Prepared Society Forum banner

Peep Hole

4K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  backlash 
#1 ·
The peep hole on my front door is too high for my kids to see out of when they are home alone. I have heard that you can drill a lower hole and stick a new peep hole there. Is it really as easy as it sounds?

#2 ·
Yes, installation really is that simple.
It's a great idea, BUT before you go punching holes in a door, you should hold a new lense at their (kids') height. They have a fish-eye lense on them that allows for a wide field of view...but it may just capture your guests' legs in the view.

Pointless recommendation:
I am not trying to plug the following company as you can find these items at various places: HERE is a small black and white dome camera. You could wire this one to display on your TV's channel 3 or any monitor. They have hundreds of different models. Some even have IR lights built-in for night time viewing. Overkill? You bet. Neat? Sure. If you can hook up a cable/sat box, you can install video security.

#7 ·
Peep hole reversers exist. They allow perps to view inside your home. Common for voyeurs, sometimes by perps with worse intentions. COVER THE INSIDE side of the peep hole until you're ready to use it. I have seen tape, roofing washer on a framing nail to swing out of the way, and also simple commercial swing-out covers.

Do use at least a 180 degree viewer. Most viewers are 160 degree and don't see wide enough.

#11 ·
I have the same problem in my house, in which I haven't found a solution to so I am glad I found this forum and thread! I do have a window right next to the door that you can see out of onto the porch and front door area but if you move the curtains and blinds to see out, it is very obvious. Whoever was out there would see that someone is inside snooping out. I guess it may be better to let them know someone is home, but I am not so sure if it is just the kids there alone.

#13 ·
How would somebody get a reverse peep hole in your door? Is it an easy thing to do? That is kind of worrisome.

Also, I think a step stool would be a really good inexpensive fix!
It is an optical device, it looks like a lens or loupe. You hold it up to the exterior side of the peep hole and it reverses the peep hole function. As long as there is interior light they can see inside in almost the same peep hole fashion.

The reversers are popular with voyeurs and other criminals.

#18 ·
The city bag of tricks

This thread got me thinking. There is an additional bag of tricks that a city person might need in case of a SHTF situation vs a person in rural areas. For example a good set of bump keys or a lock pick set would be invaluable in finding shelter and food. But how do you know the apartment/condo/hotel room you are looking to occupy is empty? Enter the Reverse Door Peep Hole Viewer and its ability to let you look before you leap.

So here is a start on a list of extras needed by city preppers:
1. Bump keys or a lock pick set (open any door)
2. Reverse Door Peep Hole Viewer (check for occupants before you enter)
3. Sewer maps (underground highway and shelter)
4. Water line maps (low spots in the water system will hold usable water)
5. Yellow pages (resources at your fingertips)
6. Stethoscope (listen through doors and walls)
7. Hand help propane detector (keep you from blowing yourself up) (only tool on my list that needs batteries)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.