Personal Appearance, Make Up

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Meerkat, Nov 15, 2017.

1. gabbyj310

gabbyj310 Not so new

My sister always has a fit because I use soap and water on my face.She has problems with her skin and I do not.I do use makeup because I looked very washed out without makeup.When I go out which is very seldon I do jazz it up a little more....I would say don't go overboard or you will look like a clown.Less is better....

Abby, weedygarden, Meerkat and 3 others like this.
  2. sewingcreations15

sewingcreations15 Hard working Aussie

Oh @AmishHeart you and I are such meanies to our husbands :) , but I must admit it is so funny seeing DH's facial expressions and reactions in such situations. DH does have a couple of sayings in regard to unflattering women's fashion choices being "there is no way I can unsee that" and "they really should do a full twirl in the mirror before leaving the house".

I will say though that all ladies no matter what their size and shape can look elegant if they dress to suit their body shape.

Meerkat, AmishHeart and terri9630 like this.

3. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Soon as I catch up with some of winter stuff I am going to start back the makeup. Will put some on again in the morning chores or no chores.

sewingcreations15 likes this.
  4. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

Okay! I have to add my 2 cents.

As some of you know I was a costumer for film and TV. I was also a makeup artist doing print and theater makeup. There are some basic guidelines for the non expert...

Buy fresh. This means do not use the 3 year old tube of mascara you have in your bathroom drawer. It is full of bacteria and the chemical makeup is no longer the same as when you bought it and can damage skin and cause allergies. If you don't know when the last time you used the product was toss it and buy a new one. This works for every thing including makeup brushes and lotions.

Don't spend big bucks on a product you are unfamiliar with and expect expert results. We go to school to learn how to use the products correctly. Buy the drugstore brands until you can achieve the look you are after everytime.

Don't fall for the contour BS you see on youtube. Unless you are on stage, modeling for print or under hot lights 12 hours a day you don't need that kind of war paint to look good. Plus it really is a scam to get the everyday woman to blow her money on more products she doesn't need. Look at photos from the 1940s. Those ladies did not do makeup contouring and they look beautiful. Seriously, look at the before blending photos of girls doing makeup contouring... they look like clowns!

Apply with a light hand. This means a little product will go a long way and can be added upon to achieve different looks. Heavy handed application can make you look like a clown.

Start simply. Do what you know and go from there. You don't need a face full of makeup to truly shine. Don't be afraid to try new things but don't go overboard. Maybe now is the time to try a beauty box subscription. I get 3 different boxes a month (Target, Birchbox and Sephora) and so far I have used/tried 75% of the products each month. Some I really love and have purchased full size as a result.

5. Grimm

I just cut my hair. I had it down my back as well and was sick of just pulling it back in a ponytail. Because of the coils and curls it was a pain to deal with so I had it all cut off. Now it is way too short to put in a ponytail so I have to style it every day.

I use to use a cleansing conditioner instead of shampoo. Now that I use product in my hair I use Nexxus shampoo.

sewingcreations15 and Meerkat like this.
  6. Meerkat

Thanks Grimm. I didn't know you were a makeup artist. Thanks fro hints and advice from a pro.
    I sent off for a few ELF products in the mail. Very reasonably priced, any advice on them?

Been too busy to makeup this week with sick hubby.

sewingcreations15 likes this.
  7. Grimm

I use E.L.F. for certain things. I use their lip scrub and their tools mostly. Their tinted lip balm/gloss is nice and not under or over pigmented. You can find their products at Target stores if you ever shop there. Right now because of the holidays they have some killer gift sets by E.L.F. that are dirt cheap. Great buys to try a load of different products for little money.

I enjoy my beauty boxes every month because it allows me to try products for $10 or less. I have found a few that I love and have a bin of ones I don't think I'll ever try because the colors are just off. But I can always list those on ebay and get some of my money back.

Meerkat and sewingcreations15 like this.
  8. Meerkat

I just ordered the face exfoliating kit from ELF, matt lipstick and shadow blender brush. Should get it next week. Also gave me some kind of ' gift ' for ordering.
    Will check out the sephora, Target, Birchbox later.Thanks.

With daughters and 8 granddaughters what I don't use won't be wasted.

Grimm likes this.