Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ace Hardware this weekend has pint jars for $5.50, Sept. 2-5.

No mention of quart jars.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
What qty. is that?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry---but I've been buying from different stores for a year when on sale and never saw any quantities other than a case--of 12---and they are BALL, not generic.

I caught Kmart one day with pints @ $4.50 and quarts @ $4.99...I was a happy camper.:2thumb:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotta find me an Ace Hardware store this weekend. :)

Thanks, JayJay!
You are welcome, my sister---glad the sale is there...and I would have already been loading my SUV if not for Kmart sale
Sight to see, me with broken toes inside truck instructing by cell to dh what to get and how many--what a peach.:congrat:...(sometimes..:ignore:)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
one ace store would not honor ad.:gaah: drove 20 miles to the other. they were out:cry: but told me that they would order them for me if I paid first. I did, they did, and the jars will be in Tuesday. :2thumb: she did wonder wonder why I wanted so many, said most people were only getting two cases. totle trip for the jars was 60 miles one way :eek:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one ace store would not honor ad.:gaah: drove 20 miles to the other. they were out:cry: but told me that they would order them for me if I paid first. I did, they did, and the jars will be in Tuesday. :2thumb: she did wonder wonder why I wanted so many, said most people were only getting two cases. totle trip for the jars was 60 miles one way :eek:
I'm glad you got the jars discount and you think like me...I won't drive 25/30 miles to Aldi's or Sam's or SaveALot unless I'm buying enough(translate that saving enough) to reimburse me the gas money spent.
I do miss Ace Hardware---they have the things you can't find anywhere and forget to check there first.
Nearest is 25 miles from me. I wish they had quarts on sale..I racked up on pints at Kmart in June.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
OMGOODNESS! Please tell me you all clipped the coupon in the Sunday paper last weekend for "buy two cases of ball jars and get one box of flats free"!!!?
And I think a Thread just for bargains of the week would be great! Sure you will not find the same bargains in every state but for folks that live close to you it may help.

I may have to get into the holiday savings and head up to the local ACE(only 10 miles away) with my coupons and get about 4 cases.. Plus some strike anywhere matches and a bottle of lye(soap making supplies).. And I have two of the ball coupons.. get some wide mouth lids for free.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how could we start a sticky about good deals at various semi national stores so that we all can help each other save.
I think that is a super idea---I look through EVERY circular coming to this house--but many working preppers don't have time.

I don't get the Sunday paper--but that sounds like a great deal..3 for the price of 2??? And the two are on sale?? Kewl..sooooo... is that $11 for 3 dozen??
Ouch...Ball is wanting to get rid of them-there jars, huh!!

And anyone with no Ace, I bet Big Lots still has quarts for 7.50.:2thumb:

Uh--oh---are flats, the lids?? Oh, well, still a great deal.

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts
I just got my 2 for $11 deal at Ace today too. They were out but happily ordered some for me. Next thing I came here to post and see many have already beat me to it!

I'll second the request for a sticky "Deal of the week" or some similar thread where regional or national stuff can be posted and easily found.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Its to get an idea about how many people are prepping.
I have had problems finding large lids lately.I don't need any jars ,never can more food that we have jars anyway.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I don't need any jars ,never can more food that we have jars anyway.
I've never had all mine filled at once either but jars get broke. Some may be given to friends and relatives as gifts and never return. And if/when things turn really bad, they would be worth their weight in gold as a barter item.
I have about 1200 here at the house. I got most of them at auctions for about a nickel a piece. I keep about 15 dozen at the "hunting camp." They may never be used but if I need them, they will be there.

IMHO you can never have too many jars. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't need any jars ,never can more food that we have jars anyway.
I don't think you can ever have too many cans. Thanks everyone for letting me know. I have been looking at prices all summer and this is the best price yet. I'll be there first thing in the morning!:2thumb:

LilRedHen

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've never had all mine filled at once either but jars get broke. Some may be given to friends and relatives as gifts and never return. And if/when things turn really bad, they would be worth their weight in gold as a barter item.
I have about 1200 here at the house. I got most of them at auctions for about a nickel a piece. I keep about 15 dozen at the "hunting camp." They may never be used but if I need them, they will be there.

IMHO you can never have too many jars. :)
And those extra can always be used for other things..I have a few filled with popcorn on my shelfs. For those who can't afford water drums(or get to Lexington, KY) someone suggested filling jars with water instead of just sitting on the shelf...Great idea..water will be gold WTSHTF..I think.

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
Besides canning, I use mason jars for storing dehydrated foods, too (using a vacuum sealer). Plus you can also get the plastic screw-on lids for canning jars - with those I use them for storing goldfish crackers and pretzels (etc.) in the pantry, and also for storing left-overs in the fridge, or for bringing over food to my mom and dad. Oh, and they're also our drinking glasses. And I got these pump lids from Lehman's that screw onto the jars so they can be used as liquid soap dispensers...

I love mason jars. :)

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
All of our Ace Hardware Stores within 50 miles we sold out on the first day of the sale. Everyone of them have also issued all of their raincheck quotas for this sale.

Each of the stores have stated that people have walked in and bought every case they had on hand. Not sure if it was the same person or several people.

We are watching others stores to see when they clearance their available stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts