people have asked for survivalist fiction

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Herbalpagan, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

Survival Fiction E-books and how to get them (brief synopsis and review)

In light of recent interest and requests for summer reading ideas I’ve gathered the following information. I apologize for any errors in spelling names and such. Please add any others and link to them that you feel people might enjoy.

Avalon – by LMichael Rusin [email protected] mention you are a member of a survival forum (he’s a forum member too) and get the ebook for only $10. A great read! Lots of information. An attack on America starts with small nukes in major cities and it follows the ensuing breakdown of society. The group the book follows is in northern CA. Good info on using materials that are found, working in a group and building a self sustaining group.

Lights Out! By Halffast – free e-book written by a survival forum member. Available on Amazon.com as a paper-based book or as a Kindle download A good read about an EMP event and the residents of a Texas suburb. It covers not only the EMP effects (which are minimalized) and focuses on the breakdown of society and the building of a network of communities to survive. Lots of detailed info on survival strategies like gardening, water etc.

Patriots: Surviving the coming collapse. By James Rawles. Amazon.com: Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse eBook: James Wesley Rawles: The Kindle Store
    A good book by Survivorblog owner (SurvivalBlog.com) Rawles. It follows an economic crash and it’s resulting breakdown of society, with a band of Christian survivors. The group in in Utah. The group has been preparing for something to happen for years, and have a well oiled plan. Lots of good info on stocking up, weapons and surveillance techniques.

One Second After by William Forstchen. Available in many formats. Amazon.com: One Second After: William R. Forstchen: Books
    An EMP scenario taking place in North Carolina. It follows the event and the year that follows through the eyes of a man who lives in a small town and is a war history teacher. Lots of very good and scary info about the steps that will occur in such an event, with an eventual 90% die-off of the population.

Emergency (this book could save your life) by Niel Strauss. Emergency by Neil Strauss
    A hilarious look at one mans journey to become a survivalist. While funny, it does contain some very good ideas, especially for a beginner or “city slicker”.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
  2. Smithy

Smithy Outdoorsman, Bladesmith

One series I enjoyed started with "Dies the Fire" by S.M. Stirling.

3. Herbalpagan

I loved the "Dies the Fire" series! It was the first "survivalist" fiction that I read. I found it to be a good look at what would happen if power was gone through a disaster and how to see the use in somethings I hadn't thought of. Now, my husband and I can't drive anywhere without noting things like antique farm equipment in people's yard that are being used as decor. I thought it was also interesting how certain groups banded together to create new societal structures.

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I'm a big fan of Farmham's Freehold... you can find PDFs of it for free with a simple google-search

5. mtnscout

mtnscout Active Member

More Books

Here are a few of the one's I've read and there's more whose titles I can't remember.

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
    The first one I ever read, one of the first in the genre. Post nuclear war situation in florida in the sixties.

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart
    Another old classic. Disease wipes out most of mankind and a few people are left to rebuild.

Footfall by Larry Niven
    Earth is trashed by aliens and people try to survive and fight back. Good fun read.

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
    A comet hits the earth and people try to pull together a small community.
    Good read and in Dr. Pournelles sci-fi series "There will be War" he presents stories of survivalism as well as war. Highly recommended.

Malevil by Robert Merle and Derek Coltman
    Written about a post nuclear war France.

No Blade of Grass by John Christopher
    A group tries to flee London after a collapse due to the loss of food around the world. Book is good but I hear the BBC miniseries is pretty bad, it's on Youtube if you want to check it out.

Some Will Not Die by Algis Budrys
    Another disease wipes us out book but good about trying to rebuild society even if dated.

The Postman by David Brin
    The book is ok, just don't think about the terrible Costner movie. Storylines are only vaguely related.

The Rift by Walter J. Williams
    A earthquake wipes out mid-america. The biggest earthquake in American history was the New Madrid quake in 1812, even the mississippi changed it's course. Good read but like some others it adds some strange racial stuff for drama.

Wolf And Iron by Gordon R. Dickson
    General collapse of socisty. Not that great but fun and a few ideas.

World Made by Hand: A Novel by James Howard Kunstler
    Society after the world runs out of oil and moves back to a pre-industrial base.

On a non-fiction note the books by Mell Tappan in the 70's "Tappan on Survival" and "Survival Guns" are dated but he wrote a personal survival newsletter before just about anyone. Some of the concepts are still good and they present things you might appreciate.

I have read all of these and even some of the so-so ones gave me something to think about. Most of these are available on Amazon.

6. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

Ok, it is 115 in the morning. My alarm goes off at 0430. Teddy is dead. And I have been absolutely unable to stop reading halffast's story on survivalmonkey. Wow. I am up to chapter 34 and am having to force myself to go to bed, 3 1/2 hours late, wondering what will happen next, and if the sheriff can really be trusted, or if he is setting something up.

Wow. Haven't been this interested in any reading material in several years. :2thumb:

7. BlackDogExpress

BlackDogExpress New Member

I only found one guys and he is no longer hosting it. Do you have a copy?

8. displaced1

displaced1 Member

I liked Preppers Road march I found on kindle, its sort of part survival book and part EMP adventure fiction book
    From amazon site
    A solar storm has just hit the world causing a EMP event. A emergency manager visiting Atlanta GA must find his way back home after this electromagnetic pulse has stranded him away from his vehicle and his beloved "bug out bag". With 180 miles to go to his destination, David must let his street smarts and survival skills kick in as food and water becomes scarce and societal breakdown proceeds at an unrelenting pace. An interesting and often funny cast of characters from the Deep South helps the displaced Prepper on his way, as he shares his knowledge of how to make do with common items in order to live another day. Ultimately, he acquires an old tractor and heads for home on a car-littered interstate. This is book one of the Prepper Trilogy.

9. beericus

beericus Well-Known Member

im reading earth abides now........ not only a great book concerning post apocalyptic life, i think it should be required reading as a precursor or successor to atlas shrugged.

10. Caseyboy

Caseyboy Well-Known Member

Avalon by L Michael Rusin

Recently it was brought to my attention an email associated with my book is listed here as hexed666.com/ That is not my email address. It is a hacker that stole my book and occasionally sells it on the net. My correct email address is either [email protected] or if you go to my web site at www.lmichaelrusin.com you can contact me there. My book also sells at Amazon and CreateSpace as a printed book. The link is: https://www.createspace.com/3476769

or at:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...-keywords=Avalon+by+L+Michael+Rusin&x=12&y=24

Caseyboy

11. Caseyboy

Caseyboy Well-Known Member

12. Herbalpagan

13. hawk20011

hawk20011 New Member

14. DKRinAK

DKRinAK As smart as

If allowed to self-promote

Over on the Amazon ebook site, I have three EoW books -

World of the Chernyi - First Strike
    World of the Chernyi - Going home and
    World of the Chernyi - Pedro Six Two.

I have a web site of the same name that (only) hosts samples of all three that you can read on your browser, and provides a link to each book - each book has a look inside section as do many of the books on Amazon.

The World of the Chërnyi is an ebook series by author D.K. Richardson with an exciting new twist on an old theme.

The Earth and moon have been struck by a mysterious object. The series describes the ensuing societal upheaval and how the series protagonists attempt to carry on despite the chaos.

First Strike follows three main characters as they cope with the chaos in a rural setting.

Going Home follows one family and others as they become part of the Government's attempt to restore order in urban areas.

Pedro Six Two follows the crewmen of the V-22 Osprey "Pedro Six Two" as they discover and deal with the disaster and breakdown of society.

The series is a story 'set' written to encourage readers to think about what could happen, and get the reader to begin thinking about what preparation they can take to help their families weather any storm natural or man-made.

I think the members of the board will enjoy the stories. Strong female characters, realistic issues and possible solutions make this a bit different than most of the EoW stories found today.

Link to bio (http://www.amazon.com/D.-K.-Richardson/e/B005JT4QP2/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1) and the stories.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  15. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Thank you! I look forward to checking it out! I'm always happy to find new EoW stories and books! :)

16. LiamFisher

LiamFisher Member