Pa. school district turns lawn care over to sheep

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by *Andi, Jun 13, 2011.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Very cool :D But I can see some folks not being happy about this ...

A central Pennsylvania school has a woolly plan to keep its grass neatly trimmed.

The Carlisle Area School District says it can save up to $15,000 a year by turning over some landscaping chores to sheep.

The Patriot-News of Harrisburg reports the district is using the sheep to keep the grass near its solar panels neatly trimmed. The sheep nibble grass in the morning and take refuge in the shade of the panels in the afternoon.

With the food already on hand, the district need only supply the sheep with water.

A middle school assistant principal is providing the sheep. Eric Sands says he's still trying to figure out exactly how many sheep he needs to use to keep the area clear.

Pa. school district turns lawn care over to sheep - Yahoo! News

2. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Brilliant
    One of the local governments in Tennessee recently did a test using goats to control the out of control kudzu. Initial test went well, but haven't heard if they plan on doing it long term or not.

3. Ezmerelda

Ezmerelda Well-Known Member

I was just wondering the other day if goats would eat that stuff. Question answered. Gotta love this forum! :D

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

people can eat it too

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I guess it depends on if he's worried about overgrazing or not, but here in Ohio we calculate 4 acres per grazing cow sustainably & we figure 1 cow eats as much as 6 sheep. Even then, you still have to move them around to new areas otherwise the stupid critters will overgraze parts while leaving other parts untouched, especially if there are different grases (sheep do not like bluegrass as much as forbs, also some fescues may cause abortions). Mostly sheep eat grass, clover (not too much, or they get bloated), forbs, and other pasture plants. They especially love forbs. It is usually their first choice of food in a pasture. A forb is a broad-leaf plant other than grass. It is a flowering plant. Forbs are often very nutritious. As compared to cattle, sheep eat a greater variety of plants and select a more nutritious diet, but less so than goats.

6. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

For a second there I could picture 80% of the nation grazing at the school.

Good idea.I hear sheep ulike goats won't destroy the pasture or lawn.

7. Davo45

Davo45 New here

Makes sense to me, the kids could learn to sheer the wool from the critters too (after some instruction with supervision of course).

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

That's an excellent idea, but in this day and age it's just going to take one idiot getting hit by an electric fence and the whole thing will be off. And that's a shame because it really is such a great idea.

9. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

LOL,here comes the judge.:p

10. philjam

philjam Well-Known Member

And, what about the first time a coyote leaves a bloody carcass for the sensitive kiddies?:eek: