pandemic flu,

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by bolder, Apr 12, 2010.

1. bolder

bolder Member

i personally think the next 1 will be a lot worse, because it took them ages to create a vaccine for the last 1, so when that no longer works i think it will be alot harder to make a new 1. how bad do you think it will be? and is it something you are prepping for?

2. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

flu prepping is similar to other prepping, stock up on antibiotics (keep fresh of course), limit outside contact, never give up hope!

3. bolder

bolder Member

what if your broad band antibiotics dosnt do anything, which if there struggling to make a vaccine they wont do much, do you think the next pandemic will be worse?

4. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

It is still a very real threat but most folk's just forget about it till next fall and winter season. It is a good idea to be ready any time of the year, cause i think it will not be nature but man doing the natural selection with the next real bad bug. Way to easy for someone to whip up a mess of nasty little critter's and turn them loose. Better yet they will go buy a batch off someone, most likely. You all are right, keep watch and wait. It will get here soon enough. Be safe.

5. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

fear solves nothing, if it's your time to go no amount of prepping will save you.

I think kyfarmer is on to something, as biological and chemical warfare are REALLY bad (like wipe out human race bad) and control on these things is limited at best.

There's only so much you can do, and once you realize no one gets out of this game alive it makes the end less scary. Keep prepping and as always be (as) prepared (as one can be?).

6. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Herbs, essential oils, colloidal silver, vitamin c powder, garlic, onions ....
    couldn't hurt to have on hand.

7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

The last one was "bad" according to the WHO (World Health Organization) and yet I didn't even get anything close to a cold this winter ...

There is a product created in Edmonton called ColdFX that I took daily this winter, combined with a Vit-C pill and a Vit-B pill and a fish-oil pill each morning. If I felt the hint of a tickle in my throat, I would take a sip of Jager (German cough syrup) several times in the day.

I have never felt better in winter!!!

8. jebrown

jebrown jebrown

The lag for vaccines are due to the fact that the government gets what they need first and we and we get what is left over.
    Antibiotics need to be specefic to the infection. Antibiotics work on certain infections but not others. Antibiotics do not work against viruses so taking them for the flu does not work. Vitamin C does not prevent colds or flu. Taking it ahead of an infection does nothing. Taking vitamin C after symptoms are pressent will aid in relieving discomfort from the virus and it will help in getting rid of viruses.

Jerry

9. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

They have a high success rate in predicting flue & developing vaccines

IMO...the one that will get people will be a new strain that spreads fast perhaps from the Congo or Amazon maybe it's been around for a Milena just waiting for us or it's a final mutation/ evolution. Perhaps it's in a American, Russian, Israeli, bio lab waiting for some crazy idealistic nut to give it freedom.

Regardless, when/if it happens your best bet is to hunker down and quarantine yourself from people.

10. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

I read about some grave diggers during the black plague who used herbs to keep from getting it. The Four Thieves oil.

11. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

One reason antibitics are prescribed for viral infections is the belief that the antibiotics will help your body to fight any other "problems" so that your immune system will have more resources to fight the viral infection.

12. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

Antibiotics kill the good bacteria too... referred to as Human flora and increase to possibility of post antibiotic infections it's believed some cancers,

The average person has somewhere between 300 and 1000 different species of bacteria that live in the digestive tract alone. These bacteria aid in digestion of food, make it harder for bad bacteria to grow, break down foods, aid in the release of nutrients, produce certain types of vitamins such as biotin and vitamin K

13. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Jagermeister as cough syrup?

14. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

Yep, Jager was/ is originally a health tonic

15. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

OMG, no more Jager for me, last time was a disaster, please do not ask for details, could not find my legs the next day, have not had any since.:(

16. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Yes - believe it or not you can still purchase it right beside other cough syrups in Germany. It has become my "sipping" drink of choice - straight-up right out of the freezer in tiny 1 1/2 shot-sized stemmed glasses (also stored in my freezer - well - most of the time).

Again, if I feel the hint of a tickle in my throat (any time of day or night) I will sip a little (maybe 1/2 shot worth) once every two hours allowing the liquid to slowly flow down my throat (do not shoot it) and I will normally have one of my stemmed glasses with supper.

17. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Kogneto, I'd have to respectfully disagree. We are probably ALL on this site because of fear, awareness, concern, worry -- call it whatever you want. But we CAN prepare for things like the flu. We can start by googleing the Spanish Flu of 1918 just to see how bad it could get. There is absolutely no reason why it cannot happen again. If you ask docs, most will say it is not a matter of if........but when. This year? Next? 20 years? 30? When the Spanish Flu's brother returns, absolute disaster will result.

Can we preppers prepare? You betcha we can. Can most of us and our families get through it? I am convinced we will, if we are smart -- if we prepare.