Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Hi, I'm relatively new... just sittin here canning some pickled beets and browsing the threads for today (my beets have been cooked and are cooling before I peel them)

I prefer to be called self sufficient rather than survivalist. No one knows how long they can survive (since our Maker is the only One who does know) but my family has always been out of the loop with most of civilization and are independent individuals who make our own path. We prefer home grown and love the out doors.

Altho its hot as a firecracker in my area today , I run no AC except the breeze that (sometimes) flows from back door thru to the front. My electric bill averages $35 a month. Someone in AR posted a while back that they'd have a hard time doing without AC when SHTF, well just turn it off now! Get used to it! (We do construction work ouside so getting used to it full time helps when ya gotta be in the sun in 105 degrees and workin!) Just drink lotsa water! Set up a cool pool (horse tank?) to jump into before going to bed.

Our garden is already pretty well burned up from the heat, but so far we've harvested lettuce and radishes early in spring, then peas & turnips, lately our potatos, squash, and onions are in and were getting some tomatoes and pole beans. Waiting on some charentais melon and watermelon to get ripe. Oh, and the beets, I'll be right back...

We tilled up the beds today where (previously noted) veggies are harvested and will plant dry beans, pumpkins, winter squash and start fall crops of carrots, beets and onions, later some more lettuce and spinach. I'm gonna try growing thru the winter with a plastic cover over some crops this year.

Our chickens are feeling the heat and we get only a few eggs each day, but one hen set and hatched 14 chicks, so new hens for next year and I 'magine a few young roosters to eat.

Life is good in hillbilly heaven!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome to the forum :wave:

Looks like ya got it goin' on :cool:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...its just great to read up on everyones experiences and live & learn. Its nice to have a forum that "speaks the truth" without dodging reality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts