Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does opened peanut butter last at room temperature? Does it last longer if you store it in the refrigerator instead of in the pantry?

·
Registered
61 Posts
How long does opened peanut butter last at room temperature? Does it last longer if you store it in the refrigerator instead of in the pantry?
I don't know specifically, but with any oil product, it will go rancid after a time. I've had it around for a couple of months, opened, but it is usually consumed long before that. :D We keep it in the refrigerator to keep it from the dogs, and if we get the non-homogenized variety, it will keep it from seperating.

G

·
446 Posts
From what I've been able to find, the general consensus is 6-9 mos. unopened, 2-3 mos. opened, slightly longer in the fridge.

Tim

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I've kept the bulk cans of generic peanut butter for almost two years in the past & it was still good... well, edible :rolleyes:

It's only available by mail, but a package of four 6 1/2-ounce jars of powdered peanut butter (each is equivalent to an 18-ounce jar of prepared peanut butter) costs $16.

Bell Plantation, Inc. - PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter - Home

phone: 229-387-7238 (Georgia)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Like any other product with a high oil content it should smell BAD. A simple rule is that if something smells bad don't eat it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Haha hey, I go by the same rule of thumb! If it smells rancid, it's rancid! If it smells ok to you and still makes you hungry, it should be good. LOL Key word: should

And yes, I'm single! Ha!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts