Persistant Disorderly Conduct

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sailaway, Jun 3, 2009.

1. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Hi all sorry I haven't posted lately, I was arrested last week for the above mentioned charge. I am amazed by it, it is kind of a catch all charge the government has the police use when they can't think of any other law. All I was doing was cutting the grass in a park. I often think that if the government started rounding up its citizens charges like this would be used. What a way to enforce a police state! :eek: I'm back now and will try to keep enjoying the site.:D

2. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Please tell us more. I'm a little confused. Do you work for the parks department? What actually happened? Details will help. What were you doing that they didn't like?

3. sailaway

I am a self employed taxpaying citizen, google (John Hamilton Sandusky Ohio )or (man arrested for mowing grass) or go to the Sandusky Register and read their stories in the paper from last week. The blogs are quite interesting:eek::D:)

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

yeah, I mow about a mile along the main road my street connects to & have been asked why I was doing it my reply is always "cuz it looks like $h!t, it's a vision-obstruction hazard & it's bringing my property values down"

NO good deed goes unpunished my friend

"be patient, Mr. Hamilton, and the government (with it's overpaid, underskilled workforce) will take care of it... eventually"

wouldn't be surprised if it was a 'union man' originally complained, I used to get THAT crap from union laborers all the time

"HEY! that's OUR work!"

"well, if it's YOUR work, get off your a$$ and DO it"

"after our break"

5. The_Blob

"According to the police report, he was seen mowing the grass by Penny Randleman, a forestry department employee."

Anybody want to bet that the city employees (all 3 of them) are deliberately leaving the grass unmowed, to 'dramatize' the fact that their funding is very important and shouldn't be cut?...

... and that your REAL crime was to disrupt this little bit of slow-motion political theatre?

I sent your name to Bill O'Reilley as a nomination for Pinheads & Patriots (as a patriot... I think ;) )

6. jafl

jafl Well-Known Member

Where I live in Florida the law says that a property owner is responsible for keeping the public right-of-way adjacent to his property mowed and clean. My mother used to run a neighborhood grocery store and she was responsible for sweeping the sidewalk every day. She even had to get property records to prove to the building inspector that the vacant lot behind the store was not part of the store’s property so she wouldn’t have to sweep the sidewalk in front of the vacant lot.

If you live in society, you have obligations to society that can be enforced by law. Get over it.

7. jafl

jafl Well-Known Member

There has got to be more to this story than public employees not doing their job. This day and age there are precious few people who would be willing to look out for publicly-owned property. Far too many people live by the motto, “I’ve got mine”.

If the grass-mowing took place in a city park, why was a forestry service worker there to witness it? Just what kind of park was involved?

8. The_Blob

soooo... his obligation here was to just ignore it, 'get over it' as it were?... just watch kids play, not in a nice soft green veldt, but in an overgrown jungle good for hiding bodies (if not bodies then a bit of trash from accounts)?

nice

the activist isn't the person who sits & *****es about how bad things are, the activist is the guy who gets up and DOES something about it

9. jafl

jafl Well-Known Member

His obligation is to obey the law, or if the law is unjust to use constitutional means to have it changed.

10. sailaway

From what an attourney has told me, the use of Persistant Disorderly Conduct can only be used if a law has been established that a citizen cannot mow the park. No ordinance like this has ever been passed in the city. (I'm sure that I'm one of the first people to ever get off their duff and try to help out.) Since there isn't a prescident the police cannot use that charge. This was argued up to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1963, they threw it out because they said it would be establishing a Police State if people could be arrested for what ever with this charge. The police also hadto call the city prossecutor and ask what to charge me with. I was busy cleaning up a big mess.;)

11. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

In order to speed things up a bit:

The Associated Press: Ohio man arrested for mowing unkempt grass at park

Sandusky Man Arrested for Mowing Grass in City Park - WJW - With video

BTW: Is that an aluminum body from Aqualu on your CJ5?

12. jafl

jafl Well-Known Member

But is your mowing the grass in the public park the act that constituted persistent disorderly conduct? No.

Sandusky Man Arrested for Mowing Grass in City Park - WJW

“Hamilton admits police asked him to stop…but as John continued to cut the grass against their wishes he officers contacted their superior officer, who told them to issue one more warning and then if John continued to arrest him for persistent disorderly conduct and obstructing official business.”

You were not charged for mowing grass in a public park; you were charged because you defied the police and obstructed the normal operation of your city government. ”Police say he was asked to stop, not because Hamilton was mowing the lawn, but because there was a liability involved. The acting police chief tells Fox 8 News that the park was littered with trash and Hamilton was mowing over all of it. City Manager Mat Kline says there were bottles and other debris that were being thrown by his mower into the street. Kline also says there are employee issues with unions that are supposed to cut the grass that had to be considered.”

13. The_Blob

Kill ALL the lawyers :eek: :rolleyes:

14. Canadian

So is your riding mower in the police impound next to all the gangster cars with spinning rims?

15. pills

pills Well-Known Member

In the city near where I live you can get a ticket if your grass is over 12 inches.

16. sailaway

No, but to blend in it now has spinners, a Labron Bobblehead on the dash and a big base speaker mounted behind the drivers seat.:D

17. Canadian

You need to put a blower on it. You could mow the whole park in two minutes and be gone. They'd be like "who was that masked man?"

18. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

You should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. An Eye for an Eye, A Tooth for a Tooth and all that.
    Your punishment ? - The city will be coming to your house and mowing your lawn. :D

19. Canadian

YES! Right on!

20. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

Liability?? So what did the city do that was so different when they finished the job?? And why all the sudden did the workers find the time to finish what you started when they hadn't tried to cut it all in the time it took to grow that foot? Kudos to you, I hope your neighbors feel the same way :cool: