Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering since most store bought pasta has only a shelf life of about a year does it significantly increase by putting the pasta into buckets with oxygen obsorbers?

·
Sr. Homesteader
437 Posts
We've had it stored for up to 5 years, no problem.

You have to keep it sealed 100% from humidity and moisture. Like in sealed plastic bags BEFORE you put it in buckets.

Oxy absorbers help. Keep it cool and dark.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have had whole wheat pasta all vac-packed go rancid in about 2 years.. So I would only store regular pasta. Eat all the whole wheat up now!

·
Registered
252 Posts
we've had pasta that i vacuum sealed 6 years ago and no off taste.

·
Prepping
158 Posts
I picked up 20 bags of no-name pasta for 12 bucks on sale at our local store. Can't go wrong with pasta. It fills the stomach, and if you have to you can eat it plain.

·
119 Posts
I have an assortment of pastas stored in 5 gal buckets mylar bags and 02 absorbers. Elbow macaroni 20lb, angel hair pasta 24lbs (per bucket). I keep pasta recipes at hand in my binder. It's worth the effort to make your own when your LTS runs out.

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
the STICKY is always a good place to look...

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f36/shelf-life-various-food-items-not-cans-2588/

according to it, macaroni is a 30 year item... now THAT is good to know :D
Yeah, I thought pasta's shelf life was pretty significant (didn't know about wheat pasta, though - good tips). I'm certainly counting on a long shelf life for those buckets in the basement. :D

Lots of times I have to wonder about expiration dates. Seems like some of them are intentionally short - maybe so that people don't store, but rather buy and use, buy and use. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts