Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are like a$$holes and everyone has one. I am starting to narrow down my initial firearm to a few choices and am looking for some ideas.
Needs:
Versatility meaning bird, deer, humans if it comes to it :D
Large onboard ammo
Ease of use
Ease acquisition
Low price point - 3-500
Based on these I have been pointed in the direction of a combo system such as the Remington 870 express or Mossberg 500. These systems come with 2 barrels and scope.

I have considered looking used for 2 rifles; one for bird such a Mossberg 500 and one for deer such a Remington 710. Any opinions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
They are like a$$holes and everyone has one. I am starting to narrow down my initial firearm to a few choices and am looking for some ideas.
Needs:
Large onboard ammo
Ease of use
Ease acquisition
Low price point - 3-500
Based on these I have been pointed in the direction of a combo system such as the Remington 870 express or Mossberg 500. These systems come with 2 barrels and scope.

I have considered looking used for 2 rifles; one for bird such a Mossberg 500 and one for deer such a Remington 710. Any opinions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
I think the question would be easier to answer if we knew what sort of deer hunting range you have in your area. If most of your shots would be about 50 yards more or less, the Mossberg 500 is an excellent choice. Scoped, using sabots, a 50 + yard shot is easily within the capability of that firearm. In fact, shots upwards of 100 yards in not unreasonable. Switch the barrels, and you are in business for birds'n'bunnies.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the question would be easier to answer if we knew what sort of deer hunting range you have in your area. If most of your shots would be about 50 yards more or less, the Mossberg 500 is an excellent choice. Scoped, using sabots, a 50 + yard shot is easily within the capability of that firearm. In fact, shots upwards of 100 yards in not unreasonable. Switch the barrels, and you are in business for birds'n'bunnies.
Good call. From my bow hunting, I never make a shot over 10-15yds, so for guns it would be under 50 for sure.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It sure sounds like a shotgun is a great choice for you. Different loads give you the ability to bag small or large game birds, bunnies, large game and use for self defense.

I like the 12 gauge, some folks who don't like the recoil of a 12 will opt for a 20 gauge. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1 on the shotgun, a pump Mossburg is an excellent firearm, I own 3 of them myself...
I recommend shopping around at Pawn shops for one, you rarely find one with 2 barrels but you can save enough money buying used you can buy a slug barrel (if you even want one direct from mossburg for around $100)
I also would suggest a Marlin or Ruger .22 rifle, very handy and cheap to shoot.
Harry

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
+
I also would suggest a Marlin or Ruger .22 rifle, very handy and cheap to shoot.
Harry
Alum, you are absolutely correct, IMHO. The .22 is the most versatile weapon in the world, again IMHO. It is the cheapest to shoot, it is by far the best beginner's cartridge for handgun and rifle, it is great for small game and in competent hands, it will bring down a deer ricky ticky.

In fact, it seems to me I remember reading that for some time years ago the world record brown bear was held by a woman in the North country who killed a rogue brownie that was trying to enter her cabin through a window. She popped it in the eye with a .22 rifle. Gotta love a woman with that sort of spunk. :2thumb:

My wife took a .357 and a flashlight into the night a number of years ago when a (black) bear tried to get into our pigs. Like I said, ya gotta love a woman with that sort of spunk. :beercheer:

·
Afraid, very afraid
145 Posts
+1 on the 22 - almost any 22.

On the shotgun front - given the "requirement" of "large on board ammo"; I would eliminate the Moss 500.
It is a fine gun indeed. BUT, you cannot increase the magazine capacity. So you would have to go with the 9-shot - which is kinda "awkward" for hunting. IMHO. Whereas the 870 you can use the standard mag and add a mag extension for serious personal defense work. (The winchesters also have this option.)
Another idea on the shotgun capacity, is the use of the Aquila shorter ammo. Increases capacity - at the cost of power. BTW, these only work in the 870. I believe it is Sentry that also has a "short" round for PD. These work in anything without the great power loss.
JMTW

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I joined the ranks of the tracked today when I purchased a slightly used Mossberg 500A. I am excited to join the group of firearm owners and add power to the cause. I will post up again once I take her to the range.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Congrats! Remember - ALWAYS point it in a safe direction and finger off the trigger until you want something perferated. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Needs:
Large onboard ammo
Ease of use
Ease acquisition
Low price point - 3-500

I'm coming to this discussion kinda late but would like to offer a comment or two

As for the shotgun, I think it's the cats ass when it comes to CQB and it's fine for taking big game with slugs , but as far as using it for surviving it's loud , the shells are heavy in quantity , using it for birds is a loose loose equation, killing a bird for food can be done just as well with a 22 rifle or pistol for that matter with little noise and little loss of editable meat, and for the weight of the shot shells you can carry a lot of 22LR... if one is planning to live off the land and avoid people the something like a savage over under in 12 ga / 223 or 30-30 would be a good choice, and a Ruger 22 Heavy BBL 22 auto pistol with adjustable sights can knock the heads of of grouse and other small game.. I do believe there is somebody who makes inserts for the 223 to shoot 22lr in the savage..

Just my thoughts on the subject, with this combo you could carry 20 rounds of buckshot and the same in slugs and plenty of the other in place of birdshot...

HB

·
Registered
55 Posts
Opinions....

I also 3-MOSSBERGS 'I learned to respect them in VietNam/Sheriff's SWAT' you don't want to underestimate them or overestimate them, they are an effective tool which is designed to do it's job very well. As far as onboard capacity is concerned you have; bolt-on sidesaddles, strap-on mag slings, and accessory ammo-carrying bandoliers. Once you learn to 'combat shoot' you need to learn to 'combat load' [feed your magazine tube as you shoot] this will eliminate the need to overload the weight and balance of your weapon, while still having reloading capability close at hand. The reason I own 3 of the same is for; backup, redundancy, spare parts interchangability, and dedicated usage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 2cents. Congrats on your purchase and becoming one of the tracked. You might as well join the NRA if your not already a member. Private sales of firearms do not require that BATF form to be filled out or a background check.

I would go with the 870, marine finish, 3.5" chamber. Way more after market accessories, parts, etc. then any other shotgun. A 3.5" 00 buckshot at less then 50yds will make most 2 and 4 legged critters dead or beg you to give them another to put them out of there misery. Then switch shells to a 2.75" # 7 or 8 shot for the little critters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts