Prepared Society Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have something very similar to that for my rolling shelves. Its great cause you can put the shelves where you need them. The shelving themselves hold a lot of weight with no problem. We also have them in the deli I work. Have about 400 lbs worth of meat and cheeses on multiple shelves and the store has been open for about 14 years now, using the original shelving. At home, I put the bulkier items on those types, like my five gallon buckets, oils, coffee cans, ect.

·
160 Posts
We have the commercial wire shelving (from restaurant surplus) in the garage and in my shop. It is six feet high and 5 feet wide with 24 inch deep shelves. I will be adding the wall mounted racks and 20 inch deep wood shelves for more adjustable shelves like we have in the pantry and spare bedroom. I heat and cool both the garage and shop so we don't worry about freezing or high temps in the summer.
I don't live in earthquake country any more but everything taller than 3 feet gets anchored to the walls. Habits like that are hard to break.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys,

Due to some remodeling, I now have a room that we can dedicate as a pantry. It'll mostly be food but will also have hygiene stuff, first aid supplies, etc..

It is just off the kitchen and is 11' long and 7-1/2' wide with about 9' ceilings. I know what supplies to store and how to make them last.

But...any tips on the pantry itself? Go with deep shelves? Shallow? Wood, adjustable, etc... Wish you would have put in X or definitely didn't need Y?

Anything you have learned from experience? The internet is mostly full of pinteresty ideas of frilly stuff. I've got a family of 6 I want to be able to take care of, I'm not worried about the latest "in" colors haha.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I couldn't post from my iPhone app which gave me an XML error.
Put a dehumidification device in place.

·
Registered
726 Posts
one square foot of shelf will hold nine quart jars. That said, my last serious store room was in an unheated root cellar, very damp. I used Wal-Mart plastic shelves, the 4-high Plano ones (wanted to avoid rusting metal shelves or molding wood ones. They worked like a champ, and each shelf held one case (12 cans) of canned food, which I got from the local canning company for $6 a case. Rotation was simple, I just wrote on each cardboard box what was inside, and when it was put in. Rust on cans (under humid conditions) controlled by a light coat of mineral oil. All I can say was with the mineral oil (just enough to show a fingerprint when cans were handled) is that canned goods remained good to eat 6 years, without it they rusted in three years. The plastic shelves were cheap, readily available when I needed more, and I am still using them after 12 years. They also come apart for easy transportation and storage. For taller items, I put them on the top shelves. Dry goods were stored in mylar with oxy absorbers, in pails. Since the temp of the storeroom, even outdoors and unheated, hovered between 48 and 58 degrees at all times (I know because I had a hi-low thermometer and checked it) even when summer temps were 100 degrees and winters were -20 degrees. I sure miss that root cellar! Thinking of putting one in where I live now, even if I have to hand dig the darn thing. Oh yes, I use those plastic shelves in my current pantry/store room. (Since they are in the dark, the issue of the plastic degrading due to UV exposure is moot.) It's kinda small (10 x 10), but I love it just the same.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not picking on your spotless storage room but just the kind of pic I've been looking for,anyone that stores stuff in glass needs to ask their self what's going to happen if the ground ever shakes real hard for any reason ??
I have my glass jars in low cardboard boxes- the kind the jars come in when you buy them (or cut some down. Then I cut pieces of cardboard and slip them between the jars to act as dividers so that they don't rattle against each other if there's a big shake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Living in quake prone land we have our home canned jars only one one jar high with a wide adjustable front wood bar to keep the jars from being shaken out in a quake. We have cardboard dividers between rows of jars or we heed the jars in the original boxes with card board dividers. The shelves are bolted to the wall studs. We take the rings off the jars since it makes it easier to check if a lid has failed. The lowest shelf is five gallon bucket height, then two two shelves of jars, the one to two shelves of lighter weight products in totes and bins. We rotate food stuff with newest purchased in the back of shelves.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Guys,

Due to some remodeling, I now have a room that we can dedicate as a pantry. It'll mostly be food but will also have hygiene stuff, first aid supplies, etc..

It is just off the kitchen and is 11' long and 7-1/2' wide with about 9' ceilings. I know what supplies to store and how to make them last.

But...any tips on the pantry itself? Go with deep shelves? Shallow? Wood, adjustable, etc... Wish you would have put in X or definitely didn't need Y?

Anything you have learned from experience? The internet is mostly full of pinteresty ideas of frilly stuff. I've got a family of 6 I want to be able to take care of, I'm not worried about the latest "in" colors haha.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I couldn't post from my iPhone app which gave me an XML error.
If you have the room, put a 2 sided shelf in the middle of the room... made good use of empty space

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I am too sick to cook, there are canned goods in the pantry. When there is a wonderful sale on groceries, there is the pantry too hold it all. When the weather outside is horrible, I do not have to go out because there is the pantry. And, when I am feeling lazy and do not want to cook, there is the pantry!

Having a pantry saves me a lot of money and time and effort!

The pantry foods that we like best are canned roast beef in gravy, rice, spagetti (both sauce and noodles), olives, dehydrated soup mix (I get Bear Creek soup mix at the grocery store), string beans, chili, and cream of mushroom soup.

I also have extra things like oil and soy sauce and ketsup and so forth and so on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I am too sick to cook, there are canned goods in the pantry. When there is a wonderful sale on groceries, there is the pantry too hold it all. When the weather outside is horrible, I do not have to go out because there is the pantry. And, when I am feeling lazy and do not want to cook, there is the pantry!

Having a pantry saves me a lot of money and time and effort!

The pantry foods that we like best are canned roast beef in gravy, rice, spagetti (both sauce and noodles), olives, dehydrated soup mix (I get Bear Creek soup mix at the grocery store), string beans, chili, and cream of mushroom soup.
I also have extra things like oil and soy sauce and ketsup and so forth and so on.
no response

7 Posts
Any thoughts on what we should start carrying? We sell basically everything you'd find in your pantry (though we are 100% plant-based so not the meats or dairy products). We also sell buckets and other food storage things, but I'm wondering if we should update our product line with a food better storage options. Let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks

21 - 32 of 32 Posts