Prepared Society Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Not so new
581 Posts
Taught my 5 year old granddaughter a little lesson.Mom doesn't spank very much...but grandma don't put up with smart mouths,slammed doors or drama Queens. I am the boss and the biggest badest drama Queen around and what I say still goes!

·
59 Posts
I never raised kids but am a former teacher and took child psych with a focus on disabilities in children as part of my lessons. Kids are awesome, fun, chaotic and challenging, that is for sure. I taught 3-4 year olds in my classroom but also worked with 6 months-2 yrs and the school agers while helping out in other classrooms. Kids are incredibly intelligent and I agree with the above, having them help out as soon as they can will instill in them a set of core values that is priceless. Yes, at times it is more challenging to have them do it than if you did it yourself and they won't always do it "right". It isn't about that though. It's about getting them used to helping around the house and having responsibilities. As they get older it won't be such a challenge in getting them to do chores cause it won't be a foreign concept.

I know for me personally growing up I had to be an adult a lot sooner than a child should. My mother was an alcoholic and was often out all weekend than would come home with a hang over and sleep for days. She lost jobs a lot so food being on the table was a not sure thing. I learned the hard way that if I wanna eat I need to cook for myself. I pretty much raised myself and learned everything from asking other people like my friends parents. I started working a month or so after my 16th birthday and was working full time despite it being against the law. I was unaware of laws at the time and I wanted as many hours as I could have. I had moved out of my mothers by then and was living with my now ex. I was buying all my own food, supplies etc so learned early on how to be frugal and penny pinch. All of my friends in high school thought I was nuts cause I was the only one sitting in class clipping coupons. By the time I graduated high school I had a full time job as well as a part time. Worked non stop until a few years after being diagnosed with most of my debilitating conditions and they were taking their toll on me. I was losing ability to walk, sit etc. It was hard to have to quit working and it is still hard on me to this day. What I learned is still there. I am lucky now though and I have an amazing man in my life who shows me every day that he values me as a person and that I can help, even though I can't work. We live off of one job's income and we are doing great due to my ability to be so frugal. So yay for that one!

·
883 Posts
Lots of sound advice here. Societal times sure have changed haven’t they for the most part? I feel sorry for kids today whose parents don’t have the substance of character to teach them sound foundational work ethics and values that prepare them to be really productive, hard working, happy and fulfilled individuals. And so the cycle continues :(

I’m the eldest daughter (third eldest) in a family of fourteen sibs so I learned real early on how to do a multitude of tasks and jobs that lent itself to some good work ethics and skill sets. Created my own job at age 12 (besides babysitting) by offering my services gratis for the day to the business across the way and succeeded in convincing them I was indeed an asset worth the wage (25cents an hour).

Family and friends would marvel at how my children (five of them) would come in the door from school, park their bags and go straight to their chores without any prompting. They’d finish their chores, do their homework, and off to play. It was just a part of their daily routine since they were toddlers, so no big deal. They are all productive thriving individuals with great careers and their children are reaping the rewards of having those good values and work ethics imparted to them - and so seeds are sown for generations to come:)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts