PAW Fiction - Stories of the Post-Apocalyptic World CD Now A

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by Jerry D Young, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

Well, I finally did it. After many requests for a CD of my stories, I have arranged to have one produced. All of my stories are included, up to the time of production of the CD.

The stories have been edited and typeset for easy reading. There are a total of 6,377 pages of stories, as well as 6,712 pages of other background information and reference materials. Also included are some of the lists I have posted on the forums in various categories, the Family Readiness Center prep manual I wrote and was edited by a panel of preppers at that site, and Tired Old Man’s Fallout Shelter Stay Calculator Spreadsheet that I mention in several stories. The total page count is over 13,000 pages.

You can find the CD here: PAW Fiction by Jerry D. Young - CD of Complete Works... - eBay (item 170546142052 end time Oct-27-10 18:10:05 PDT)

The cost of the CD is $29.95 plus shipping (between $4.90 and $5.44 depending on where you live in the U.S.). That is about $0.41 per story, on the average, with everything else included for no charge. The CD is professionally produced and manufactured with permanent artwork, so it will last a long time.

The stories will continue to be available for free download at my site as well as the prep sites where I post them.

While some have asked for the CD, some readers have asked me to do a book of the stories. I decided to go with the CD at this time, rather than a printed book, for a variety of reasons.

Getting a book in print by a major publisher is difficult. Publishers want something they are sure will be profitable, with the least amount of work and investment on their part. They want things their way. It just does not work for me.

An alternative, which I have used for two other works, is to self-publish with a Print-on-Demand publisher. I have given this a lot of thought and decided to go with the CD instead.

One reason is the upfront cost. It is a budget killer for me at the moment. Another reason is which stories would I include? Everyone seems to have a different favorite. And a book including all of the stories, even if it could be done, would be an extremely expensive proposition.

Added to the cost of production are the costs to advertise and distribute the books. More out of pocket money.

I also considered putting the stories in e-book format for downloading to computers and electronic book readers. But there are costs to do this, too.

I have been trying to figure out the problem so that costs to everyone would be as low as possible, and trying to accommodate everyone’s wishes at the same time. At $2.99 or more per story in e-book format, versus the $0.41 that each of the stories on the CD costs, I thought it more economical for my readers to get the CD.

When I was contacted by a person in the Prep community who is familiar with my stories, and who wanted to see them made available to all who have asked for CDs or printed copies, I checked out the deal he was offering. We had a long discussion about the best way to go about this. The CD that is now available is the result of those discussions.

Some people wanted CD’s for their use, and others wanted hard copies for various reasons. The CD serves both of these purposes. A person can read it on their computer, or, if a person wants a printed copy, they can print a copy on their home printer, or take the CD to a local copy shop and have a laser-printed copy printed and bound.

Although all of the stories are copyrighted, each CD has a file on it named “Notice to Printers” that authorizes you to have a copy shop make a printed copy for your own use. This notice will generally be sufficient for the copy shops as they watch this kind of thing closely these days.

Getting the stories printed at a copy shop is probably the best way to go. It is less expensive overall, compared to paper and ink costs of doing it at home. Plus laser printing can stand up to the damp and wet where an ink-jet printed copy cannot.

Only the reader’s favorite stories need be printed. And they can be bound together into one book. The small cost of binding the printed material at a professional print shop with acetate covers and coil binding results in a sturdy copy and makes for easy ‘page-turning’. This would make a nice gift for those that you are gently trying to introduce family or friends to prepping.

The additional 6,712 pages of information were selected to provide practical ideas, including, diagrams, plans, load calculations and such…things that would be immediately useful.

There are even a few old classic Civil Defense movies from the 50’s and 60’s including “Duck and Cover” featuring Bert the Turtle.

Sales of the disc are being done on eBay by a seller recommended by the production company. The seller has a 100% rating over the 13 years they have been on eBay. The seller is prepared to ship your purchase immediately by USPS Priority Mail to your address.

For those of you who choose not to use eBay, you can contact me by e-mail and we will make alternate arrangements. You may also contact me by e-mail at [email protected] to discuss any aspect of the purchase of the CD.

All information is held in the strictest confidence and is not used for any other purposes.

Finally, I would like to take a moment and thank some people who have worked on this project.

I would like to thank my editor for his tireless efforts to keep typos out of the works, and make sure things are as clear as possible.

A big thanks goes to ‘Tired Old Man’ for permission to include as a free addition to the CD his Fallout Shelter Stay Time calculator spreadsheet I have referenced in several of my stories.

I would like to thank the production company who took this project on and made it a reality.

And last, but certainly not least, thank you, readers, for giving me an audience to express myself for all these years. Your encouragement has kept me inspired.

Jerry D Young
    October 25, 2010

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

That's awesome!!!

I'll have to put the CD on order! :2thumb: