Part of self protection is not being stupid...

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by SurviveNthrive, Oct 24, 2010.

1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Before reading the article below on yet another massacre in Mexico...

Let's see...you live in a city that's a cesspool of violence and corruption, within a country that can't control powerful, murderous drug gangs. You know that if even one person in a gathering is a gang member it's possible that a rival gang will come and try to kill everyone. It happened down the block. It's happened repeatedly. It's happened to many innocent people.

Would your response to the notion of a big party involving young people, just a few blocks from where another party was massacred by automatic weapons recently be:

"Let's throw a party!"

"Yes, my beloved children, you can attend the big party!"

Mexico: 13 Dead in Massacre at Ciudad Juarez Party - FoxNews.com

Wouldn't the appropriate response be to be home, behind locked doors away from others, in another country?

Or if you can't move, simply not to be at any large, festive gatherings?

2. mmszbi

mmszbi Junior Member

How about...."Let's get the hell out of Dodge!"??

3. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Yeah, the problem is it's "Let's jump the border to get away from the violence we spawned here to cause it up there."

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

you forgot to add "that's not how we do it where I am from" :mad:

5. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

I thought the Magnificent Seven already took care of this stuff about three times! :D

6. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Those SOB's know that Steve McQueen, Yul Brener, and Charles Bronson are dead.:(

Who can we send now?

Colin Ferral, Will Smith, and Jack Black?

OK, Jack Black could bring something...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  7. Lonewufcry

Lonewufcry Lonewufcry

its sad when you can't go to a party without bringing your AK and body armor. You know a few tactical bombs would take care of it.

8. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

they're not dead, they're FROZEN :lolsmash:

You know why? Because we got the bombs, that's why!

Two words--nuclear [email protected](<ing weapons, OK? Russia, Germany, Romania - they can have all the democracy they want. They can have a democracy cakewalk right through the middle of Tiananmen Square and it won't make a lick of difference, because we’ve got the bombs, OK? John Wayne's not dead - he's frozen! And when we find a cure for cancer, we're gonna thaw out the Duke and he's gonna be pretty pi$$ed off. You know why? You ever taken a cold shower? Well, multiply that by 15 million times. That's how pi$$ed off the Duke's gonna be.

I'm gonna get the Duke and John Cassavetes and Lee Marvin (Hey) and Sam Peckinpah (Hey) and a case of whisky (Hey) and drive down to Texas (Hey, Hey, Hey)

(Hey you know you really are an a$$hole)
    Why don’t you just shut up and sing the song pal.

9. Atrophy

Atrophy All to Atrophy

Although my first impulse is to say, "in that environment, avoiding violence is most akin to resisting the urge to breathe". On second thought I have to ask... whose idea was that? On a tangent, it reminds me of the DC Sniper situation. I remember a story being run, where the anchor mentioned that police had noted that no headshots had been taken, and their conclusion was that the sniper did not have a professional background. Several days later he killed a walking couple with consecutive headshots. There's a definite difference between trying to carry on as usual, and asking for something bad to happen.

(For anyone who might misunderstand, I mean that the news report struck at the snipers' pride. I don't blame the couple.)

10. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

At this point, in Juarez, and in different border towns, there's some common sense lacking as well as so much unmerited violence it's sickening.

Not too many months back two couples, I believe, in California, decided to go party in TJ or another border town. They found all four of their bodies in a van. TJ and Juarez have always been cesspools. When I went through OBC and the Weapons Track at Ft. Bliss, many years ago, as a geographic bachelor, I went with other young, healthy, commissioned officers and found areas to avoid, and we always stuck together. I marveled at the stupidity of coeds who'd get drunk and often pass out, and find themselves, molested, purses missing and urinated upon and the fools who brought women with them. That was over twenty years ago!

Heck, around that time the only real thing to worry about was bribing the corrupt police, and avoiding that Matamoros gang that did human sacrifices! They didn't have discoveries of 19 bodies, discoveries of beheadings, and drive bys with M4's and SAW's on parties packed with people back then.

I remember at another website, an American expat who moved to Mexico because of his anger at Bush and the War in Iraq kept going on about how the media overplayed it and it wasn't like that, yes there were armed gangs, and all, but he didn't feel threatened until a huge gun battle erupted near his home.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010