Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old tractors need care, later this fall / winter I will post the process of curing (or the attempt thereof) compression in the cooling of a "ran when parked" 8N Ford, until then here is a link to UncleJoe's 2N thread, the 2N is the model previous to the 8N. http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f21/new-me-2n-21127/index2.html. note the FEL on Joe's tractor, it is light weight, compared to what else was offered by the aftermarket.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You are right about maintenance needs on older iron. I had multi repairs I had to do this year. New battery, fan belt ( my d Duetz is air cooled), fuel line had broke down. You always need new fuel and air filters. Grease fittings, etc.

·
869 Posts
The thing that kills me is the number of people out there trying to buy yard art like they are on American Pickers. I have seen them drive up the price of an old Massey Ferguson beyond a new one. The electronics on the new ones drive me crazy. It is nice to have AC and all the power stuff but truth is it is a problem waiting to happen.

I have a friend who bought a used tractor made in India (Mahindra). Try to get parts for that baby.

As for maintenance, you had better carry a grease gun with you if you have some of the old stock. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
You are right about maintenance needs on older iron. I had multi repairs I had to do this year. New battery, fan belt ( my d Duetz is air cooled), fuel line had broke down. You always need new fuel and air filters. Grease fittings, etc.
They sure kept the older Deutz nice and simple, especially with the air cooling.

My attitude over the years with older machines has developed into; if a part involved rubber, and hasn't been replaced recently, just do it now. At the very least pick up the parts when you have a chance.

Many times we tried replacing one hose here, one hose there, one front tire, etc. If the tractor is purely a hobby, that might be fine but if you actually want the tractor to be reliable to actually do something it is much more efficient to just bite the bullet on these things imo.

On another topic, the fact that many older tractors had oil bath air cleaners is a plus imo, for a shtf scenario, one less part you need to stock in quantity and there is a lot of tolerance on the type of oil used.

GrinnanBarrett, the worst thing with the really new machines is that often if the AC isn't working the cab is practically unbearable. A lot of older machines had cabs that were quite decent even without AC (at least in our temps) but the new ones are just bad.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You are right about changing out the rubber. Mine has 1 good rear and 1 good front tire. Need to break down and change the others.
The Duetz is a pretty simple tractor and they do just keep on working.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cowboyhermit brings up a very valid point about replacing soft parts sooner rather than later, hoses AND clamps are pretty cheap compared to the headaches their failure can cause. I have been witness to tightwads putting old hoses and belts on back engines after having them off to change a water pump, only to have them fail and cause major damage, yep just saved a pile of cash there didn't you. Saw the same tight wad get angry when he saw me putting new hoses and clamps on an oil cooler I was changing out for someone else.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have found out error the years both doing my own maintenance and doing maintenance in industry, it never pays to try and heap out and repairs. At a minimum your wasting time doing stuff over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts