plussing/minussing system

Discussion in 'Website Comments and Suggestions' started by kogneto, Apr 2, 2010.

1. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

something similar to the "like" feature in facebook, but with the ability to dislike too, as a 1 rating per user per comment system

i was on a php board awhile back that had this feature and it definitely livened up the discussion (not that I think we need any but I'm all for adding gas to the fire :D). you couldn't see anyone else's +/- but after you posted you could see how many others had voted, and of those votes how many were in favor/disfavor. It was interesting because it actually made people stop and think about why so many people disapproved, that doesn't mean they changed their posting style, just added some context.

I'm not even sure if it's possible, but I think it would be a neat addition, I can do some googling on the coding too

2. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

We have something like that but not exactly. If you'll look at the top of this post there's a box called 'rate thread'. Please use it as you see fit!

3. Seneschal

Seneschal Crazy snake chick

Post ratings

I know we have the "rate thread" option, but in another forum I'm on, there's a little box by each post in a thread where you can rate each individual post. If you give it a positive rating, that means that the information contained in that post was found to be highly informative/helpful, and a lot of the times, looking at that helps people weed out information that may be questionable versus information that other people found relevant and helpful--and further, it also prompts people to answer questions and stuff, because everyone feels good about getting positive ratings for their posts!!

What's also nice is that in addition to 'rating' the posts, you can give them a "reputation point" and comment on the post while giving positive/negative "reputation points" to the author. The comment is always required if you give reputation, but what's cool is that you can only give reputation a certain number of times to one person before you have to spread it around to other people before being able to give it to that person again. Again, reputation points are used as a way of judging how trustworthy information is, and it can be a fun and positive way of building ties with the people in the forum.

If you want to look at what I mean, check out some of the threads on Main page - Helping herp hobbyists! forums.

Just a thought!
    Thanks,
    Sen

4. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

I have to wonder how ratings would affect those who might be just a little bit timid or unsure of their knowledge. Ratings can be intimidating, especially to those who don't like controversy. They can also become popularity contest in which people say what they believe others want to hear just to have pat on the back. (Especially in religious or political comments.)

I wonder how many people would not post out of fear? My personal preferences are for leaving things as they are.

5. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I agree with that!!

6. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

mosquitomountainman, maybe just for preparedness threads? think about it like the yahoo questions, where several people can comment, but the most appropriate or accurate responses get higher ratings?

i hate popularity contests and high school drama in general, just thinking out loud most of the time (though is it really out loud if I'm typing it?:confused: there I go again :sssh: )

7. mosquitomountainman

I still believe ratings may be intimidating to some no matter what the subject might be. There was a time not too long ago when winning a debate was the most important thing in my life. I could be ruthless, especially regarding religion and politics. I lost some friends due to some of those debates. I was "right" factually but wrong in what I did. I didn't resort to personal attacks or name calling but looking back winning a debate was a poor consolation when compared to losing friends. They were good people. They just had some different beliefs than I held. Winning debates isn't that important to me anymore and since that time I've tried to be more compassionate and considerate (although I obviously fail at that sometimes).

I'd rather not put any barricades up that might keep someone from posting. I personally see more negatives than positives with a rating system.

In the end it isn't up to me anyway. I'm not an administrator so the decision isn't mine to make. It's just my opinion.

8. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Well guys the only person I am in a contest with is myself!, I am not intimidated easily and not to worried about how others perceive what I do or accomplish. This is probably the hardest contest of all.
    Of course though, we all like recognition, good or even bad sometimes, that just human nature. I lose friends because of this to, but the real ones are still here regardless.
    No barricades here, just the ones you put up against yourself.

9. GreyWolf

GreyWolf Well-Known Member

While a rating system may raise awareness of information that others have deemed informative or beneficial, in a forum such as this pertaining to survival preparedness. Often times a wealth of information may be obtained by reading a post that may have been given a lower rating had such a system been used. Personally I have learned so much by going back and reading through the threads, even from those IIwould not have expected to. Some of this information would have been missed completely had I based my reading upon some rating.

In addition I a rating system, especially a reputation rating, has the potential of becoming a tool by those defined by wikipedia as "Internet Trolls" in their attempts to take away from or hinder a topic, thread or post as well as their attempt to provoke an emotional response by members to take the posts off topic. This is especially true with topics related to political or religious matters. This has led many online discussion forums to post statements "Do Not Feed The Trolls" as they know such responses only serve to encourage the behavior.

This forum has been a place new members are greeted with a warm welcome and made to feel comfortable. They are encouraged to participate, ask their questions from those with experience and knowledge. I for one am grateful for those things and the patience I've seen exhibited by those who have helped so many on here. While I am quite comfortable with myself and know I neither have to impress anyone else nor be intimidated by anyone else, there are those unforetunately may not be. They may also besomewhat hesitant and asking something or posting something that maybe significant to themselves or others. I would hate to miss the opportunity to learn something that I may need later in a serious SHTF situation may not have posted because they were afraid it would be unpopular or they would be heavily cricized over.

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Well said GreyWolf. :beercheer:

11. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Very well said. I have gone to see a lot of movies that the "critics" couldn't stand, and I thought they were great. It's all a matter of personal taste. There are a lot of threads on this site, and I have not found a thread yet that didn't contain information useful to me, since I am a whole lot less experienced than most on this site.

12. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I concur with Grey Wolf.

13. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Harley, there is no need to compare yourself with others - you have knowledge and experiences that many here have never had. If I remember correctly, you have a few years on me which makes you a valuable knowledge base to me.

With that being said, there are many movies that I loved so much that I have watched them many (MANY) times that I heard from others later on that they hated 'em so much that they burned their copies in protest. And flip that coin, I have also hated movies that others love.

14. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Agreed. :2thumb:

There's no contest going on here. There IS information, knowledge and experience that is shared among all of us.
    Some you have fallout shelters; I don't. Probably never will. I don't feel inferior because it.
    I grow and preserve lots of food. Not everyone can. Do I feel superior? Of course not!
    We all prepare in ways that we're comfortable with. IMHO a rating system for posts would detract from the general camaraderie of the site. :)

15. mosquitomountainman

:2thumb: Exactly!