Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Oregon. I've been "prepping" for several years and have quite a few supplies, but I recently moved from Southern California to Oregon for a variety of reasons, including anticipation of our economic collapse (which may even include our infrastructure), and consequently I am temporarily in an awkward position because most of my preps are in a rented storage warehouse. :(

I was hoping to find some like minded people near enough geographically that we could get together occasionally, even if only for moral support. It's somewhat depressing to be the only one (as far as I know) in this entire area that's concerned about the impending economic and most likely societal collapse. Everyone goes about their business with their expensive toys as though happy days are ahead, and yet there are vacant and foreclosed houses littering the landscape of almost everywhere I look. It would be nice to know a few people in person I could trust during the collapse just in case it isn't as mild as the "Great Depression" so if there are any members of this forum in my area, you are invited to contact me.

I'm temporarily renting a house in Troutdale, Oregon with the intent of finding a house in a defensible or "survivable" neighborhood somewhere around the Portland area. If there are any other members who might be able to clue me in on some outlying areas where there are other gun owners that would be reasonably protected from what might be roving and pillaging mobs of angry and hungry ill prepared "sheeple" (or ex-sheeple) please let me know.

I would much rather live elsewhere, but unfortunately I must remain reasonably close to a hospital and rheumatologist because I have rheumatoid arthritis and have to see my rheumatologist every two months for a checkup and blood tests, etc. I realize this puts me in a bad position (ie; a dead duck!) when TSHTF, but I have no choice but to make do as best I can.

Note to the Admin: I would like to be placed on the map please.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

There are other members in your part of the country. Hopefully you'll come across them on here!

Sounds like you made a smart move!

:)

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Welcome, I too am a South Cali transplant. Born and raised, left because it is quickly becoming a 3rd World Country...:(

I am a big advocate of Organic Wheat Grass Powder, won't preach on it but swear by it!:D

Wheatgrass for Arthritis |

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome to the forums :wave:

I'm about a 2 hr drive from you here in central Oregon at least for another couple weeks, I leave for a job in North Dakota at the end of the month.

Have you ever thought of moving to the Bend area? Has top notch Docs and is way less crazy than Portland, even better would be Redmond, good Docs there to and your less than 20 miles from Bend. Lots of good bargains on property...:dunno: Just a thought.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you ever thought of moving to the Bend area? Has top notch Docs and is way less crazy than Portland, even better would be Redmond, good Docs there to and your less than 20 miles from Bend.....
Thanks for the tip ajsmith, I will look into it. The reason I haven't seriously considered Bend or nearby towns is that it is about a 4 or 5 hour drive on mountain roads away from the nearest major town (Portland or Eugene) and from the I-5 freeway where food and goods are transported by truck. Also, according to Wikipedia, in June 2007 Bend was named the most overpriced housing market in America. That may have changed since the housing collapse however.

In looking for rheumatologists in the smaller towns surrounding Portland, I noticed that the little town of Hood River, Oregon has a rheumatologist and what appears to be a reasonably sized hospital. Although somewhat remote, it is on a major freeway (I-84) and is far enough away from Portland to be pretty well isolated from Portland "refugees" hopefully. Do you (or anyone) have any opinion on or insight into living in Hood River, Oregon?

I'm concerned that when gasoline becomes extremely expensive, and perhaps even rationed or unavailable altogether, that no supplies would go to Bend, Oregon because of its inaccessibility. In fact, I expect the infrastructure to break down at some point so badly that the government (city, county, state, or whoever is responsible for plowing snow off the roads) would no longer plow the roads to/from Bend and the "outside world" and it would be entirely cutoff causing Bend residents to be among the first to starve. It may be that Bend has adequate rail service so that is wouldn't be a problem. I should look into that more thoroughly.

I'm sorry to see you go. I would be willing to drive a couple of hours just to meet someone besides myself who can see the handwriting on the wall instead of remaining blissfully ignorant until the feces finally hits the fan for real.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Welcome Aboard! from the north coast. Sail:wave:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Welcome! Glad to hear about your move, sounds like you are happy with it.

How about Corvallis or the surrounding area? Willamette Valley area in general?

By the way, I highly recommend the book, "Dies the Fire" by S.M. Stirling. Great post-apocalyptic novel series which takes place in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... How about Corvallis or the surrounding area? Willamette Valley area in general?

By the way, I highly recommend the book, "Dies the Fire" by S.M. Stirling. ...
I've seriously considered the Corvallis area and have even looked into the price of houses there about a year ago. House prices there were well above average and the nearest Rheumatologist is in either Salem or Albany. Rheumatologists are surprisingly scarce, besides my wife had her heart set on Portland. I love the weather in Portland, but the crowds and congestion are scary when you think about what would happen if the supply chain for essentials were cut off for even a short period of time. Obviously I'm a dead duck if I can't "Bug in" and everything truly becomes "Mad Max" territory. We could survive for at least six months and probably a year without any sort of supplies except water, and it rains enough here a person could probably get enough water with a rain catchment system -- assuming I could avoid all the crime and violence that would probably be happening around me.

"Dies the Fire" is on order. Thanks for the tip, and a big thank you to all who welcomed me here.

~ Ron

·
232 Posts
Hello from another Oregonian! The city of Corvallis itself is higher priced because they have strict growth laws, so demand is higher than supply. Albany is the cheaper alternative next door, though. If you're willing to live outside of a town, there's a lot of space around the Salem area that you might find cheaper, but still be able to drive to Salem when needed. Cheaper than Portland, I'd think. Anyway, welcome to the forum!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts