Our garden

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by HozayBuck, Aug 2, 2012.

1. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

This was the first time in my life that I planted tomatoes and actually got a crop! And they were wonderful. The Okra was and still is producing but the wonderful yellow squash are done as are the tomatoes... I miss them already!

That was the extent of the garden this year. But next year it will be bigger and better!..

Damn heat is getting bad.. but I know we can feed ourselves damn near year round!...and with a little spit and sweat we can do it thru the winter.

East Texas is wonderful!!

2. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Borrow this book from the library (or buy a copy for yourself) Four Season Harvest- Elliott Colman. shows how to start late summer plants that last all winter if taken care of in certain ways.. I want to do this but need to fix my green house and make the cold frames.. but in Texas you won't need to make them as durable against the cold that we get here.

3. Davarm

Davarm Texan

Hozay,

I think you are on/about the same latitude, there are a number of things that you can plant in the fall and will produce through the winter.

Cabbage
    Collard
    Beets
    Chard
    Turnips
    Some Mints(with a little attention)

There are others, I am going to do some homework and likely plant some of these things for a winter garden this year.

4. Moby76065

Moby76065 Texan!

That was damn nice of ya LincTex

Great site

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I saw this book the last time I went to the bookstore and had to buy it ... I hope you are happy now! :rolleyes:

By~the~way ... Thanks, great book! :D

Can't wait to give it a try come fall & winter.

6. Emerald

I want it but have my money tied up in other things right now.. I just borrow a copy from the library and drool over it and try to memorize the parts one by one..
    I need to get new plastic for my greenhouse and I did buy stuff to make a cold frame. But so far many things are on the back burner due to family stuff.
    He has a new book out too but can't remember the name of it but it is about the fourseason growing too..

7. HozayBuck

Thank you all!!!

I'm planning a green house, I have to draw out the plan but I got the idea from the "Re-Store" in Tyler, folks donate stuff that still has life and it's resold. they have a ton of old sliding patio doors so I figure I can frame the walls in such a way as to use the sliders.. I can close them when it's colder and open them when it's warm..

Winter nights here get a bit cool but by 10ish it's warming up pretty good .. Just need to figure out where I want to put it.. maybe where it gets morning sun and around 1:00 pm or so the trees will shade it...now to do it lol..

I'd love to have "real" tomatoes all winter...as opposed to those hothouse things that never have the taste to match the look.. my biggest concern is that even in the winter it might get too hot if the sun beats down all day..thus the shade idea..

Again thanks to all for the advice !!

8. Jim1590

Jim1590 Annoying pain in the.... knee

I think there is also a broccoli that you can plant in the fall and harvest late spring. Broccolini I think. I have no exp with it (and the wife is allergic to broccoli) but I recall reading about it. The frost is also supposedly raising the brix count of it. Anyone know more about it?

9. Emerald

I've grown something called Broccoli Raab.. may be the same thing it is sweeter in the fall after a nice frost.. gets icky after a hard frost tho..
    It also tends to be a tad bit bitter.. so I do what the restaurant I worked in did years ago.. I blanch it in boiling salted water till it just wilts and then drain and cool till I am ready to either steam it or fry it with sausage.. it will still have a bit of bitter tang but not unpleasant. reminds me of radicchio and I like that.
    between the fat of the sausage and maybe a bit of good vinegar it really goes well.

10. HozayBuck

Anything you gotta work that hard to kill and then use Vinegar to kill the taste...NOT ME!!! lol I hate Vinegar!

11. Emerald

:rolleyes:
    good for you..:rolleyes: I use vinegar to enhance things not kill the taste..
    there edited for all the little babies in the crowd.. of course I can't have an opinion either.. .

12. Storm8

Storm8 First Sergeant

Someone needs to take a chill pill. We all have different likes and dislikes, just because they differ from others does not make them an ahole.

13. Jim1590

Jim1590 Annoying pain in the.... knee

Nope it was not the Broccoli Raab I was thinking about. I will find out tomorrow what I recall it from. I think it is a old Chinese version that someone brought here to the US, and started selling it. But I am no where near sure on that. I do think that is has a 200 something day growing cycle, it is intended to last the winter before harvest. As for the name it was going under, I will get that soon.

The mild frost may be the same principle in the Raab raising its brix count. As I find more info, I will post it up.

14. HozayBuck

Take a pill girl, I was making a joke... jeeze..but no I don't like the stuff.

15. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Something in the water ... maybe ...:dunno:

16. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Hozay- cherry tomatoes will continue to produce much longer than regular ones in east TX. They're a lot of trouble to slice up for a sandwich but taste much better than a hot house any day.

17. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

We had a greenhouse out in the yead,lots of work .
    Now we have a leanto right up against the house,just step off porch into the GH.Weather no problem,plus the house helps warm it and cool it .

18. HoppeEL4

HoppeEL4 Member

I find myself often envious of other parts of the nation when it comes to dependable enough springs and summers to grow stuff in...Our springs lately have been colder than they should be and it is now just full on summer. Our last two before this were the same way. Cold streak I think, hope it is not an issue this next year.

I opted out of the gardening at all this year. I am going to build some garden beds and get some professionally prepared mulched soil mix...I know how lame. Our soil in this spot is very acidic, in fact our elderly neighbor who has lived in their home since 1958 said he has had to dump about 1000 pounds of lime a year on it in order to grow stuff in it....The only reason I could think why would be these two lots were wooded just before both places were built in 1958 and 1960, so they were never anything but fir trees for centuries....

I really wish I was at least in a spot in Oregon where I could just plop down some starts or seeds and just watch it take off. We live near the Cascades where settlers came through but it was mainly always just logging and some livestock up through those times. Soils is rich, but so acidic the plants have a hard time taking it all up.

We did take a drive up to Hood River Valley today, now that is some incredible farmland and orchards through there. Got some super red ripe tomatoes some cherries and some early apples. That's a place I have always wanted to live.