Peaceful Religion

Discussion in 'Religion' started by horseman09, Oct 12, 2010.

1. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Peaceful my a$$. Below are exerpts from an Al Qaeda magazine on how to get the most carnage.

Al-Qaeda magazine published 'tips on how to kill Americans' - Telegraph

While it is fashionable to say "All Muslims aren't kill-for-Allah types", what are they doing to make their voices heard? I don't hear any Muslim groups denouncing violence. I don't see any Muslim organizations spending big bucks on advertising critical of Al Qaeda or the Taliban or any other Muslim groups who are killing innocent men, women and children around the world.

IMHO, since Muslims are not speaking out against the carnage and horror -- they are one with the terrorists.

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL Edmund Burke, and ALL as true today as ever they were then, perhaps more so now if that is possible

3. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Couldn't agree with you more!

4. PragmaticWorm

PragmaticWorm Member

I feel the same about Christians who don't denounce Westboro Baptist church. Where's the outrage? Where's the Christian voice?

5. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Not being judgemental, but being honest:

Having been assigned to mentor an Arab Moslem foreign army officer, having taken Islamic cultural studies in college and having spent considerable time with Islamic people, the truth is those who don't support the violent side of Islam aren't true Moslems just as 'Progressive' Christians who support gay ministers and abortion aren't true Christians.

The reality is, Islam is a faith dedicated to the destruction of it's enemies and it's enemies are those who aren't Moslems. Convert, Kill or Enslave the Infidels is not only encouraged, it brings one closer to Allah. It's the only currently active major faith found by a warrior who personally killed people and destroyed towns and villages.

So...if Christians ask "What Would Jesus do?" don't Moslems ask "What would Mohammed do?"

Mohammed carried a sword.

Any time someone gives you pap about Islam, and say it's a peaceful faith, remind them of that: Mohammed carried a sword and used it.

They don't know what they're talking about or else, if of the faith, they are following the blessed practice of lying to Infidels to gain advantage.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

THOU SHALT NOT SUFFER A WITCH TO LIVE - Peaceful ... right ;)

just something to think about ...

7. mosquitomountainman

Try to find a Christian who hasn't denounced Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist church!

8. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

umm that is a miss translation, the actual translation is, THOU SHALT NOT SUFFER A PRISONER TO LIVE

King James had a problem with witches and had the scribes put witch instead of prisoner

9. GroovyMike

GroovyMike Well-Known Member

I did not find that in any online version of the Bible I searched including the King James Version. The closest I can find is:

Deuteronomy chapter 18:

9 When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. 10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in [a] the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. 13 You must be blameless before the LORD your God. 14 The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the LORD your God has not permitted you to do so.

What I DID find as instruction for Christians is Romans chapter 12:

17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"[d]says the Lord. 20 On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.

10. GroovyMike

GroovyMike Well-Known Member

What verse(s) are you referring to? I'm assuming that you are attempting to quote teh Bible since you mention King James, but whiel I find many many verses related to the practice of taking prisoners I find no verses advocating the killing of prisoners.

11. The_Blob

The King James Version and Revised English Bible use the term "witch." In North America, the term normally refers to Wiccans -- the followers of the Wiccan religion. According to the Scofield Reference Bible this verse from the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) was written in the year 1491 BCE. This is some 650 years before the origin of the Celtic people circa 850 BCE from whom some elements of Wicca were taken. So Exodus 22:18 can hardly be referring to Wiccans.

12. The_Blob

"THOU SHALT NOT SUFFER A WITCH TO LIVE." This interpretation of Exodus 22:18 provided encouragement to the witchhunters of the Renaissance, and justified their putting to death those they had identified as witches. Tens of thousands of unfortunates who, in some way or other, had earned for themselves the title "witch" had little hope of mercy when faced with the seemingly unambiguous nature of this command.
    Even today, some Christian Fundamentalist zealots invoke the same passage when denouncing what they see as the Satanically-inspired success of the Neo-Pagan Craft. Not surprisingly, modern Witches throw the verse back at them as proof of the extreme and intransigent hatred that monotheists have had, and will always have, for people like themselves.

The problem of Exodus 22:18 is, however, much more complex and interesting. For one thing, the associations of the word "witch" have, as we know, changed over the centuries. To modern Neo-Pagans it has come to mean something like benign, Goddess-worshipping, magic-using healer. But the word acquired this meaning only within the last few decades, and was obviously not the one King James's translators attached to it in 1611. It is absurd to suggest, as some naive Neo-Pagan writers have, that the passage was intended to be understood as "Thou shalt not suffer a benign, Goddess-worshipping, magic-using healer to live."

The use of the word "witch" in this verse is a translation: it is presented -wrongly- as the English-language equivalent of a term from another language, another culture, and another time. What did the term mean in its original context, and what shifts in meaning through both language evolution and successive translations have led to its being understood (or misunderstood) as it is today?

In its original Hebrew text the verse reads: M'khashephah lo tichayyah. Literally this means: "May a m'khashephah not live" or "You will not keep a m'khashephah in life." M'khashephah is the feminine form (although it also has a collective meaning) of a term which can also be used in the masculine m'khasheph). It means someone who practices k'shaphim, a magic characterized by spell-working that aggressively makes changes in the environment.

K'shaphim appears to be derived from a Semitic root K-Sh-P meaning "to cut off" (it may or may not be related to the Akkadian kashshapu and its feminine kashshaptu, terms used in Babylonian culture to denote certain magic-users). Its most important trait is the application of psychic power through directed use of specific words and sounds (i.e. spell-casting), but in a completely private manner, hidden from the rest of the community.

Although it could, in theory, be applied to beneficial as well as harmful ends, the practice of k'shaphim was usually thought of in terms of its destructive possibilities (i.e., the power to cut off life and prosperity), since this was what inspired the most anxiety in society at large: a m' khasheph or m'khashephah could cause illness or barrenness, or even kill, without leaving any traces that would connect them to these actions. The only way to guard against their power was to discover them and neutralize them(which, more often than not, meant killing them).

Paranoia about spell-casters was not confined to ancient Israel, but has been a common trait of rural societies around the globe, including cultures untouched by Biblical monotheism. There is a large body of anthropological literature describing the fear that African and Asian peasants have of secret practitioners of baneful magic, and the often very cruel means that are used to hunt them down. The attitude of the ancient Israelites towards the m'khashephah is, in this regard, completely unremarkable.

yes, there is a reason my friends call me The Iron JEW ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  13. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Ummm, we're getting into some pretty heavy territory here, and that's ok with me. But I have read the Bible and the Koran (yes, it is sometimes spelled Que'ran) and I don't pretend to understand either, unlike what most preachers and Ammans (sp?) will tell you when they are after your $$$.

But IMHO, both documents have been corrupted and polluted over the centuries by those who grasped for power.

An example? King James. The guy was a creep, a perv, a sadist, not to mention an idiot (probably very close to the literal definition). So when he directs his monks to translate the Bible from Old English to New English, you can bet your bippy (an old hippy term ;)) that the monks will opt for pleasing Big Jimmy over being chained to a stake and burned alive.

My point: Both the Bible and Koran should, IMHO, be taken as a whole, not individual sentences. Both can provide an understanding of the the general philosphy of both faiths.

My conclusion: The New Testament Bible overwhelmingly preaches the life philosophy of Jesus: peace and forgiveness to all humanity. The Koran overwhelmingly preaches the life philosophy of Mohammed: peace and forgiveness to all believers, death to all infidels.

What more can I say?

14. mosquitomountainman

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.

15. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

What silliness...right now in the world, the majority of bombings and beheadings is being committed by Islamic fundi terrorists, and someone brings up something about a mention of witches in the King James Bible as being an equiv.

What brilliance!

16. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Long ago when I was a child, an aunt of mine would talk to me about the bible. This is one of the things she told me, that it was not a witch but a prisoner. Since I was a kid I trusted her to tell me the truth. I think that she thought that was the truth. Back then we had no way to look things up we had to rely on people that we trusted. Of corse being a small child I would never question an elder.

I don’t know why she thought that was what it said nor will I speculate. She is dead and there is no way to ask her. Still I am carious as to why she believed it.

Having said all of this and reading your response as I make no excuse for what I said. I was wrong and apologies. I did look it up and it dose say a witch. But the translation is off. It is closer to soccer or sorceress which is a person who causes harm to others through spoken spell.

By the way thanks Blob

17. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

And my point ... look back to history ... When it come to religion ... some one ... some where ... was not happy ... and wanted to do the other side in.

the translation is off... well it is all in the way you look at it ... The burning times, the midwive and the healer ... done in and well ... look at history ... how many was it ... (I don't remember the count) and I should.

Christian Fundamentalist zealots ... ;)

Wiccans and witchcraft two Very differnt things ... Just So you know ...

Wiccan (1960) new - pagan and witchcraft old ...

All I ask of you is to LOOK at history and religion ... it is all there.

18. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Brilliance ... I say HISTORY... take a look ... OR NOT ... It is up to you ...

19. The_Blob

are U 2 going to make out now or what?...

seriously, all ya'all would get along much better if you just converted to Blobism, the reformed AND traditional sects get along swimmingly ;)

20. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

thats right ... just do a lol ... and that makes it alright.:)