owls

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Jason, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

We have 2 great horned owls that have been hanging around the farm here for most of the summer. They kind of screech rather than hoot so it took a while to find out what they were. We've seen them many times and when they are on one of the trees by the house or on top of the silo (a favorite roost) we watch them with a spotlight and spotting scope.

I've never seen great horned owls up close in their natural environment before. They are majestic, graceful birds yet at the same time deadly predators. I hear one as I'm typing this.

Very, very cool birds.

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

VERY cool indeed :2thumb:

3. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

If you get a chance take a pic and post it. I'd love to see one of your owls.

4. Jason

We are trying to get a pic. Will post it if we get one.

5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I have been watching owls around here as well. I have noticed a rise in the predator-fowl - hawks, eagles and owls around here. Just a few years ago I would rarely see any of the predators and now it is becoming fairly common to see different ones several times a week. I think it is wonderful!

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I JUST watched a brown eagle swoop down on a rabbit out my back window & before I couold get my phone out to snap a pic he was gone because my idiot-chihuahuas ran out at it... I was kind of scared for them because they are about the same size as the rabbit, (even if they THINK they weigh 200 lbs. !) so I made them come in for an hour. I then threw the rabbit up into a tree so that it would hopefully lessen the chance of a confrontation. :ignore:

7. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

Back in the late 70's my wife and I were living in the mountains 30 miles due west of Denver city limits and we had a great horned owl that looked like a chimeny when it was on the peak of the neighbor roof. One night I went outside and heard what sounded like something tearing flesh apart, went back in and got a flashlight and watched that owl tearing a gopher to pieces on top of a power pole. That gave me a lot of respect for owls.

8. Jason

Around here we have the owls and a few types of hawk, mostly redtail. Redtail hawks will circle above you while you are mowing or raking a hay field and wait for the fieldmice/moles/whatever to scatter.

My wife and her dad are avid duck hunters, so of course when I entered the equasion I followed suit. We go up to Pymatuning every October and usually a few other times throughout the year. I saw my first wild bald eagles up there, along with what we later found out was a Northern Harrier.

9. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

This post reminded of my scouting days, I was in the Bubo Patrol. (Great Horned Owl):)

10. Fn/Form

Fn/Form Function over Form

Owls are my fav birds. As a kid, one of my fav places to visit on our property was the spot a barn owl would cast pellets.

At 14 I began tractor mowing by myself. Like Jason said, I'd love to see the red tailed and red shouldered hawks hunting the field rodents in my wake. Sometimes a barn owl or great horned owl would arrive at dusk. Quite a treat.

11. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

We have a lot of Barred owls here, along with screech and Great Horned in the more rural areas. We saw some of the barred owls hunting at dusk in the local park. Beautiful yet terrifying! They will mimic the animals they hunt, making all kinds of screeches and weird sounds. My 3 year old was very scared of them.

12. james_black

james_black Active Member

i love owls too

Me and my wife volunteer to monitor burrowing owls in Las Vegas Nv when we used to lived there. We did it for 2yrs. Owls are very impresive and smart birds. We loved to see them and their offsprings.

13. Jason

We had a different one last night. The other ones kind of screeched, which our bird guide said Great Horned Owls will do. The one last night was right outside the house on a pole maybe 20 yards from our bedroom window, hooting in more typical great horned owl fashion. Having seen what we believe are at least 3 seperate of the same type of owl (two at one time but never all 3 together), we have confirmed that they are great horned owls We base this on our bird guide book and internet searches. It was raining a bit so we couldn't get a pic, but we tried. I got to see it dive from the pole and attack something small, flopping all over the ground, then sitting still while it ate. Awesome site to get to see.

14. james_black

james_black Active Member

Jason..

My wife saw 2 of them yesterday for the first time. She took me to see them. Impressive!!! Not only that yesterday she saw them with the local Audoborn Society and they told her they were only two in the area. We spotted a 3rd maybe 100 feet away from the couple. He was a single male. We even took a picture so she can show it. This owls, compared to the burrowing owls, are very relaxed. We were pretty close to them and they didn't fly away. I was very excited to look at them since I find owls majestic birds.

15. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

A couple days ago I was walking back to my Jeep early in the morning. I heard a weird sound so I looked up, way up to the top of a tree in the parking lot here at work.

At the very top of the tree was an owl hooting away. This little birdie would have put BigBird from SesameStreet to shame.

He just kept hooting for 10 more minutes and then decided to fly to the west .. just beautiful!

16. Jason

I haven't seen ours in a couple months now. I hope they come back again this year.

17. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I never saw it but a friend back in the 60's was calling "Yotes" out in the Mojave and swears a big Owl took his hat right off his head, I believe it, had one do something close to me one night in an open jeep...

I love Owls, The owl is my spirit animal.... yea I know, but there it is... has been since I was 15 yo... I know it sounds like New Age BS, but the Owl chose me so HOO am I to argue...( sorry bout that)...:D

OH!! if you like Owls, look up the Saw Whet... beautiful!! all 3 or 4 OZ's of them... coolest of them all!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  18. Jason

We had another great horned owl on the barn roof the other morning when I went out to start my truck before work. I really hope they hang around again this summer.

19. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

That's cool ... we only hear them 'every so often'. :dunno: Hope they stay around for you.