Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Function over Form
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here use so-called "mind mapping" software for organizing and visualizing their prep process? I came across this while looking for something to help with outlines/conceptualization/note-taking on a non-prep project.

Basically, the mind mapping software will allow you to visually create an "idea" bubble that holds whatever text you type. You then draw sub-bubbles for sub-ideas and add your thoughts.

The kicker is that some of these mind mapping programs can create a linear outline AND index from your maps. I would think you could link content (objects such as files, photos, web links, etc.) from the same outline. Also, there seems to be improving support for mobile device integration. Imagine being able to brainstorm when you are at the tire store, doctor's office, etc. Especially so if you are able to use a "cloud" server to make the same working copy available wherever you are.

I'm still kicking around the idea of a wiki-style group effort to complete a generic prep outline. The generic outline could help you start your preps or fill holes in your current preps. There are a few outlines out there that would form an excellent base for such a project, kind of like the BoB list we worked on a while back.

These are just budding thoughts. And I'm tech savvy... but not too network savvy. Please chime in if you have more ideas!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I helped a boss (Phd in Psychology of course) use the "Brain" mapping software back in the early 90's. Looked like a big time/money killer for management types that had trouble thinking logically and in a linear fashion. It was the new management toy trend for a week or so.

Didnt see much need for it, but Eskimo's WILL buy ice if it is properly packaged.

·
Central TX
3 Posts
Fn/form introduced the program to us. We have used the Xmind program for a few months. It is awesome. It really helps organize and see the big picture. It is especially useful with organizing the gazillion PDF, Excel, Word doc "library" and references we have for preparing. We are also using a private wiki to facilitate group involvement in the prep planning and organization. Whenever anyone makes a document edit or file upload everyone in the group is e-mailed with the actual changes.

I am on a big survival e-mail list and the mod said he didn't think the software was useful for people. He did not approve my post for the list. What a maroon!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Perhaps one of the greatest intellects that ever lived used "mind mapping". However, he did it without a computer. I think any tool that people find useful is helpful. I need to check this program out. Is it Open Source?

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I'm not grasping the concept, so clearly you guys are out of my league on this. I found it intrigueing to read, and a bit envious of those who understand what you're talking about! :D

Does it count that I can keep a pretty accurate running inventory in my head, whether it's our preps, our finances, or whatever? :dunno:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm not grasping the concept, so cleary you guys are out of my league on this. I found it intrigueing to read, and a bit envious of those who understand what you're talking about! :D

Does it count that I can keep a pretty accurate running intory in my head, whether it's our preps, our finances, or whatever? :dunno:
I would say it does count! If the grid goes down, the human brain still functions. Well, it does for most people...

·
Function over Form
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The basic program is free. The pay-for version will allow you to automatically export Microsoft Word outlines from your mind maps. It will also allow creation of Gantt charts, etc. We use the free version.

Here is a simple snapshot of a research project.

You can see here how it allows you to add web links, file links (PDF and Excel spreadsheet in this example).

Our entire project has about 16 different categories. If a group member has to move far away, they have an excellent starting point without having to re-hash, re-search all over again.

·
Function over Form
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not grasping the concept, so clearly you guys are out of my league on this. I found it intrigueing to read, and a bit envious of those who understand what you're talking about! :D

Does it count that I can keep a pretty accurate running inventory in my head, whether it's our preps, our finances, or whatever? :dunno:
We all need someone in the group who has a running head tally of what's going on!

But what happens if that person dies or is otherwise mentally disabled? Car crash, homestead accident, etc. What happens if one group member has to move far away and start over? What can you give to a trusted, serious newcomer to help minimize the explaining and teaching everything all over again?

With this program you do three things. You preserve your plans and written resources should the unthinkable happen. You visualize your major categories and it helps close some of the gaps. And you can use it to greatly facilitate group communication and efficiency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts