Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about how to treat ailments (basic pain, and others) after the "fall".

Wikipedia had the following:

Medicinal plants of the American West - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following plants are routinely used by American Indians, and have come to be recognized as safe by virtue of historical and continued use without deleterious effects to health.[citation needed]

* Black sage, (Salvia mellifera), can be used against pain. A strong sun tea of the leaves and stems of the plant can be rubbed on the painful area or used to soak one's feet. The plant contains diterpenoids, such as aethiopinone and ursolic acid, that are pain relievers.[2]

* California bay (Umbellularia californica) leaves are used to treat pain.[3]

* California poppy (Eschscholzia californica) can be chewed to treat toothache, and to decrease milk production in nursing mothers anti-galactogogue.[4]

* California sagebrush, (Artemisia californica), can bring back pleasant memories. The smell of the leaves and stems is pleasant and relaxing. The plant has many fragrant monoterpenoids that are soothing to smell.[citation needed]

* Douglas' sagewort, (Artemisia douglasiana), is used to induce dreaming, as well as an antibacterial and douche. Leaves and stems under a pillow at night can help sleep as well as induce dreams. Anti-microbial action comes from: camphor (29%), artemisia ketone (26%), artemisia alcohol (13%), α-thujone (10%), 1,8-cineole (8%), and hexanal (5%). The plant contains many fragrant monoterpenoids that may help with dreaming.[5][6][7][8]

* Ephedra spp. is used as a diuretic, as a treatment for urinary tract infections, for asthma, and as stimulant due to the presence of ephedrine and other compounds.[6] The sale of dietary supplements containing ephedra has been banned in the United States due to the risk of serious adverse events or death.[9]

* Horsetail or Scouring Rush (Equisetum spp.) is used as a diuretic because of it contains high concentrations of oxalic acid and calcium oxalate and therefore can also be a throat irritant if brewed improperly.[10]

* Matilija poppy, (Romneya coulteri) is applied topically to treat sunburn.[11]

* White sage, (Salvia apiana) can be grown in a garden and used every day to purify the spirit. One leaf is placed in a water bottle, and used normally. Sucking on a leaf can soothe sore throats since the leaves contain camphor and other therapeutic compounds

* Willow Salix spp. used to treat headache and as an antipyretic due to the content of salicylic acid.[12]

* Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) is used for various ailments including cramps, fevers, and toothache.[13]

* Yerba Buena (Satureja douglasii & Clinopodium douglasii (by region) is used as a refreshing tisane to treat dehydration.[11]

* Yerba mansa (Amenopsis Californica) is used as an antimicrobial, to treat venereal disease in part due to concentrations of: 4-allylveratrole, esdragol, thymolmethylether, linalool, and para-cymene, 1,8-cineol, d-limonene, camphene, alpha pinene and beta-pinene.[6]

* Yerba Santa, (Eriodictyon californicum) and other Eriodictyon species, was used in American and British hospitals and clinics for respiratory infections, influenza, tuberculosis and asthma until 1960. In that year, a law was passed requiring that all medicines had to have proven efficacy. Yerba santa is used by crushing 3 leaves in a cup of hot water and slowly drinking the tea.[citation needed]

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a small library that will go with me if we have to leave.
My favorite healing book is Prescription for Nutritional Healing. It has several types of remedies for each ailment. Make sure you get the latest version.
New Choices in Natural Healing, Everybody's Guide to Homeopathic Medicines, Macmillan Treasury of Herbs (a picture guide book), and Back To Eden by Jethro Kloss.
There is an herb walk in our town put on by the local natural store that I plan to go on in next couple weeks. I have studied all these plants for years and bought the tinctures, tonics and dired versions, but never actually searched for them in the wild. They have just found a large ginseng patch that I hope we will see.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts