organic food from China?

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by bunkerbob, Mar 11, 2010.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

OMG!!!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ31Ljd9T_Y]YouTube - Whole Foods Market "Organic" food made in China !!!![/ame]

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

WOW!!!
    But then why should we be surprised that another corporation is trying to deceive the masses.

3. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

you've got to be kidding!:eek: :mad:

unreal. grow your own!!!!

4. AlterCow

AlterCow The Silver Cow

That's the best quality control, for sure. If you cannot grow everything then seek a local product that you can verify as organic.

It is amazing how this nation has killed our agragarian productivity. Since WWII American farms have sharply declined in numbers. :scratch:

5. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Organic is not a Synonym for local. We live in a buyer beware economy. If your not checking you labels no one tricked you. You tricked yourself. If people had been paying attention it never would have happened.

6. AlterCow

AlterCow The Silver Cow

No, you are right it isn't, but I did say seek a local product that you can verify is organic. In the communities I have and do live in there are local farms you can visit and see how they conduct their farming techniques. I am happy to say that there are a lot of small farms (relative to corporate farms) that are very straightforward in their practices and are willing to share their process with the consumer. :)

Empirical evidence trumps a label any day of the week.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Half the pepper and tomatoe seeds I looked at this year for my garden had origin China in small lettering on the back of the package. :eek: Scrutinize Livingston Seed Co. The school Mrs. Sailaway teaches at has a food sale to raise money, the case of asparagras we bought said procuct of China in small letters, burried on the back.:eek:

8. twolilfishies

twolilfishies wanna be prepared

The fact that a store is called whole foods and sells packaged crap is just plain funny. Those stores should be all local growers of organic produce!
    Tsk tsk..Im excited for the summer so I can go to the farmers market every weekend and get stuff I cant be bothered to grow myself!
    I want to start raising rabbits for meat too :sssh: I dont want my vegan husband to hear,LOL

9. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I have two markets within walkin' distance of my work, and, in the summer time I will walk over and get fresh vegies. The year 'round weekend farmer's market (Crossroads) is another one that I will goto for fresh baking, meat, vegies, etc.

With Easter comin' up, I can go and purchase my fill of Paska-bread (literal translation, EasterBread). Its almost as good as my grandma's paska, but, with her being buried, she can't make it for me anymore, and, I haven't found out who got all her recipes. The recipes that I have tried never seem to be right either ... :cry:

10. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

There is one ingredient that your grandmother used that you can't duplicate, her love.

11. NaeKid

Please - you are bringin' tears to my eyes ... I still miss her so much, even after so many years.

12. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Yea, me too. No not yours; mine. :rolleyes: She's been gone since '99 and there is so much I could have learned from her.

13. NaeKid

I know what you mean there Joe. My grandma passed away a couple weeks after my brother got married and a few days before my poppa turned 50. My dad didn't get a 50th party - no one really could handle it.

14. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Easterbread????????? Paska-bread ???

You can't stop there ... I want a recipe. :D

Sorry ... off OP:confused: but I had to ask.

15. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I was referring to the actual clip. The were treating organic and local as synonyms.

16. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

I absolutely refuse to eat anything that comes from China or Mexico. That being said I go to the farmers market. They only let you sell what you grow.