Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here believe that perpetual motion can be achieved? I heard some people at MIT got a magnet to spin in a vacuum lol.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I worked on a system that was close-to a perpetual motion. It consisted of a car battery, two 130 watt alternators and a small 12-volt motor that was given to me (it was sitting in a friends basement).

The power system was connected together via 1 gauge welder's cable (it was laying around, probably could have used lighter gauge). The motor powered the alternators, the alternators powered the battery and the battery powered the motor. Full circle power generation system.

The battery also ran a small series of lights.

The original test was to see how long will the battery power the lights (without re-charge) and I was able to power for approx. 36 hours.

Running the battery / motor / alternator system I was able to run the lights for 6 weeks. I am convinced that if I felt like it, I could have continued on even longer.

What I believe was happening (I am not a power-systems engineer) is that the one alternator made the motor run, after the battery got it going in the first place. The other alternator supplied the battery with its continuous power and the battery then was able to provide the required power to the lights.

Now, there will be maintenance on the system - the alternators will burn out (bushings, bearings, etc) and the motor will also burn out (same kind of problems) and the battery will reach an "end-of-shelf-life" ... but, as long as all the parts are functioning at the fullest capacity, it could give a couple of years of service.

Not quite perpetual - but - pretty damn close.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Nope, not even close...

First of all, even the most efficient generators need about 30% more power input in the form of mechanical energy to operate than they produce...
So that would be a 30% loss right there for EACH alternator.

Car alternators are only about 50% efficient, meaning they produce about half the power that is input into them.
Aerodynamic losses to the rotor and fan in the alternators,
Heat ejected from both the windings and rectifier, ect.

That doesn't account for belt slipping losses (all belts slip),
Friction Losses in pulley & bearing systems.
---------------------------

Superconductors, which could be a small magnet spinning in a super cold environment and a vacuum for an atmosphere,
Could be very close...

But it's not 'Perpetual Motion' since the atmosphere and environment are man made and require energy input to produce and maintain.

·
Outdoorsman, Bladesmith
105 Posts
Nice idea, trying to break the laws of thermodynamics. Any Perpetual Motion machine, is at best, a very low-loss system. Let me ask you this, though... can you run your fridge off it? Grind your wheat? What's special about these highly efficient things (operating at very low loads) when it comes to conventional power requirements? It sure ain't gonna mow the lawn.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Honestly, I do believe that perpetual motion is possible. It's also important to remember that Nikola Tesla also believed it. He worked on several projects in order to get what he himself termed as "free energy" but the data gathered from them has disappeared from the public eye.

For those who don't know who Nikola Tesla is, here is what wikipedia says concerning him:

Nikola Tesla (Serbian Cyrillic: Никола Тесла) (10 July 1856 - 7 January 1943) was an inventor and a mechanical and electrical engineer. Born in Smiljan, Croatia, (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire), he was an ethnic Serb subject of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and later became an American citizen. Tesla is often described as the most important scientist and inventor of the modern age, a man who "shed light over the face of Earth". He is best known for many revolutionary contributions in the field of electricity and magnetism in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Tesla's patents and theoretical work formed the basis of modern alternating current electric power (AC) systems, including the polyphase power distribution systems and the AC motor, with which he helped usher in the Second Industrial Revolution. Contemporary biographers of Tesla have regarded him as "The Father of Physics", "The man who invented the twentieth century" and "the patron saint of modern electricity."

After his demonstration of wireless communication (radio) in 1894 and after being the victor in the "War of Currents", he was widely respected as one of the greatest electrical engineers who worked in America. Much of his early work pioneered modern electrical engineering and many of his discoveries were of groundbreaking importance. During this period, in the United States, Tesla's fame rivaled that of any other inventor or scientist in history or popular culture, but due to his eccentric personality and his seemingly unbelievable and sometimes bizarre claims about possible scientific and technological developments, Tesla was ultimately ostracized and regarded as a mad scientist. Never having put much focus on his finances, Tesla died impoverished at the age of 86.

The SI unit measuring magnetic flux density or magnetic induction (commonly known as the magnetic field B), the tesla, was named in his honour (at the Conférence Générale des Poids et Mesures, Paris, 1960), as well as the Tesla effect of wireless energy transfer to wirelessly power electronic devices which Tesla demonstrated on a low scale (lightbulbs) as early as 1893 and aspired to use for the intercontinental transmission of industrial energy levels in his unfinished Wardenclyffe Tower project.

Aside from his work on electromagnetism and electromechanical engineering, Tesla has contributed in varying degrees to the establishment of robotics, remote control, radar and computer science, and to the expansion of ballistics, nuclear physics, and theoretical physics. In 1943, the Supreme Court of the United States credited him as being the inventor of the radio. Many of his achievements have been used, with some controversy, to support various pseudosciences, UFO theories, and early New Age occultism.

Tesla is honored in Serbia and Croatia, as well as in the Czech Republic. He was awarded the highest order of the White Lion by Czechoslovakia.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nope, not even close...

First of all, even the most efficient generators need about 30% more power input in the form of mechanical energy to operate than they produce...
So that would be a 30% loss right there for EACH alternator.

Car alternators are only about 50% efficient, meaning they produce about half the power that is input into them.
Aerodynamic losses to the rotor and fan in the alternators,
Heat ejected from both the windings and rectifier, ect.

That doesn't account for belt slipping losses (all belts slip),
Friction Losses in pulley & bearing systems.
---------------------------

Superconductors, which could be a small magnet spinning in a super cold environment and a vacuum for an atmosphere,
Could be very close...

But it's not 'Perpetual Motion' since the atmosphere and environment are man made and require energy input to produce and maintain.
I agree 100% NO such animal, never will be either. Pure physics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts