Pittsburgh rein in urban agriculture

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by *Andi, Mar 2, 2010.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Your thoughts ...

Pittsburgh officials may rein in urban agriculture

Just as urban beekeeping, community gardening and raising poultry gains traction across the country, Pittsburgh leaders are considering limiting such agricultural practices.

That means Jena Thompson would have to remove the beehives and chicken coop she keeps at her North Side duplex.

"What the city is proposing would make everything I do illegal," said Thompson, who lives in the Mexican War Streets. She keeps three beehives on her roof and a chicken coop and 20 fruit trees in her yard.

More here - Pittsburgh officials may rein in urban agriculture - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

That is the exact same issue that TwoLilFishies is going through right now here in Calgary with her chickens in her backyard. The city is doing their best to squash urban-farm animals, but, still mostly allowing uban-gardening (even encouraging gardening).

3. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should raise a more local bird such as pigeon.:D

4. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

A while back there was a movement to till up lawns and grow food, and here comes the city trying to pass stupid regs, like you must have a 5 ft grass area around the garden area..? why? just because that's what people in government do, they need to do it, why have power if you don't use it?

I'd much rather see water and labor going to feed people then just keeping a non food growing area green..I see nothing wrong with having a few chickens around, so don't keep a rooster, a few hens clucking sure as hell don't bother anybody, or shouldn't..

I feel for all the people who come to this and like minded sites who are pinned inside large city's , I know your there mostly because that's where the jobs are but ...

Here in TX we live just inside the city limits, but have about 40 or so hens and a bunch of roosters,some of whom are heading to the stew pot !!:2thumb:... not to mention goats and a horse... 3 turkeys and 2 ducks, nice to live here...:2thumb:

Seems to me I remember reading a SHTF story where the people in a apartment building got together and boarded up the lower floor windows and thru hard work and using the roof top for wind and solar power bees, gardens etc..set up a MAG and did very well.. maybe Mr. Young wrote it...maybe I dreamed it ( gotta lay off that chit :2thumb:)

I'd just do what I wanted and let folks assume you have the right, better to ask forgiveness then.... etc etc...

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I guess a few things tick me about this ....

Anytime you see something growing and expanding and there are no rules, you need to regulate it," - If it is working and no problems, why do they have to regulate it?

$300 fee to have a chicken coop in a backyard - fee ??? A new word for a new tax.:mad:

6. AlterCow

AlterCow The Silver Cow

Very true about the regulations/taxation Andi. If there is one thing we can learn form 20th-21st century history is the government makes it difficult to near impossible to be self sufficient. The Federal Gov wants us to be "consumers".

On the bright side of it, one can do a lot in a small amount of space to generate their own foods and medicinals. Many just do not know what they are capable of with limited resources. In Lawrence, KS there is quite the urban chicken movement going on. I have many friends that raise and breed different types of foul on their urban lots and it is quite lucrative. If the majority of people farmed in a bit of their property they would be a lot less reliant on imported goods, and their neighbors would benefit from it, too.

No wait... we cannot have people doing well by themselves with basic argicultural knowledge and implementation... time to regulate and constrict their well being...

7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I guess the best thing to do is go on about your business and not let others know what your up to. The gubbamint will always try to figure out how to get a cut of what ever they know your doing. I tried to get a charter sailing business going and they wanted theirs before my boat was even in the water for the season.

8. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Tonight was a meeting of CLUCK - the group that TwoLilFishies is part of. A very informative video (movie) about urban chickens was shown to all. The one thing that really struck me is that a small hutch with a few chickens provides healthier eggs than what the massive "egg-farms" produce. Less of the bad cholesterol and more of the good stuff which is something that I never knew.

I used to get farm-fresh eggs from my friend before she shut-down her farm - I need to find a new supplier again!

9. MotherEarth

MotherEarth Member

Whatever happened in the Pittsburgh area?
    If an ordinance did go through, usually there is a "grandfathered" clause to continue to allow what has been done in the past, so am not sure if the OPs info about Jena Thompson needing to get rid of her beehive and hens would really be the case.
    Anyone know?

10. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Once all the stores are empty they want you in the bread line like every one else. After all you cannot show your independence or self reliance. That would make the dear leader's minions look bad. :p

11. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I have been trying to get the ball rolling in the "big city" (22 miles away) for areas that are essentially urban blights & get people to turn them into neighborhood CSAPs (Community Sponsored Agriculture Project). I thought with Michelle Obongo's new War Against Food "Deserts" at least some people would be interested... no such luck, from either council members OR residents.

:dunno: :cry: :surrender:

12. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

I don't agree with cities doing this, but at the same time can you blame them? I mean in urban societies farm animals, bees, and other such animals are seen as pests. We have similar animal control laws here, you can own chickens and ducks, but too many dogs and you'll get fined.

13. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I just did a quick search of the Tribune-Review but couldn't find any updates. :dunno:

14. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Well i will garNtee dogie don't taste as good as duckie or chickie. :D

15. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Depends on how you prepare it. :ignore: :peep:

16. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Don't forget to get your copy of 'How to WOK your dog' or '100 ways to WOK your dog' in print now, or online at any PITA website.
    Here is a sample recipe... Szechuan Chihuahua :D

17. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

hahaha i'm getting this for my significant other, she LOVES small dogs :p

18. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I haven't seen any updates to this story either, but then I don't read the paper every day. I'm not real familliar with the North Side, but it's basically an area/neighborhood in the city proper of Pittsburgh, right across the Allegheny River from downtown. It's a nice area, but it's urban-tightly packed, small if any yards, etc. I see no problem with a few chickens or whatever. It's not like there are cows on the subway. The quote about needing to regulate any unchecked growth is what really scared me. Is it really necessary for the government, in this case on a local level, to futz with an attempt at increasing the healthiness of peoples' food, and thus, directly, their lives in general? Someone said "no thank you, I'll do it myself" to the big chain stores and it needs to be regulated?!? Come on, people...