Pickle Recipes

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by AndrewFromSoCal, Jul 23, 2011.

1. AndrewFromSoCal

AndrewFromSoCal New Member

I poked around a bit on here, but i'll admit, not too hard. I was wondering if anyone had any tried and true recipes for pickling spices? Found a few recipes online, but I was wondering if anyone had any that they had already tried. Thanks!

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

What kind of Pickle Recipes you looking for? Dill or Bread and Butter ... What do you have in mind?

3. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

As with anything you cook the recipes are always changing until you find that perfect flavor, and is this perfect, or do I need something different? I have been a cook my entire life, and like a seasoned musician I never play the same song the same way twice. I have tried several of these Canning Recipes :D

4. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

I'm looking for some good pickle recipes too. I like a nice flavorful, vinegary dill pickle while my DW likes sweet ones and gherkins. I've tried in the past however they did not come out that good but I think that was more the recipes that I used more than anything else.

5. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

No pickles--- but these are delicious for those squash everyone has too many of each year:
    Pickled Squash
    Combine 9 cups of sliced squash, 2 chopped or sliced onions, and one chopped or sliced green pepper; add 1/3 cup salt and cover in water for 2 hours.
    Drain.
    Boil 2 1/2 cups a/c vinegar, 2 1/2 cups sugar, 1 tbsp turmeric, 1 tsp. celery seed, 2 tbsp. dry mustard or seed.
    Add squash to boiling mixture or pack jars and add mixture
    (whatever your procedural choice.... I pack jars and add mixture)

Heat lids, seal and hot water bath for 10 minutes.

This is delicious---you will probably not have enough canned when people start eating these...:rolleyes:

6. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

Is this for zucchini squash? Can you use other types of squash?

7. Davarm

Davarm Texan

Pickling Spice

Cracked Allspice
    Bay Leaf
    Cardamon
    Clove
    Corrander
    Ginger (optional)
    Mustard Seed
    Cinamon Stick

These spices are the main ingredients that are in the commercial pickling spice. I never thought to measure the individual amounts as I know about how much to add for our tastes.

The ingredients can be course ground, finely ground or left whole when added to the pickle jars. It can be used in sweet or sour pickles.

You can also add the spices to your vinegar and store on the shelf until you are ready to make the pickles or just use the spiced vinegar for what ever purpose you choose.