Peanut butter jars. What do you use yours for?

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by Salekdarling, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

I have a couple plastic peanut butter jars and a ricotta cheese container that I washed and saved. What do you stock in these containers?

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Peanut butter and ricotta cheese? :ignore:

If they have a screw on lid, I store my dried herbs in plastic bags and put the bags in the jars. The containers with "snap on" lids I send out for recycling. Sugar, salt or anything else dry could be stored in them as well. :)

3. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

How long would you keep the herbs/cooking supplies in the container before rotating the stock? I mean, they are small containers (I believe 16 oz.) and would seem just pointless to store anything in them but dried herbs...or coffee. Mmm coffee. :)

4. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I use mine for storing seed, dried herbs etc.

5. Diego2112

Diego2112 Well-Known Member

Screws, nuts, bolts, wirenuts, fishhooks, and splitshot/other weights.

Though now, I'll prolly start using them for herbs, spices, and seeds as well! :D

6. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

The plastic empties help fill the recycling bin at work.

7. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

i use mine to keep bread yeast, dried things like raisins, dates etc.
    screws and nails and stuff.
    herbs.
    oh goodness, you can do a lot with them. lol

8. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

In the shed they hold fishing sinkers, hooks, nuts, bolts, screws--that way I could have my mason jars back.

In the kitchen I keep stuff like open bags of chocolate chips, dried fruit, coconut, marshmallows. When I am making granola bars, muffins, etc I only use a 1/2 cup or so out of a bag and I find it easier to use the jars. I can see what is in them and they rotate out pretty quickly.

Those ricotta cheese containers are great for things like baking powder. I buy mine in the 13 lb bag and do not want to drag that out every time I bake. So I pour some in one of those and label it. I also keep one above the kitchen sink with a scooper in it for dish washing (Thank you again GypsySue!!) and one in each bathroom for cleaning, and above the washing machine for adding to laundry (along with a bottle of vinegar).

I also use it to store some powdered milk for scooping out in recipes. I hate when I go to pour it in to a 1/4 cup measure and it goes everywhere. This way i just scoop it out and no mess!!

I also keep one in the fridge for leftover veggies. End of the week I make a stew or soup.

I also use both for sending leftovers home with people. Great for soup, chili, whatever and I do not have to worry about getting them back.

My Husband uses them to in his lunch bag too and if he forgets and leaves it in the back of the truck for a week, I do not mind throwing it away!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  9. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Very insightful. Thank you for the responses. I'll keep the containers for cooking. It'd definitely be useful instead of lugging around a huge bag of baking powder or baking soda. :) I already use baking soda to wash my hair so it'll be useful to have in the bathroom instead of a flimsy cardboard box.

10. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Sorry, that was supposed to say baking soda. I didn't want GypsySue thinking I was washing my dishes with baking powder.

11. Bidadisndat

Bidadisndat Newcomer

We would be lucky to collect more than 4 or 5 of those containers in a year, but then Peanut Butter is not considered a staple down here in Australia!

"Vegemite" jars, on the other hand.......

12. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

empty peanut butter jars and mayonnaise jars are handy to keep fertilizer in and just leave the jar in the garden, it's alway there for use and don't get wet.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  13. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

welcome to the forum! :beercheer:

and YUCK!... vegemite ;)

14. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I use them to store leftovers in the fridge.

15. JeepHammer

JeepHammer Well-Known Member

You bet your butt I do!

Everything from keeping the toilet paper dry to small parts in jars that don't break!

Every home shop in America used to have a row of baby food jars under a shelf, lids screwed to the bottom of the shelf, so you could see what screws, nails, ect. you had,
    Kept them close at hand, visible, out of the way, used spaces that were otherwise wasted, and kept those little jars out of the landfills.

People don't think like that anymore, but it's going to save you MONEY,
    So no reason NOT to do it!

The larger Peanut containers (Square Plastic) make GREAT storage containers you can see what's inside without taking the lid off and pouring everything out!
    Makes for GREAT reuse, everything from water tight storage to flotation in an emergency!

-------------------------------

I cut the plastic water bottles off and use the 'Cups' for everything from starting plants in to wasp/bee traps.

The BRAND of peanut butter, peanuts, mayo, pasta sauce I buy often depends on what jars they are in.
    A lot of pasta sauce comes in REUSABLE canning jars, and that saves me money on jars, which DO NOT live forever...
    Even the smallest crack or chip in the rim makes it useless since it won't seal up anymore,
    So putting some new ones in the process is mandatory,
    So when I buy sauce, I get it in the reusable jars.

The square peanut containers make for good storage that Doesn't Break when they get rattled around...
    I use the crap out of them, and when you buy the larger sizes, you get a better deal since you aren't paying so much for the packaging in the larger sizes.

Finding the peanut butter jars that DO NOT neck down at the top, stay full size all the way through the neck are the best for me since I have big front paws they make it easier for me to get into.

Like I said, the little water bottles (Clear Sides) make for good plant starting containers that are free,
    And since they make boxes that EXACTLY FIT those size containers,
    'Flats' of transplants are easy...

I even use the colored bottles, Mt. Dew for example, for small batches of this or that.
    The color of the container tells me it's a different kind of lettuce or tomato starts since you can't tell the difference when they are first sprouting...

Taking old milk and juice jugs, filling them with water, and punching a small hole in the bottom,
    Then sitting that jug next to your plant will water for several days without dragging out the hose,
    And you are reusing the container (Which is petroleum based, so all the lives you can give it make sense).

Some people punch holes in the caps then turn the jug upside down in the dirt for it to water the plants...
    This works VERY well, since every drop goes to the plants roots, no evaporation at the surface...
    And the jugs don't leak on the way to to the garden like holes in the bottom will!

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle....
    Saves you a TON of money, and keeps the crap out of the landfill!

Just to tell you what I do with these,
    Our 'Quick Camp' is in one of the Peanut containers...
    Rain ponchos, emergency blankets, fire starting, jerky, rice, tin cups, foil packages of tuna, water purification tabs, zip lock bags, salt/pepper/chili powder,
    You get the idea...
    I keep one in most of the vehicles and there is one in the camping gear...
    Comes in REALLY handy!

My garage shelves are plastered with these containers, both round and square.
    I can see what's in the container, and they are GREAT for those small parts that don't take open exposure or rattle around in metal drawers very well.
    Keeps things neat, organized, easy to find and free of rust, corrosion, dust, ect.

I'm sure there are 'Better' ways to store all this stuff,
    But I LOVE peanuts, peanut butter, pasta, so this isn't a problem for me...
    If someone doesn't like the way my shop is organized, they can go somewhere else and pay a bunch more for the overheat of 'Proper' storage containers, bins, ect.

My welding rods don't care if they are kept in humidity controlled conditions in an old refrigerator, or a $20,000 rod oven...
    As long as they are dry, they are happy, and I'm not inclined to buy a $20,000 rod storage oven as long as that old fride with a 15 Watt humidity controll rod is there...

PLUS! The little light comes on when I open the door looking for rods! :p
    The biggest grip I have is that I can't get a magnet to stick to the door of that stainless fridge!
    I can live with that for $20,000 savings...

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  16. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Nuts and bolts. Also leftovers. We do use them a lot.

17. bstickler92

bstickler92 Well-Known Member

this is probably a stupid question but how do you guys go about getting all the peanut butter out of the jar? one to get it clean and two i like to get all of it on my sandwich

18. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Spatula. It's semi rigid and gets every last drop out. You can get a 3 pack at the Dollar Store for about $2.

Attached Files:

19. bstickler92

bstickler92 Well-Known Member

haha, i totally thought there was some secret procedure known only by few. well i'll just have to make due when my pb runs out.

20. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

SO MUCH INFORMATION! Thank you JeepHammer!:2thumb: I'm writing it all down now that way I have my tips. :D