Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my oxygen obsorbers, and no instructions were included, I used them years ago, but now forget (getting older ya know). They game shrink wrapped , do I have to use them all immediately, or do they last for awhile? Also how many cc's do you need in a 5 lb bucket, say of pastas.

·
119 Posts
Linda your 02 absorbers need to be kept air-tight. When you open the pack take out what you need and seal them back up..they will keep forever. In my 5gal LTS buckets I was 3 to 4, 500cc absorbers. There are somethings I dont use the 02's in like salt and sugar. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just received my oxygen obsorbers, and no instructions were included, I used them years ago, but now forget (getting older ya know). They game shrink wrapped , do I have to use them all immediately, or do they last for awhile? Also how many cc's do you need in a 5 lb bucket, say of pastas.
I reseal the new and used ones back up with the food savor.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
I saw someone use a Food Saver vacuum sealer to seal up the unused ones, but kept a couple out of the package for an additional step. The vacuum 'Food-saved' package was placed inside a small mylar bag with the O2 absorbers and heat sealed in case the vacuum seal package lost seal.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I saw someone use a Food Saver vacuum sealer to seal up the unused ones, but kept a couple out of the package for an additional step. The vacuum 'Food-saved' package was placed inside a small mylar bag with the O2 absorbers and heat sealed in case the vacuum seal package lost seal.
This was the design plan detail instruction from the Department of Redundancy Department. Seriously, if you're using more to keep the material than the material is worth (assuming replacement can be had) it hardly seems worth it. I can see sealing it once, but I'd just get backup in factory packaging now while I can rather than double bag it IMO

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
I shove as many as I can into a small mason jar. I also like using hand warmers. They come one or two in a pack so they're great for doing just one bucket at a time. This time of year you might find them real cheap in the clearance isle.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
This was the design plan detail instruction from the Department of Redundancy Department. Seriously, if you're using more to keep the material than the material is worth (assuming replacement can be had) it hardly seems worth it. I can see sealing it once, but I'd just get backup in factory packaging now while I can rather than double bag it IMO
Except you aren't using more to keep a little. The only thing you're wasting is (2) O2s. Everything else is reusable. It's insurance. Waste not, want not. Haste makes waste. A bird in the hand...
If a thin little food saver bag isn't sealed well, you just lost your O2s and you're into that stored factory package before you wanted. A bad time to find out is when you're ready to use them.
I've seen seals on Mylar lose contain. Cut the corner, throw in some O2 absorbers and reseal.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Admittedly, I don't know the relative costs of the mylar bags, foodsaver bags and O2 absorbers involved. Just suggesting that, in some cases, while it may be possible to save something, but not practical/practicable. Why do eggs come packed in paper crates when they break so easily? Because they're just so easy to replace. Each situation is different, your milage may vary, void where prohibited.

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
I don't worry too much about the cost of the vac bags or mylar bags. They can last a long time. If you need to open a bag of rice, just cut right below the seal, empty the bag, refill with fresh stock and reseal. Nothing wrong with the bag, it's just an inch shorter.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
And when those bags get to be really long and skinny rectangles you seal both long ends and then fill thru the cut skinny end and refill and seal a couple more times till there ain't any left! At least that is what we do here! The really small bags do well for vac-packing a small pack of matches and a bit of tinder or even a small pack of dental floss with a couple of fish hooks and a few sinkers. They don't get wet and are small and handy to stow in coat pockets and purses and even in the cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts