Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to personel defense weapons there is alot of debate as to what is better a handgun,hunting and civilian versions of assult rifles or shotguns but if your one of the very lucky few that have or can get smg's (sub-machine gun). I am not going to tell what is best but give my reasons why certain weapons will be better than others. It is still a personel choice as to what weapons you want. Based on your own research and experience with firarms.

I will start with handguns, when it come to handguns there are two types revolver and semi auto but a wide range of calibres from .22-.50 cal. . First I would suggest joining a gun club,to pratice with your firearms of choice, it will also give you a chance to test fire different handguns and rifles to find what would best suit u.

If you have or are going to use a revolver for personel protection,I would suggest larger calibers rather than small. The main draw back to a revolver is limited ammo capacity usually only 6 rounds in cylinder, which in return requires better acuracy to hit a target. But still If it is all you have pratice lots so you can hit 2foot square target at 50 paces with your weapon. And use a .45,.357,.44,.41 cal hollow points are best less chance of clean wound cause each of these rounds has the ability to stop most average and above averge males. Semi auto handguns ave a magazine that holds 7-15 rounds depending on caliber make model and laws. With semi auto handguns are good for sustained fire more rounds in the weapon means reload less often, plus faster reload time, but still requires accuracy to be realy effective. and pratice with the weapon.But if you need to put rounds down range to slow a groups advance way better than revolver.If you are looking for just rounds down range with some stopping power I would suggest a 9 or 10 mm and use what your local police use S&W(Smith&Wesson),Glock,Bereta.

the greatess draw back to using a handgun is teir limited range of effectiveness usally less than 30 yards, but in a urban setting can be quite effective.

Rifles can be used for hunting when you reach the bush or as a deterent weapon you still need to pratice firing your weapon to get used the recoil and beable to hit a 2foot square target at 100+ paces consitently but try for a 6inch grouping as this will serve for hunting. Bolt action rifles are good provided they have 5round capacity this shortens time between shots. But if you want someting a little more versatile. Full semi auto with 5rd capacity or better. Rifles such as M-1 Garand,AR-15,SKS, civiliabn versions but if you can the military version good with rifles stick to 5.56/.243 or 7.62mm/.308 but if want more punch shorter range .30-30 is a good weapon. but if want to reach 500+ yds then weapons .308, .300 winchester magnum or a .400 magnum.Before I get posts about .308 not reaching 500+ yes it will it has a max kill range of about 700 yds to man sized targets. Rifles still require decesnt accuracy depending on use.

Shotgun a.k.a Ally Howitzer, Shotguns have about a range of about 75yrds max. But probly the easiest to use and doesnt require great acurracy wheter as deterrent weapon or hunting (Fowl), hunting deer does require acuraccy.Auto loading or Pump shotguns would be best both can be fired rapidly. but if you know your weapon it can hold 5-7rds, 6in magazine tube plus 1 in chamber. The other advantage a shogun has over other weapons is that anyone can be taught use it with some degree of acuracy due the spread pattern. A young cild can create the illusion of being profient by being able to point in the direction of their target and firing from the hip. due the nature of the weapon, most people will re-evalute after it is fired. A 16,12,or 10 guage are probly your best choice for all around shotgun.The most common is the 12 Guage. Ammo keep a good supply of bird shot as this can effective for fowl or uman if necessary,buckshot is strictly for human or doors and not very good for hunting,slugs are good for deer hunting.

Some are going to ask about Bows and crossbows both are ineffective as deterent weapons due single shot only and reload time but for hunting quietly and let others know you are there would choice.Above for archery to be effective you have to be very accurate and shot to kill.

Now with what i have said about varing weapons learning to hit a 2foot square target with weapon at max range is not kill but hiting the torso of a human which if you protecting you and loved ones can be quite a deterrent to those trying to harm.But shotting to kill sould be priority.

My wepons of choice for dfense would a 12guage shotgun,.308 semi auto rifle, as for a hund gun i would try and have two but if could only one probably be a 9mm.
thx for reading please post any additional information i may have missed or didnt know.
ALWAYS USE FIREARMS RESPONSIBILITY

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I believe that the best personal defensive weapon is the mind first, second, the weapon that is closest to you. I will use anything as a weapon for my protection - a jacket, a knife, a stick, a chuck of steel, a rock - hands or feet.

As for projectile weapons, I prefer the silent option of a compound bow, a long bow or a cross-bow over a gun - easier to "store" in every room with the arrows (bolts) right beside. Here in Canada, we are not allowed to leave a gun "stored" with the bullets with it unless the two parts are kept under extreme secure conditions.

For home protection, I believe in the "mess-method" - make things so difficult to access through the "mess" that those wishing to aquire your hard-earned stuff will move onto easier pickings :sssh:

Ya - Wildmist doesn't agree with me on that one - but - so far its working well for me!

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
For home protection, I believe in the "mess-method" - make things so difficult to access through the "mess" that those wishing to aquire your hard-earned stuff will move onto easier pickings :sssh:

Ya - Wildmist doesn't agree with me on that one - but - so far its working well for me!
I knew there was a reason for all my junk piles, wait til I tell the Mrs., new excuse!!!:D:rolleyes::congrat:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes the mind first but as for me and where i live you need a stronger deterent than just a mess and obsticales. I have recurve bow so does the wife plus cheap knives for inprovised weapons if need be.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Have things really gone downhill since I last lived in SK? I always felt safe there when I was a kid and even my last visit didn't notice any problems anywhere I went.

What would be your general area?

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
My mind tells me that the best weapon for defending myself is what ever firearm I can get my hands on that the will stop the bad guys at the greatest distance away from me possible...before they get close. Rocks, fists, feet, sticks, knives, etc. are to be used only when I run out of bullets or can't get to a firearm.:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
My selection for home defense would be the mossberg 500. You can customize them to your needs. You can have a pistol grip, or a full stock, or even a collapsible stock.

in my nightstand i either have one of these two. S&W .38 or a Glock 19 which is a 9mm

a home alarm is a great addition, so are dogs. My dogs let me know when there are dear on our lawn, and if they hear the wind blow something over outside. My home alarm is great peace of mind.

here is a excellent write up on shot guns.

Tac Shotgun build.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem with most of this is that in most cases the bad guy will be very close or even in your house when you need to defend yourself. He came in prepared for trouble. Even if you have practiced with your firearm your adrenaline and fear may take control. This is why my weapon of choice is two cans of wasp spray. First of all it will shoot up to about 30 feet, secondly I can buy it at home depot. I can adjust the spray to hit a moving target. I can hit many targets in one spray. It will blind them, they will not be able to breath. Then I will take their weapon from them and finish the job. Also I don't need a permit to buy or carry it.
When I travel I always have it next to me.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
My mind tells me that the best weapon for defending myself is what ever firearm I can get my hands on that the will stop the bad guys at the greatest distance away from me possible...before they get close. Rocks, fists, feet, sticks, knives, etc. are to be used only when I run out of bullets or can't get to a firearm.:D
Ahhh the words of another Mud Marine.... Must be the training, we all seem to think alike...

One thing I've been doing in the belief that some day the leftist will get their gun control dream..is to arm all my friends kids..at my age I may not be here for the revolution, so I'm gifting stuff that may one day not be easy to find, and my gifts leave no trails.. same for my entire armory, it's going to the kids, no papers, no trails, no nothing... If I can't be here my stuff will be!...

Kids are the future and not all of them spend the entire day in front of a computer game...

as for the rest...if it goes bang I either have it or had it and decided it wasn't for me.. and yea I have the bow..

one day soon I fully intend to get a wrist rocket and some real small diam arrows, and try shooting them from the rocket, the Spooks in the Nam were working with the idea but I never heard what happened.. I think with heavier rubbers and a place to rest the shaft it will work and with a razor head it would do some major damage almost anyplace you hit...

God I love this chit!!!..I'd never talk about it but I have some very real ideas for home security come shtf...... ahhh fun!!...well not fun but well yawl know..

·
white belt
46 Posts
My mind tells me that the best weapon for defending myself is what ever firearm I can get my hands on that the will stop the bad guys at the greatest distance away from me possible...before they get close. Rocks, fists, feet, sticks, knives, etc. are to be used only when I run out of bullets or can't get to a firearm.
Of course.

BUT: getting scared and buying a firearm to put in a locked box and never think of it again is not smart nor being prepared.

Depending on the magic of "I have a gun!" is talisman thinking - depending on a thing instead of your preparation of mind, body and soul.

"Rocks, fists, feet, sticks, knives, etc. are to be used only when I run out of bullets or can't get to a firearm..." unless you have no idea of how to use them effectively because you have focused so much on just your firearm.

I'm not speaking of you in particular, mosquitomountainman, just using your note to spring board from.

Ted

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
Of course.

BUT: getting scared and buying a firearm to put in a locked box and never think of it again is not smart nor being prepared.

Depending on the magic of "I have a gun!" is talisman thinking - depending on a thing instead of your preparation of mind, body and soul.

"Rocks, fists, feet, sticks, knives, etc. are to be used only when I run out of bullets or can't get to a firearm..." unless you have no idea of how to use them effectively because you have focused so much on just your firearm.

I'm not speaking of you in particular, mosquitomountainman, just using your note to spring board from.

Ted
My general outlook on self-defense/combat is that distance is good. More distance is even better. If I'm in a situation where the bad guys are at arms length then something went wrong. At that point use whatever is going to be most effective but the fact that the danger is that close means I already dropped the ball somewhere.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
What is the definition of the bad-guy?

One of my friends is a martial artist (several different belts in different disciplines) as well as owns a survival store (camping gear, knives, etc) and one day a bad guy pulled his wallet while he was ordering food at a fast-food joint.

He never felt the wallet leave his pocket

He didn't realize that it was gone for another 15 minutes after he finished eating.

A gun could not have helped him in that situation - I don't know what would have helped other than keeping his hand in his pocket with the wallet between his own fingers ...

·
white belt
46 Posts
My general outlook on self-defense/combat is that distance is good. More distance is even better. If I'm in a situation where the bad guys are at arms length then something went wrong. At that point use whatever is going to be most effective but the fact that the danger is that close means I already dropped the ball somewhere.
I like the way you think!!!!

But the best laid plans never survive first contact and a' that! :)

Ted

·
Registered
30 Posts
This post is titled pesonal defense weapons, we need to keep in mind,(as long as we are not talking about SHTF-total disaster-zombies on you doorstep-defense) that if you use a firearm to defend yourself from an attacker, and the attacker is 30 yards away from you when you dispatch him, then guess what, you will be charged with murder, the lawyers will say that with that much distance between you and your attacker, that your life was not in jeopardy and you did not have the right to shoot. Now I personally don't want an assailant to get too damn close to me, but more often than not he already is, he's either trying to enter your home or is trying to rob or cause physical harm to you or yours. like suvival show said, the best self defense weapon is the one you have closest to hand when you need it.
I knew a guy who told me a story, don't know how true, but, he had fallen asleep on the couch and woke up to a noise, someone was breaking into a living room window. Well, as the guy stuck his head and shoulders in to climb in, my friend smashed a TV over his head, turns out the intruder had a gun in his pocket too. So as stated, sometimes the best weapon is the closest thing to hand!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have the answer to this. The best self defense gun is the one in your hands at the moment the fight starts! So make it the best one you can afford and shoot well.
I agree a weapon is the most viable option if you failed to recognize the danger. But like M3 said awareness and avoidance are the best defense.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i'll just use a 12 gage double barrel shotgun i can always patch up the drywall and repaint and as for the blood well tile cleans up very good break in my house while im home and if you believe in god you will be speaking to him shortly-if you threaten me or my family ---I DON'T TAKE PRISONERS-------remember its better to have and not need than need and not have

1 - 20 of 46 Posts