pallet gardening?

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by The_Blob, Nov 21, 2011.

1. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

2. SageAdvicefarmgirl

SageAdvicefarmgirl Well-Known Member

Interesting! Just goes to show that Nobody has an excuse NOT to garden!:2thumb:

3. siletz

siletz Member

Wow! I would never have thought of such a thing! Thanks for sharing.

4. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Interesting concept, but, I have one major problem with plants growing that close to the house - the moisture can cause rotting of your house and the plants don't care where they go - into the siding and everywhere ...

My mom had a potted-plant in the house that grew into the wall (she "trained the vine along the wall) ... that was a mess to fix up - a whole section of the wall needed to be removed and the dry-wall replaced :gaah:

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I would think the pallet would make a better herb garden than anything, or for easy to grow high yield plants like tomatos... using it as a trellis is interesting, maybe place it away from the house/apartment -- perhaps along a balcony rail if on a higher than ground level floor. :dunno:

maybe even the external walls of a rabbit hutch (leafy greens) or chicken coop, you'd have a place to put manure readily enough :eek:

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I would consider placing 5 or 6 pallets in a "circle" supporting one-another and building the garden in it before screwing the pallets to the wall of my house, garage or shed .. anything that could / would encourage mouse or bug infestations inside my buildings or encourage growth of mold or other undesirables is not in my best interest ...

7. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

I wouldn't attach it to my house (or outbuildings) either. But I could see making a pallet composter and utilizing this planting concept that way. I think all the pallet composters I've seen have the pallet boards running vertically, but that could be altered.

Here's an example of a composter: Digitalseed: Wooden Pallet Bin

Oh wait, here's an example with the slats running horizontally: Used Wooden Pallets or Skids: Making Free, Easy Compost Bins

You could also combine pallets to make a wall around a patio (maybe saw them in half to make a short wall) - that would be a good location for an herb garden...

8. kejmack

kejmack Texas!!!

No way I would attach that to my house! Surest way I know to introduce TERMITES!!!

9. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

Guess I don't get it. How do you keep the dirt from falling out between the slats in front?

10. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

i use pallets for a compost bin. they work real good. I make three sides then the fourth i attach hinges and a hook so i can open it up and get the compost out easier. I then painted the pallets with white paint so it looked like a small barnyard thing. lol rather cute. Also I planted flowers along the top of the pallet spaces with trailing flowers like nasturtiums, morning glories and also some herbs.
    worked real good.
    but now that we moved i have to redo that. anyway, i would never put those pallets along the house. that's inviting problems.

11. Roadtripchick

Roadtripchick New Member

Question

I just went dumpster diving for some pallets and my co-worker had a coniption telling me that they are pressure treated and that you shouldnt use them with ediles. But Ive read about people using them. What do you all think? I'm trying to make my garden as eco friendly and recycling as much of the things I need for it but I don't want it to kill me!! :surrender:

12. on_the_rox

on_the_rox Active Member

Most of the pallets I see are made up of regular lumber. I suppose there are some out there composed of treated, but I have not seen them. I would feel very safe using the untreated ones around food.

13. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

I could see that workin ifin ya lived in a apartment. Up against the rails of a balconey.

Be carefull bout used pallets, some a them have had perty nastey chemicals stored on em. I'd take any of em I was gonna use fer a food use ta the carwash an blast em real good as a extra safety measure. Don't see many treated ones round these parts.

14. PackerBacker

PackerBacker ExCommunicated

Looks like a good way to make gardening way more complicated than it needs to be.

15. Davarm

Davarm Texan

Well, if you had more vertical space than horizontal, could have its advantages.

16. eddy_dvyvan

eddy_dvyvan Well-Known Member

In australia 95% of the pallets are treated pine so arnt the best idea to use in the garden. The ones that arnt are hardwood and alot heavier.

17. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Any pallet that goes through customs has been treated, either by heat treatment or fumigation, and will have a stamp certifying this, part of the Wood Packaging Materials guidelines of International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC). Purpose is to keep soil contamination and wood boring critters from crossing borders.

Pretty sure one of the latest Tylenol recalls was because of a musty odor that made people sick, wasn't it traced back to one of the chemicals used to treat pallets?... back in 2010 or so.