Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
WOW!!!
But then why should we be surprised that another corporation is trying to deceive the masses.

·
The Silver Cow
38 Posts
you've got to be kidding!:eek: :mad:

unreal. grow your own!!!!
That's the best quality control, for sure. If you cannot grow everything then seek a local product that you can verify as organic.

It is amazing how this nation has killed our agragarian productivity. Since WWII American farms have sharply declined in numbers. :scratch:

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Organic is not a Synonym for local. We live in a buyer beware economy. If your not checking you labels no one tricked you. You tricked yourself. If people had been paying attention it never would have happened.

·
The Silver Cow
38 Posts
No, you are right it isn't, but I did say seek a local product that you can verify is organic. In the communities I have and do live in there are local farms you can visit and see how they conduct their farming techniques. I am happy to say that there are a lot of small farms (relative to corporate farms) that are very straightforward in their practices and are willing to share their process with the consumer. :)

Empirical evidence trumps a label any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Half the pepper and tomatoe seeds I looked at this year for my garden had origin China in small lettering on the back of the package. :eek: Scrutinize Livingston Seed Co. The school Mrs. Sailaway teaches at has a food sale to raise money, the case of asparagras we bought said procuct of China in small letters, burried on the back.:eek:

·
wanna be prepared
71 Posts
The fact that a store is called whole foods and sells packaged crap is just plain funny. Those stores should be all local growers of organic produce!
Tsk tsk..Im excited for the summer so I can go to the farmers market every weekend and get stuff I cant be bothered to grow myself!
I want to start raising rabbits for meat too :sssh: I dont want my vegan husband to hear,LOL

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I have two markets within walkin' distance of my work, and, in the summer time I will walk over and get fresh vegies. The year 'round weekend farmer's market (Crossroads) is another one that I will goto for fresh baking, meat, vegies, etc.

With Easter comin' up, I can go and purchase my fill of Paska-bread (literal translation, EasterBread). Its almost as good as my grandma's paska, but, with her being buried, she can't make it for me anymore, and, I haven't found out who got all her recipes. The recipes that I have tried never seem to be right either ... :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have two markets within walkin' distance of my work, and, in the summer time I will walk over and get fresh vegies. The year 'round weekend farmer's market (Crossroads) is another one that I will goto for fresh baking, meat, vegies, etc.

With Easter comin' up, I can go and purchase my fill of Paska-bread (literal translation, EasterBread). Its almost as good as my grandma's paska, but, with her being buried, she can't make it for me anymore, and, I haven't found out who got all her recipes. The recipes that I have tried never seem to be right either ... :cry:
There is one ingredient that your grandmother used that you can't duplicate, her love.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
There is one ingredient that your grandmother used that you can't duplicate, her love.
Please - you are bringin' tears to my eyes ... I still miss her so much, even after so many years.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Please - you are bringin' tears to my eyes ... I still miss her so much, even after so many years.
Yea, me too. No not yours; mine. :rolleyes: She's been gone since '99 and there is so much I could have learned from her.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I know what you mean there Joe. My grandma passed away a couple weeks after my brother got married and a few days before my poppa turned 50. My dad didn't get a 50th party - no one really could handle it.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Easterbread????????? Paska-bread ???

You can't stop there ... I want a recipe. :D

Sorry ... off OP:confused: but I had to ask.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
No, you are right it isn't, but I did say seek a local product that you can verify is organic. In the communities I have and do live in there are local farms you can visit and see how they conduct their farming techniques. I am happy to say that there are a lot of small farms (relative to corporate farms) that are very straightforward in their practices and are willing to share their process with the consumer. :)

Empirical evidence trumps a label any day of the week.
I was referring to the actual clip. The were treating organic and local as synonyms.

·
Meoww
643 Posts
I absolutely refuse to eat anything that comes from China or Mexico. That being said I go to the farmers market. They only let you sell what you grow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts