post ,speaks for me completely

7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

If that was really happening - I would consider "sharing" only the oldest of my home-canned stocks and the oldest of my store-bought stocks (DollarStore) that have the least amount of financial-value.

My other thought would be to "sell" only what I consider extra ... someone wants a can-of-beans .. I want his Corvette .. equal trade in my mind .. :flower:

8. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

of course my neighbors are so far away that I could get semi trucks to deliver palletized preps to my house & no one would be the wiser :D

9. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

First off I have a crank radio and would probably know the same if not more information as "Bob" and since I live in a very, very, very small town/community I would know if "Bob" was a neighbor or not. But many of my neighbors all garden and hunt I doubt that we would be in that situation to begin with.
    If a stranger came up and claimed to have just "met" me at a bbq or luncheon than I would be sure to say--sorry I don't know you at all and what gives you any right to bother me and try to get more for yourself?
    Sometimes it pays to be in a small community for over 40 years. Sure everyone knows your business but then they also know if you will shoot on site or not!;)

10. s516m

s516m Member

One of my thoughts in a longer-term SHTF situation would be to split my stockpile keeping maybe 1-3 days easily accessible and the rest stashed in the attic or a more defensible position. If someone breaks in or forces through, they might get a small amount but would mostly find an empty pantry. My thought is they'd stop after finding something and wouldn't keep looking for more.

In this scenario, if the group turned unruly and physically tried to take what we have, they might get a few day's worth and that's it. If it got really bad, we could fall back and protect a smaller area that is more defensible.

Anyone else have a similar thought that you've actually turned into a plan you can share? Where will you move stuff? How will you make it more secure/defensible?

11. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

It's a good idea to spread your stored food around to different places. Different rooms, different buildings. Multiple caches, if you're making them. Then if you have to surrender your "stash" to save your life (or your family or your other supplies), you don't lose it all.

12. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

We are working on other stash sites. My plan right now is to have a few clothes 2 sizes too big for us to wear and the first question I would ask is if they have any food to spare. Don't know if it would work but it's worth a try.

13. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Clarice, that's a wonderful idea, to have some clothes 2 sizes too big! It would make us look like we've lost weight! Here I was thinking we'd have to cut rations to give ourselves that starved look! A bit of both might be a better plan! I guess I'll hit the thrift stores!

14. wildman800

wildman800 Well-Known Member

I have considered this possibility for a few years. Since there is safety in numbers and cooperation, I think the best starting point of organization is through the existing neighborhood watch.

The primary concern after a disaster is going to be security. The neighborhood watch can hold daily meetings get plans in motion to barricade access points to the neighborhood and to establish roving patrols, and a alarm system for residences to use if there is suspicious activivity sighted. The NW would also establish a comms watch to listen for further information being broadcast. Once that is arranged and working, recon patrols can start working outward to see if stores are opening and how the populace is behaving, the status of Law Enforcement and/or National Guard troops, distribution points for Relief Supplies.

The NW can help organize groups for store or Relief Supply runs so everyone can get their family's issue or make a store run for supplies. These would be organized for safety and security purposes and would be run by armed guards.

It will be very important to watch who is doing their share and who is shirking their agreed upon duties. Shirkers can be isolated within the neighborhood, if necessary.

Those have been my thoughts. Now I have to digest everyone else's ideas and try to come up with a few more answers. As usual, NOBODY has ALL the answers to EVERY situation!!!

15. whisperingwinds

whisperingwinds Member

I would be very worried about Bob and the others.
    The fact that they discussed your property in the first place, before coming to you.

If things were to be real bad, they would probably knock the door down. hmmmm
    Makes me wonder what other things they would want... you know for the leader of the pack.

16. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

The problems will be with the have's vs. the have not's. Neighborhood watches work because people have their needs met. Unless your neighbors are preppers and have food and supplies they're going to be expecting someone to feed them and take care of them. You may be the only person with preps but how long will they last feeding the neighborhood. If you're well fed and warm how long do you think hungry neighbors are going to wait before they decide that what's yours is theirs?

17. Elinor0987

Elinor0987 Supporting Member

I would be offended if someone came to me with that approach. My neighbors aren't entitled to anything I have, and I work harder than most of them to acquire what little that I do have. You have to realize that the entitlement mentality is one of the main reasons why everything is going downhill fast to begin with. I also agree with others that said if you share what you have with everyone else, you will run out of supplies a lot sooner.

However, if their approach is different and I have any extra seeds available (assuming that I have a home and a garden at the time), then I will give them to my neighbors. If they truly want to survive they will put forth the effort to grow their own food and not expect someone else to take care of them. They have to learn from their mistakes and lack of preparation or they will repeat them again and again as long as somebody is there to bail them out.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010