Other than stocking water.....

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by faithmarie, Apr 15, 2010.

1. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

What other drinks can be stored for long periods of time. How long is the longest you can keep canned juices and bottled juice and soda?

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Juices, and sodas have a relatively short shelf life. http://www.theemergencylady.com/longterm_food_storage_000978.html
    Use within one year:
    • Canned condensed meat and vegetable soups
    • Canned fruits, fruit juices and vegetables
    • Ready-to-eat cereals and uncooked instant cereals (in metal containers)
    • Peanut butter
    • Jelly
    • Hard candy, chocolate bars and canned nuts
    I have dry mixes, lemonade, tea, kool-aid and the like. They keep as long as most long term food. You can get syrup bases for soda pop that would keep longer, just add water and carbonate with CO2 from high pressure cylinder. I make seltzer water from filtered tap water(from the well) and pressurize it with a special cap I made for 2 liter bottles. Works good.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010

3. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I too have a lot of powdered.

I've had Gatorade on the shelves for quite awhile (going on a year now) and it still tastes fine.

4. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Most sodas in aluminum cans may be stored for around a year if stored in a cool dark place. But it will go flat and won't taste very good when you get past that year mark.

They will not last as long in plastic jugs. Probably around 6 months at the most.

I think its about the same with canned and bottled fruit juices but I'm not sure. I just keep canned fruit.

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Bob, I love ya but I've gotta question a few of these.

The canned fruit, juices, veggies, and PB that I have on the shelves right now have expiration dates late into 2011 and as far out as March of 2012. I don't really hold those dates in very high regard either. A couple years ago I found a can of tomato soup that was 2 years beyond it's "best by" date. I just couldn't stifle my curiosity so I popped it open. I don't know how much nutritional value may have been lost but it tasted fine and I'm still around to pick on you. ;)

6. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

The Lady of the Manor keeps tons of EmergenC, mix with H2O...is loaded with mega good stuff.... makes a good drink and gives Vits! if I'm going to mix anything with my water it may as well be real good for me...

and I love Peppermint Tea when it's cold and damp and my old bones hurt...so, lots of that...

Not going to stock pop and that kind of wasted calories and space and money...

I but stuff from this outfit and it's always good... check it out...

Powdered Dried Whole Eggs - Freeze Dried Fruit - Blanched Almond Flour - Steel C - Home

7. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

I was just wondering... I was watching that movie "waterborn" and all I got out of it was .... what else can I store to drink besides water.
    We love EmergenC!
    We also buy lemon juice "minute maid" frozen and make lemon aide with stevia everyday. We never drink soda.
    My Grandfather when he got old and lived alone would eat all kinds of stuff long past its expiration date. I would yell at him. Even jellies with mold on top! He would just remove the mold and eat. But he wouldn't eat anything if the top was bulging.
    He was in WW2. He was brave.
    I find canned beans don't last long for my taste.... they just kind of disintegrate.

8. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Luv you back man, I just copied and pasted from a site the info, that also contained the juice shelf life.
    I wholeheartedly agree with the canned goods shelf life that you talk about, remember one thread where we discussed this very thing, about the canned goods found that were 100 years old, then opened and tested? http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm I'm a advocate of storing can goods well beyond their stated shelf life, as long as you take care of the environment around them, watching for symptoms of spoilage such as bulged or leaking ones. When opened fully heat and cook the contents to destroy any potential hidden pathogens.
    The nutritional value will be in question, but my belly really wouldn't care if its full.:D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  9. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Thanks BunkerBob for the website.
    I keep powdered vitamin c and so I could add a little to your canned food when ready to eat. There are foods we eat today that should be eaten with lemon or some kind of vitamin c for the body to assimilate the nutrients.
    I am currently looking for powdered, freeze dried or granulated lemon juice.

10. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Waterborne was an amazing movie with lots of scenerio's about what could happen if someone was to actually pull that off.

Liquids weight alot and are also hard to transport because of that weight, but, there are systems that are easily used to keep water around. A water-cooler with re-fillable bottles works very well - keep the extra bottles in a cool / dark place (basement) and rotate the stock.

If you have a well (or on city-water), install a cold water-tank into the plumbing of your house. Think of the cold water-tank as being similar to a hot water-tank without the extra goodies such as insulation and a heating element. Plumbed directly into the house system it will always refresh, put an automatic "back-flow" valve so that the water in the tank does not flow backwards into the main-line and make sure that you can turn off the valve to the main-line as well. From the bottom of the cold water-tank, have a manual valve so that you can drain the tank into smaller / easily transported containers for use.

Beyond that - like others have said, having juice-boxes (tetra-pak) and plastic bottles of juices stored in a cool / dark area of the basement will help keep them fresh - but - rotate the stocks so that you are always using the oldest first.

Emergency water-packs (tetra-pak and water-bag style) are also easy to get and store. I have both the tetra-pak and bag-style at home and stored in the basement. I purchase in case-lots, toss a few into each vehicle, a few into each BOB and have a few in my "lunch-box" at work. My lunch-box is a 3-week food-based survival kit that I keep under my desk built out of a large plastic tool-box. The top tray holds my "sugar supply" and the bottom area keeps my LTS foods from noodle-packs, granola bars (and cereal), pudding packs, power-bars, etc.

The more "systems" that you can implement into your home / vehicle / work the better prepared you become.

11. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

For staying put, I found these an interesting option. I have not done a ton of research on them, but it could work for large storage of water.
    Rainwater HOG

12. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

I love those two websites!
    I will have fun looking up foods i want to store and The rain hog is a great idea.
    We have a dry well in our basement and last year my Hubby hooked up a hose and pump to the dry well.... that always has water in it and ran a hose up to the kitchen. I teased him about it. It is an unsightly looking thing....
    My Husband has a gutter company and recommends these Hog things and other things to people here.