Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard on the radio that peanut butter and peanut prices are expected to go from 650 dollars a ton to 1100 dollars a ton. They expect peanut butter prices to go up 60 percent

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Thanks Turtle. I meant to post this the other day and forgot about it.

We went to the store on Sunday and I just about fell over. The double packs of Jif that we've been stocking up on went from $8.65 to... $11.68. :eek: Thankfully we have 11-12 of these on the shelf so we'll ride out this storm. :)

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
is there a shortage of peanuts? I might have to buy more bags of regular nuts and grind my own. I stocked up on peanut butter at a good price a ways back and now down to a couple jars. hmmm

·
what the ......
13 Posts
I make one week, one person buckets for my kids and buy the smaller size jars. Bought two of them last [email protected] 1.98ea and that was on sale. It seems like all the news about food is bad, and not getting better. After this winter, im going all out old mcdonald, with an oink oink here and an oink oink there! Lol.
I wonder just how many other crops were drought affected. It has to be alot. This does not bode well for us my friends......

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Hey, I guess all of those folks who are working for peanuts will be doing alright now.

On a serious note, peanuts and peanut butter is just the next item in the pantry to skyrocket. Time to add another case to the "commissary".

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Thanks Turtle. I meant to post this the other day and forgot about it.

We went to the store on Sunday and I just about fell over. The double packs of Jif that we've been stocking up on went from $8.65 to... $11.68. :eek: Thankfully we have 11-12 of these on the shelf so we'll ride out this storm. :)
I have a back up, but I eat a lot too, this will affect me eventually.

·
Mobile Bug-Out-Bag-Man
56 Posts
Thanks alot for the heads up. I personally hate peanut butter (yet I'll eat octopus ice cream and weird stuff like that). But I buy peanut butter for it's shelf life and nutritional value. After all when SHTF all the picky people will be dead.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I have a back up, but I eat a lot too, this will affect me eventually.
Ours will last 18-24 months. The peanut crisis should be over before then. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I picked up eight jars last week and I'll probably get at least that much at the first of the month. We don't eat a lot of it, but as it was pointed out, it is a good food source if the SHTF.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I may have posted this elsewhere but did feel the need to share--dh was in a rural little community and the farmers were talking about what price they received on corn and soy(beans); doubled the usual prices ...my take is that the price of anything with corn, soy, all feeds, etc will affect our food prices.. in other words, WE AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!!

Add to those crops, cotton, wheat, and beans, we're in for a real nasty winter.

God bless all who are diligent and are preparing.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I bought 2 plastic 1 gallon buckets of PB at the Mennonite Store for $8 each on Monday, maybe I should go buy more? :dunno:

not to hijack the thread but I just GOT PAID to take Progresso Soup off the shelf :2thumb: I normally don't buy it because it's pretty pricey normally

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I bought 2 plastic 1 gallon buckets of PB at the Mennonite Store for $8 each on Monday, maybe I should go buy more? :dunno:

not to hijack the thread but I just GOT PAID to take Progresso Soup off the shelf :2thumb: I normally don't buy it because it's pretty pricey normally
Yeah, even at DG I don't buy progresso--off topic, but DG and SaveaLot had the 26 oz chicken noodle and tomato for $1(generic Kaskey brand)---I thought since the 10oz was 70 cents, the $1 was great for 26 oz.

I know, we just hijacked the thread.

·
Registered
672 Posts
And here I let my peanut butter stocking slack off! :cry:

I'd better go pick some up before the prices go higher...and buy the attachment for my grinder so I can make my own...and plant peanuts next year...:eek::surrender:

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
After all when SHTF all the picky people will be dead.
I laughed when I read this, great line Mike.

I see this a lot at work. One brand of bottled water is better than another; can't drink this one because it tastes funny; I don't eat anything from a jar, only fresh for me…

I needed a drink of water the other day and pulled it from the tap at work. Boy did I get harassed by the folks there! "How can you drink that, it tastes horrible." And how would you know if you only drink bottled water then? All I have at home is well water, it tastes like water to me. I'm not paying $1.00 for a sip of water from a vending machine.

I also get ridiculed, well not really but it does get mentioned, that I eat the same thing every day for lunch. I also eat it for dinner I tell them, boy that sets them off. I make a big batch of something over the weekend and dish it out for the following week. I hear from them that most people cannot eat leftovers because they are old and stale tasting. Sorry, but I cannot afford to spend $10 or $15 each meal when I can spend around $20 for enough of something to sustain me for a week.

Imagine these folks when something happens and there are only a few jars of PB in the cupboard? I can eat most anything, and have at one time or another. I'm not a huge fan of PB but boy could I get to love it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hardly ever use PB , but I have a couple jars put back, Has any one ever looked up the shelf life? Yea, I know , why not look it up my self,but Im on dial up an don't have the patience for some things.. I was thinking of getting some more for some people do love the stuff, an heck I just may have to feed someone besides me, myself an I an my better half.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
The date stamped on the lid is usually about 2 years out but I've read of folks that have 5 year old PB that tastes fine. I would think keeping it in a cool environment would be critical because of the high fat/oil content. We keep it in the cellar which stay's between 60°- 65° year round.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I laughed when I read this, great line Mike.

I see this a lot at work. One brand of bottled water is better than another; can't drink this one because it tastes funny; I don't eat anything from a jar, only fresh for me…

I needed a drink of water the other day and pulled it from the tap at work. Boy did I get harassed by the folks there! "How can you drink that, it tastes horrible." And how would you know if you only drink bottled water then? All I have at home is well water, it tastes like water to me. I'm not paying $1.00 for a sip of water from a vending machine.

I also get ridiculed, well not really but it does get mentioned, that I eat the same thing every day for lunch. I also eat it for dinner I tell them, boy that sets them off. I make a big batch of something over the weekend and dish it out for the following week. I hear from them that most people cannot eat leftovers because they are old and stale tasting. Sorry, but I cannot afford to spend $10 or $15 each meal when I can spend around $20 for enough of something to sustain me for a week.

Imagine these folks when something happens and there are only a few jars of PB in the cupboard? I can eat most anything, and have at one time or another. I'm not a huge fan of PB but boy could I get to love it!
When I was a kid my mom would make a pot of beans or spaghetti, whatever, and we ate it for lunch and dinner until it was gone. It did not matter if it took a week to finish it off, that was what we had for a meal. She very rarely made a meal that had meat, potatoes, a vegetable, dessert, etc. The only other thing that was put on the table was bread, salt/pepper, and of course, Tabasco.

I also know people who won't eat leftovers, I never got that because it's so wasteful.

Oh, and to keep this relevent to the thread, lol, we did eat a lot of peanut butter and syrup sandwiches, very rarely had jam/jelly at our house.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I guess it shouldn't, but it still amazes me how picky, petty, wasteful, and just downright stupid some people can be.
I am not amazed however that the folks on here don't fit in those catagories. We as preppers pretty well have our acts together.

If your so called friends or coworkers want to give you a hard time about being sensible and frugal, I wouldn't loose a seconds worth of sleep over it.
When they say something negative about what you eat, drink, or what you prepare for your family, just look at them, smile, shake your head and keep on doing what you know is best for you and yours.

When the caviar and perrier is all gone and they can't understand why they can no longer "run to the store" and pick "something" up, then guess who will be at your door with their hand out demanding that you take care of them.

Like I have said before, those that need and deserve help should get it. Those that demand help and have done nothing to deserve it can go sit on a peach tree stump and wait for the peaches to grow.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
I don’t lose any sleep over it. They used to joke about me driving a Yaris with manual everything too. It was voted gayest vehicle of the year two years running you know. By gay groups, not just folks who thought it was gay. They stopped ribbing me after gas hit $4.00 and stayed north of $3.50. Summertime I can keep tank averages in the 53 to 57 mpg range, winter above 45 mpg.

They know where I stand on things. There are many areas I have no control over price and how much things I have to buy costs me. Areas where I have some control (like weekly food and gas budgets) I make sure I get the most out of what I buy.

I won’t shed too many tears for them when I’m living off tubs of PB and they are choking down water from the tap!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts