Pasta Shelf Life

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Linda61, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Linda61

Linda61 Active Member

I was wondering since most store bought pasta has only a shelf life of about a year does it significantly increase by putting the pasta into buckets with oxygen obsorbers?

2. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

We've had it stored for up to 5 years, no problem.

You have to keep it sealed 100% from humidity and moisture. Like in sealed plastic bags BEFORE you put it in buckets.

Oxy absorbers help. Keep it cool and dark.

3. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I have had whole wheat pasta all vac-packed go rancid in about 2 years.. So I would only store regular pasta. Eat all the whole wheat up now!

4. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

we've had pasta that i vacuum sealed 6 years ago and no off taste.

5. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

I picked up 20 bags of no-name pasta for 12 bucks on sale at our local store. Can't go wrong with pasta. It fills the stomach, and if you have to you can eat it plain.

6. carolexan

carolexan Junior Member

I have an assortment of pastas stored in 5 gal buckets mylar bags and 02 absorbers. Elbow macaroni 20lb, angel hair pasta 24lbs (per bucket). I keep pasta recipes at hand in my binder. It's worth the effort to make your own when your LTS runs out.

7. Linda61

Linda61 Active Member

Thanks

Thanks everyone this is lots of help on many levels

8. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

9. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Yeah, I thought pasta's shelf life was pretty significant (didn't know about wheat pasta, though - good tips). I'm certainly counting on a long shelf life for those buckets in the basement. :D

Lots of times I have to wonder about expiration dates. Seems like some of them are intentionally short - maybe so that people don't store, but rather buy and use, buy and use. ;)