Perfect example

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Turtle, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Not sure if you guys have heard about the huge snow storm that is headed for Maryland this weekend, but we are supposed to get between 18 and 30 inches of snow between Friday night and Sunday morning. May not sound like much to some of you guys in the great white north, but in Maryland, that's huge. We are on target to have the most snowy winter in 100 years.

I am (as you may have guessed) pretty well prepared. We've got enough food and stuff stored up to last for a couple of weeks with no problems (not as much as a lot of others on this site, but much better than most folks in this area.

The winter storm warning went into effect at 9am today. Last night, I ran to the local Safeway grocery store to grab an onion and a green pepper to make chili. We had everything else, but wanted fresh veggies. When I pulled into the parking lot, at around 1700, it was really packed. Kinda expected that. What I didn't expect, was for the store to be pretty much wiped out!
    grocery.jpg

They were entirely sold out of about 80% of the fresh veggies, all of the ground beef, all of the chicken breasts, about 80% of the fresh meat in general, all but six cartons of eggs, about half of the milk, and about half of the canned goods. I was floored. The guy in front of me bought $292 worth of groceries! I was in line so long, I grabbed a couple of magazines, and read all three while in line.

So, for anyone who has ever thought that they could just "run to the store" before the SHTF . . . be warned! There won't be anything left at the store! My little brother is a butcher for Safeway, and he said that they upped production for the day by about 25%, expecting to sell a lot, but they were wiped out by about 1600.

2. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

My husband and I went to the store last night (he wanted shrimp and I wanted a book-Square Foot Gardening!!)), it was a mad house. The biggest sellers: toilet paper, bread, potato chips and sodas!!

We are supplied with food, water, firewood, basic essentials for a few weeks so we are good.

My daughter was at work last night and a BGE worker came in. He told her that they were told to come in and be prepared to stay at work for atleast 4 days. They were expecting power outages with this storm.

3. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was shocked that all of the potato chips were sold out, too! I never eat them, so I didn't even consider it. I don't drink soda either, so I didn't notice their levels.

I am supposed to work all weekend. Really not looking forward to driving from Annapolis to Laurel at 3pm and REALLY not looking forward to trying to get home again around midnight! This is gonna SUCK!

We, unfortunately, do not have a fireplace or woodstove in this house. That is a priority in out next house, when we buy.

4. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Well i sure hate that you all are gona have all the fun this weekend. Looks like for once old kentuck at least my area are not gona get it that bad till maybe next week. We are expecting around 3-4" i think thats the latest so far, it will be the wet heavy snow it don't take all that much to cause problems. I hope you all make it warm and safe.

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We're looking at 12-15 here from Fri night through Sat afternoon. DS, who doesn't spend much time here anymore, went to the store Thur. morning about 7:30 to pick up things for him and his girlfriend and told us it was a madhouse. DW and I just looked at each other and smiled. We won't be making that trip. :D

6. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Ugh. I really hate snow. I've been trying to convince my wife to move to North Carolina, lately. She has a bunch of friends down there, so I'm hoping she takes to the idea.

7. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I wish the best for you guys. Good luck with the snow.

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

North Carolina has had it's share of snow this year also. :)

9. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Grab your snowshoes and telescopic-poles and have fun in the snow ... I know that I would have a blast with that much snow, or, I would just head to the hills and spend the day on my skis (x-country, Downhill or my snowboard) ..

You'll probably hate the sound of this, but, I prefer to play in the snow than to play on a sunny beach .. :surrender:

10. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

So far today we are standing at around 32 inches and it's still coming down. At 2 am, my husband decided to try to plow. He backed into the power meter and so we are out of power and are running on generator power. He got stuck plowing at that hour. He tried the bobcat and it got stuck or just spun in place.
    The only thing that is wrong right now is that I have no hot water to take a bath. The hot water heater is not hooked up to the generator. I told the hubby we need to remedy this problem LOL Other than that one thing, we're set and running smooth. We've been thru this before back in '93' when we got 36 inches.
    Apparently, we're now on the backside of the storm here in WV and we're getting the wrap around snow. It is blowing out of the north/northeast. I'm thinking we may go over the 36 inch mark
    Just stay home. Nothing is worth your life. NOTHING. stay home, be with your family and stay safe.

11. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

We are up to 30 inches in Annapolis. It's insane.

12. mdprepper

Hey Turtle, Glad you made it home and have power. My guess is that we have about 30 or so inches.

These were from last night and this morning.

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      71.2 KB
      Views:
    • 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      52.3 KB
      Views:
  13. mdprepper

Oops! Sorry they are so big, I do not know how to size them down!!