Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just think about how expensive toilet paper is getting.
We had a bidet put in when we built this house to help keep disabled hubby clean when he is down.It can clean without paper,but we seldom used it until lately.
Also you can rig a shower wand to clean with for less money.
I stopped getting rid of old phone books,catalogs,magazines and other paper goods.
When we were kids and lived in Stone Mountain we had an outhouse that was used if the well pump went out.There were 10 of us if my aunt and her kids lived with us.Ran out of toilet paper fast with 14 people ,so we would use a Sears Robuck catalog.Rub in between hands and crinkle it up real good.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I'm semi-conflicted on this; water is pretty precious, but avoiding e coli is priceless... :dunno:

For those of us with wells &/or are already using grey water to irrigate crops/gardens etc using water for that is not nearly as big an issue as it is for the urban dwellers amongst us with no space and/or say in how resources are allocated.

I like to wash my backside with the 'pressure washer' setting on the shower wand, but I've never done it as a replacement for wiping... something to think about :hmmm:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm semi-conflicted on this; water is pretty precious, but avoiding e coli is priceless... :dunno:

For those of us with wells &/or are already using grey water to irrigate crops/gardens etc using water for that is not nearly as big an issue as it is for the urban dwellers amongst us with no space and/or say in how resources are allocated.

I like to wash my backside with the 'pressure washer' setting on the shower wand, but I've never done it as a replacement for wiping... something to think about :hmmm:
LOL,not a nice conversation but it could come in handy in a sqeeze.
Waters also is cleaner than paper,paper just cleans so much,water washes it off.
The phone books,etc,will dry afterwards.
:wave:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Toilet paper is cheap. There's no way I would go to newspapers, phonebooks, catalogs, or magazines. As part of our stockpile we'll on our way to having 400 rolls.

Using pressurized water to clean yourself instead of TP doesn't sound like a good idea. That stuff all has to splatter somewhere.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toilet paper is cheap. There's no way I would go to newspapers, phonebooks, catalogs, or magazines. As part of our stockpile we'll on our way to having 400 rolls.

Using pressurized water to clean yourself instead of TP doesn't sound like a good idea. That stuff all has to splatter somewhere.
LOL,:lolsmash:. Thanks for the good hard laugh.:beercheer:
400 rolls is a lot of toilet paper!Did you put it in a warehouse?:dunno:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to stick with toilet paper. If I have to work extra to pay for it, so be it.
Bills already had us in stitches,then you came along and we're really laughing.:2thumb::thankyou:

Sheryl Crow would not be happy with you guys,she thinks useing more than 4 sheets is a environmental sin.:nuts:

The question remains to wipe or wash or both.Long as we can we will do all of the above,but when tshtf those phone books ,catalogs and mags,won't do us any good except wiping.:(

Yu better get 2 more jobs if you plan to store up a few yeats of the stuff.:wave:

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
hate to make people bust a gut even more, or barf...

but I'm sure a few of you fellow ******** remember what the 'corncob string' next to the outhouse was for... :eek: :gaah: :lolsmash:

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I dont want to know what corncob string is.

This is a great discussion. Ok, great may be a stretch.
For dealing with a physical ailment, if that is your best option (the bidet), then do it. If SHTF, then the water would be way to precious, unless you had your own unilimited supply of water.
That said, noone could possibly store up enough tp to last forever. Having other options could be a necessity.
Rags that could be cleaned using a minimum amount of water?

·
Registered
633 Posts
back in the olden days they had rags in buckets filled with vinegar to disinfect. OUCH, try wiping with that.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Back in the olden days they had rags in buckets filled with vinegar to disinfect. OUCH, try wiping with that.
The "reusable rags" idea is still used in some parts of the world. But I believe the bucket of vinegar is for the used ones. In other words, you don't wipe with a vinegar soaked rag.

You have to boil them to disinfect them. Maybe boil then chlorine bleach (or other way around) but it is a doable idea...old clothing scraps.

As long as you are boiling, you could just use pond water, etc. ... it doesn't have to be good drinking water.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
In some parts of the middle east they have a sponge on a handle, and it sits in a bucket of vinegar and water, and it's used to clean up "after".

Here on our remote low-budget homestead we use the cloth squares, cut out of old towels and hemmed. I make mine about 3" by 6", since it takes a lot less square inches of cloth to do the job than toilet paper. The 'used' ones go in a pail like a diaper pail was used in years past. They're then washed in soap and bleach, and hung in the sun to further sterilize.

They're less messy to clean than diapers because they just have 'dabs' of the various things from underneath and are not soaked with them.

They feel good on the bottom, and I hate being out and about somewhere now and have to use toilet paper in the restroom.

It's not nearly as gross as you might think. And we save hundreds of dollars every year.

I have a question about the bidet. If you're using water to clean 'down there', don't you then have to use something to dry it? If not, why? If so, what?

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
ROTFL!!! This is in the Missoula newspaper! Seems a truck lost control on a curve and it's load - "megarolls of toilet paper" - was dumped into the river.

Giant toilet paper rolls remain in Lochsa after truck accident

Here's the opening paragraph: "A five-mile stretch of Idaho's Wild and Scenic Lochsa River remained cluttered by megarolls of toilet paper Tuesday, four days after a truck driver from Texas lost control on a tight turn and dumped the load."

See? If everyone used Bidets (or cloth toilet paper :D ) there wouldn't be this problem... :lolsmash:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
LOL,:lolsmash:. Thanks for the good hard laugh.:beercheer:
400 rolls is a lot of toilet paper!Did you put it in a warehouse?:dunno:
It's not as bad as it sounds. I have one tower of one gallon water jugs that's 4 feet x 8 feet and it's 5 layers high. I think I can put one layer of toilet paper packages on top of the water jugs without it being too heavy. I have some on it now. Most of it is in the garage. I'm only half done buying it.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Good grief, how much TP do you guys use anyway?? TP should last quite a while if you use it right:

Take one square and punch a hole in it with your index finger. With your index finger in the hole which is in the TP wipe your bottom and fling that bit into the toilet. Now pull the TP off your finger whilst wiping off your finger. DONE. :D:D:D:lolsmash:

Honestly, I dont see anything wrong with wiping with clothes and washing those... thats probably the most sanitary of all options and wouldnt use too much water (could even be unpotable as mentioned).

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Good grief, how much TP do you guys use anyway?? TP should last quite a while if you use it right:

Take one square and punch a hole in it with your index finger. With your index finger in the hole which is in the TP wipe your bottom and fling that bit into the toilet. Now pull the TP off your finger whilst wiping off your finger. DONE. :D:D:D:lolsmash:

Honestly, I dont see anything wrong with wiping with clothes and washing those... thats probably the most sanitary of all options and wouldnt use too much water (could even be unpotable as mentioned).
Love your method of using TP! :lolsmash:

We have a rainwater capture and cistern set-up, and one of the uses for the water is laundry. Our "wash machine" is two washtubs with a hand-cranked wringer.

I don't wash the TP cloths in there though. I have a different kettle that I boil rainwater in and wash the cloths in it. I also have a different rope for hanging them out on, just to be on the safe side.

I keep the clean ones in one bucket (on right) and the 'used' ones go into bleach water in another bucket (on left). They really do feel nicer than TP, and it's quite sanitary. Many of us grew up in the era of cloth diapers, and this isn't as bad as cleaning those was! :D

It's at least something to know when the last of the store-bought TP is gone, the phone books and catalogs have all been used, and you procrastinated about putting in a bidet! :)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
HOLY BIG PICTURE BATMAN! :eek::2thumb::2thumb: But great set up! thanks for showing us! I am gonna go buy two more lidded buckets for this kind of set up.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Yeah, I hate how the picture came out SO BIG!!!!!!

You oughta see it on my 7" netbook computer! I can only see about 1/6 of the picture at a time and have to scroll up and down and side to side!

Any of you mods know how to size that thing down for me? Geez...

Wish I was a better geek!

:D

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Yeah, I hate how the picture came out SO BIG!!!!!!

You oughta see it on my 7" netbook computer! I can only see about 1/6 of the picture at a time and have to scroll up and down and side to side!

Any of you mods know how to size that thing down for me? Geez...

Wish I was a better geek!

:D
No worries! took me forever to figure out photobucket.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts