Pantothenic Acid

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine' started by TechAdmin, Jul 22, 2011.

1. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I was at a herbalist yesterday and had a headache due to sinus inflamtion. They recommended Pantothenic acid. Anyone know anything about it?

2. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Definition
    Pantothenic acid and biotin are types of B vitamins. They are water-soluble, which means that the body can't store them. If the body can't use all of the vitamin, the extra leaves the body through the urine. Therefore, these vitamins must be replaced every day.

Alternative Names
    Biotin; Vitamin B5; B5 vitamin

Function
    Pantothenic acid and biotin are essential to growth. They help the body break down and use food. This is called metabolism.

Pathothenic acid is also called vitamin B5. It helps break down carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Biotin also helps break down proteins and carbohydrates.

Food Sources
    Pantothenic acid and biotin are found in foods that are good sources of B vitamins, including the following:
    •Eggs
    •Fish
    •Milk and milk products
    •Whole-grain cereals
    •Legumes
    •Yeast
    •Broccoli and other vegetables in the cabbage family
    •White and sweet potatoes
    •Lean beef

Side Effects
    There are no known deficiencies of either pantothenic acid or biotin. Large doses of pantothenic acid do not produce symptoms other than (possibly) diarrhea. There are no known toxic symptoms associated with biotin
    (I was just curious..had never heard this term; from the sources listed?? I'm covered)

3. TechAdmin

I meant specifically in it's use and whether it works.

4. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

Haven't tried Pantothenic acid but I have severe nasal problems and use a Neti Pot. Neti Pot :D

5. JustCliff

JustCliff Supporting Member

I have server sinus problems. I also use a netti pot. I do use a coule drops of food grade Hydrogen peroxide in mine. It helps out a lot

6. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Maybe Dan1966 will find this thread. He's a doctor, and I've been following his posts on other threads. Or you could send him a PM (personal message).

7. Dan1966

Dan1966 Survival Doc

From my experience deficiencies of B5 are almost impossible due to the ubiquitous nature of B5 in our diet. I have seen some benefit to nail and hair growth and health in higher doses but have not seen anything in the literature on sinus inflammation. The herb that I have used and recommended in the past for sinus, seasonal allergy, and even migraines is Petasin. It's like the herbal allegra.
    Petasin is found in the herb Butterbur, the brand I use is Petadolex.

8. TechAdmin

I own stock in Neilmed, at least I should. I use it t least once a day.

I was told antihistamines don't allow me to work out the mucus from the back sinuses. I just went off antibiotics not to long ago and don't want to start again.

I'll give it a try.

9. Idaholady

Idaholady Member

I've been doing research about asthma and one article said those who have asthma are often deficient in pantothenic acid. I've become lactose intolerant, so I know there is a tie in with digestive enzymes and pantothenic acid.

10. TechAdmin

Do you also have asthma?

11. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I have quite a few doses of Petadolex stored and some frozen(got it on sale) and it is the only thing I can use to get rid of migraines-I mean I can take it after I get the auras and the pain has already started and within in about an hour it will decrease and within 4 and the next dose it goes away with only a tad bit of light sensitivities. anyone who gets migraine should at least try it- I have a cousin who gets severe migraines and I talked her into trying a small dose everyday and it has helped keep her from getting her usually 4 migraines a month-sure she still gets one here and there but not like she used to... she even got the rolly eyeball type migraines-no pain but faint and her eyes moved independently of each other. While her Doc had not heard of it he didn't think it would hurt any and found that it has been used in the UK and EU for many years.
    But some people do get hayfever type reactions to it but like anything, some people can use it and some will not be able... I'd love to be able to grow it locally, cuz when my stash runs out it will be damn expensive to buy more. :dunno:

12. TechAdmin

I'll get some and give it a try, I get headaches as well.

13. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Don't tell but it works pretty damn good on a hangover too! :sssh: I don't over do often but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see and it works pretty good,, The one I have tho makes your tinkle neon yellow!:eek: lol:D

14. Idaholady

Idaholady Member

Since I have asthma, I'm going to make sure my vitamins contains some pantothenic acid....

15. TechAdmin

I'm not a drinker thankfully, I always hated the hangover.

It's a good idea.

I've been taking it in it's minimal dose for a week now and have not had any significant reduction in my headaches.

16. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

has anyone heard of a 'hangover cure' that didn't also involve 'two large glasses of water'? :hmmm:

I know, that was as subtle as a brick :rolleyes:

17. Dan1966

Dan1966 Survival Doc

Austin, I always tell my patients to take it regularly for one month (Petadolex) before they assess the results. I have found for migraine sufferers it seems to take a couple of weeks of daily use to build up in the system.

18. TechAdmin

I will do that.

I'm still taking the Pantothenic for that reason. I'm going to give it 2 full weeks.

19. TechAdmin

I officially give up on Pantothenic Acid. Two weeks and I'm still having headaches.

I'm on to Petadolex.

20. grayfox114

grayfox114 Member

Austin: Re your heartburn/acid stomach/stomach problems: First, throw the meds/Prilosec away! They may cure the problem temporarily, but they require constant use, as designed! The mfgr doesn't want a one time cure, no money in it!Lots of water is gtreat, the real and inexpensive "cure" is a tblspoon of white vinegar as needed when the problem arises. Chase it with orange or other juice if the taste gags you. It works!!!! And a shot of apple cider vinegar in the am, chased if needed, works all kinds of wonders, like blood sugar, asthma relief, and, honest, vision therapy. Try it, it's a cheap cure that works! Let me and everyone else know how it works for you...