Peanut Butter

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Murrel-Maher, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Murrel-Maher

Murrel-Maher Guest

How long does opened peanut butter last at room temperature? Does it last longer if you store it in the refrigerator instead of in the pantry?

2. coinguy

coinguy Guest

I don't know specifically, but with any oil product, it will go rancid after a time. I've had it around for a couple of months, opened, but it is usually consumed long before that. :D We keep it in the refrigerator to keep it from the dogs, and if we get the non-homogenized variety, it will keep it from seperating.

G

3. MudDuck

MudDuck Guest

That is a good question, anyone else have any idea?

4. TimB

TimB Member

From what I've been able to find, the general consensus is 6-9 mos. unopened, 2-3 mos. opened, slightly longer in the fridge.

Tim

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I've kept the bulk cans of generic peanut butter for almost two years in the past & it was still good... well, edible :rolleyes:

It's only available by mail, but a package of four 6 1/2-ounce jars of powdered peanut butter (each is equivalent to an 18-ounce jar of prepared peanut butter) costs $16.

Bell Plantation, Inc. - PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter - Home

phone: 229-387-7238 (Georgia)

6. merlotmaker

merlotmaker Guest

Does it change consitency or texture when going bad?

7. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Like any other product with a high oil content it should smell BAD. A simple rule is that if something smells bad don't eat it.

8. The_Blob

you're single, aren't you? :eek: :D

9. Canadian

Nope. Married. Plus I keep my kitchen including the fridge very clean.

10. And I'm guessing not Norwegian either?

11. Canadian

Nope I'm Canadian.

12. The_Blob

hence the clever username 'Canadian' & the 'Location: Canada' in your profile

& once again, Irony becomes a the lost art

13. DrewDrew

DrewDrew Guest

Haha hey, I go by the same rule of thumb! If it smells rancid, it's rancid! If it smells ok to you and still makes you hungry, it should be good. LOL Key word: should

And yes, I'm single! Ha!